May I Ask You Guys' Nationality?

Golden Retriever

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is not about where you came from, but where you are! It is not about what you were born as, but what you've become. It is not about how you die, but how you live.

Be happy with what you are. Find no fault in yourself or others, and live life one day at a time.

I think you're mostly right there. I don't totally agree with this statement, because my parents and the 10 years I spent in England have initially shaped the person I am. Although I have lived in Thailand and Australia for a significant part of my life, it hasn't changed me to the extent that I would call myself Australian. Yet I feel a part of Australian society and feel more comfortable in Australia than I do in England. I obtained my first Australian passport maybe 4 years ago and I felt overwhelmed looking at it because I suddenly realised that by taking Australian citizenship, it represented me moving away from the straight 'Englishness' of the first 18 years of my life. I took it home and put it away into a drawer so I wouldn't see it! However I can now carry the two passports quite comfortably.

At least I'm not like some English people I went to school with who never even lived in England until they went to university... that would be tough to deal with.

I agree wholeheartedly with Suegha's comment (above) :o

I was born in the suburbs of Sydney - not a very trendy burb mind you. In fact, that burb has always had a less than popular reputation. Feeling, quite young, that it was not my destiny to carry that unpopular flag, I left... as soon as possible.

I've travelled all over the world and in many countries felt very at home. I felt I belonged and could live in many places. Each and every on of these places (including many beautiful east-coast towns in Australia) has shaped me into the person I am today.

Even though I carry an Aussie passport - my birthright- I feel more Thai every day (my home now). If I moved to to Latin America, I'm sure I would eventually feel latina.... I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Why not feel comfortble in your own skin no matter which country we call home? Each of us are citizens of the world after all! :D

I was born somewhere other than Oz.....but I am an Aussie......

I haver never been back to my birthplace in 38 years and never want to....I served in the army here...I am a citizen....and I love drinking pi$s and Aussie Rules.... :D

It wasn't great today. :D Those <deleted> did us.

Yeah they needed a near full strength team to beat a half strength team.....wait till the real game begins. :D

I agree wholeheartedly with Suegha's comment (above) :o

I was born in the suburbs of Sydney - not a very trendy burb mind you. In fact, that burb has always had a less than popular reputation. Feeling, quite young, that it was not my destiny to carry that unpopular flag, I left... as soon as possible.

I've travelled all over the world and in many countries felt very at home. I felt I belonged and could live in many places. Each and every on of these places (including many beautiful east-coast towns in Australia) has shaped me into the person I am today.

Even though I carry an Aussie passport - my birthright- I feel more Thai every day (my home now). If I moved to to Latin America, I'm sure I would eventually feel latina.... I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Why not feel comfortble in your own skin no matter which country we call home? Each of us are citizens of the world after all! :D

I agree Khall.....If you assimilate into a country you will eventually be accepted into that country....

There are too many farang that want their new chosen country to be the same as their old country, If they want to change the new country into the old country, why the harriet did they move in the first place. :D

But this is the funny thing. I didn't and still don't realise how Aussie I am. I have assimilated into Australian culture. I know all the Aussie TV personalities, have enthusiasm for Australian current affairs and events and so on. But for some funny reason, old country or not, I am still English. It's still important to me.

When I lived in Thailand, I thought I was dead set English, but looking back now I realise that I preferred flip flops to closed toe shoes in the 90s, wore what Thai teens wore, celebrated Thai holidays enthusiastically and went through Thai fads and so on outside of school.

My sister told me last night that on her first day of school in Australia, someone told her 'seeya', but she didn't know what it meant as she didn't understand the accent at all... I laughed until I cried... she was also really upset that day because she was given a map of Australia and was instructed to draw in the state boundaries and state/national capitals. She got 1/10 for putting Melbourne on the map. The upside is that she tells me she is a very happy Aussie, uses seeya all the time and knows all the capitals, where to put them and how many states and territories there are. It's the little things that count :o

I was born somewhere other than Oz.....but I am an Aussie......

Glad somebody took you in then, gb :D:o

On your death bed you'll be hankering for the motherland, like the geezer who wished he'd drank more bubbly :D