Chiang Mai Alr Quality

watgate

Will the quality, or should I say, lack of quality of the air in Chiang Mai shorten an individuals life span, especially those who live here full-time? I have been here about 5 weeks now and I developed a bad case of bronchitis/sinusitis which is now being treated with antibiotics amongst other drugs. I am in excellent health and was doing a lot of bicycling and swimming prior to my current malady. As I ride around Chiang Mai and see the pervasive Somgthaews and Tuk-tuks spewing their noxious fumes all over the city,as well as the countless cars and motorbikes and buses spewing their exhaust into the air around the city it has me wondering if breathing this pollution on a daily basis has a cumulative effect on ones overall health. I guess those fortunate to live outside the city and the congestion might have a better chance or better odds of not jeopardizing or hurting ones health. It will be interesting to get some input from some of the folks who live here full-time or most of the year to see if they have encountered any health issues which could be as a result of the pervasive air pollution in Chiang Mai.

Ooowwhgh, cough, gasp, I haven't, cough, really noticed, gasp, anything excessive, arrhhhghh.

If you are from a major city probably no different, but if from a clean area then it could well adversly affect you. Personally heading home to a multi year run of clean air soon, but will have to survive another burn off first.

I had the same problem after arriving from a clean city to CM. Walking anywhere near crowded narrow streets was really bad.

I noticed the Somgthaews run on diesel, poorly tuned engines and thus lots of smoke. Tuk-tuks are mainly on LPG now.

A move out of the city has resulted in a cooler environment, and far less fumes. However, tonight the air is very smoky.

Can't have it all ways I guess.

I believe it does affect the length of your life. Not for the better either. I think most of the year round residents are used to it. In fact it is better than where some of us come from.

For most of us who live here year round we don't notice any difference in are day to day living. But as another poster mentioned we do not come from a clean air environment.

But come the burning season and it makes no difference where you are in or out of town the smoke is so bad that the hospitals and doctors get many more respiratory complaints. It can and does get my eyes to burn a little bit.