Turkey

kennedy

Spactchcock the turkey. I also love to brine all poultry - amazing results.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html

you could also quarter it and roast the dark and white meat portions separately since white meat requires a shorter cooking time.

As for brining, the turkeys I have seen in Thailand are either Norbest or Butterball, and they are already injected with lots of saline solution, so further brining wouldn't help.

• Like 1

back home in UK you could buy a bone- in Turkey breast stuffed and ready to bake.

So,in theory, saw off the breast and bake it.

Saw off the thighs,wings and legs and refreeze them

Stew up the carcass with some veg.

I was thinking of doing this,either still frozen or partly frozen.

Spactchcock the turkey. I also love to brine all poultry - amazing results.

http://www.seriousea...atchcocked.html

you could also quarter it and roast the dark and white meat portions separately since white meat requires a shorter cooking time.

As for brining, the turkeys I have seen in Thailand are either Norbest or Butterball, and they are already injected with lots of saline solution, so further brining wouldn't help.

Thank you for pointing that out, I was thinking poultry in general, I forgot the frozen ones are already injected. I've had the local fresh turkey which I did brine in parts and it was fantastic.

good lord, we are using the same oven.

that is a shlt oven, there is practically no insulation and temperature would not be constant and properly circulated. do not destroy the bird by baking it whole. if you really want to bake it, you will need to separate the thighs and breast. sear it, then off it goes in the oven at max (250) temp

if you are going for the deep frying option, just don't overfill and put in the bird very slowly.

Deep frying turkey is great, but you need a turky fryer, a lot of space outside and good insurance. I have at times cooked a turkey on my BBQ grill using indirect heat, (light 2 burners and place turky on unlit 3rd), but needs to be turned as heat hotter on one side and use thermometer to test when done. Sometimes I just use 2 chicken breasts, stuff in between and use tooth picks to hold together.

The turkey fryers we used back home were simply a large deep fryer with a handle to pick up bird, but it has to be completely dryed or you WILL get a grease explosion.

• 2 weeks later...