New Chinese Restaurant In Pratumnak "the Chow Box" Anyone Tried The Food Yet?

media

Yeah, that made to order "buffet" idea appears to be popular in Thailand. I'm not a big fan as it ties you to the portion size in the order but having stuff supposedly "cooked fresh" is a plus. Saigon Cafe's orders were generally about 1/2 the size as full menu orders and that worked pretty well. But in some cases the actually QUALITY and/or content of what was on the buffet order was inferior to full price menu items described the same, and that's not so good.

Oh wait, I just saw a catch on that China Garden menu. Are they including WHITE RICE? That would be crappy on an "all you can eat" Chinese food and having to pay extra for rice. I see they are including egg fried rice but I wouldn't want to eat that with all those dishes they offer, and also it could be a crafty trick to get you to eat less pricey stuff as greasy egg fried rice is much more cheaply filling than plain white rice.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good question, I agree that would be dumb but the all you can eat places usually have some ways of minimizing their losses like having overpriced beverages. If it is all you can eat though I wouldn't mind paying for one bowl of rice and using it sparingly with all of the dishes. Who wants to fill up on rice anyway.

Anyway, the saucily named CHOW BOX appears open for business. I am quite curious to know if there is an ownership connection with China Garden or perhaps a connection with the ORIGINAL British chef from China Garden, as the menu at Chow Box appears to be so very similar to China Garden.

I probably won't be the pioneer here. Anyone who tries Chow Box, can you let us know what you think, and if you know, how the food rates compared to China Garden, and, if you get the chance, can you ask if there is a connection to China Garden?

Edited by Jingthing

I know this thread is about the Chow Box and Jingthing tried to bring it back on topic, since it was already discussed though I just want to confirm that the China Garden buffet does not appear to be cooked to order as I thought. Looking forward to trying it out or hearing from anyone who has.

post-140839-0-04442800-1355400789_thumb.

• Like 2

Yeah, PAO is coming back and that is good news, but there is still quite a bit of business potential for restauranteurs wanting to offer better (and more authentic) Chinese food in Pattaya.

As far as British style Chinese food, I don't really know what that is, but what I've tried in Pattaya I'm guessing doesn't represent good examples of that. There is such a thing as American style Chinese food as well, and that is not authentic either but sometimes CAN be good. For example stir fried good quality beef with Western broccoli can be very delicious. I'd welcome any variations of GOOD Chinese food in town, American Chinese, Taiwan Chinese, Sechuan Chinese, you name it. Right now, its almost a desert here for Chinese food lovers.

I really don't understand that either. There is serviceable food here (and sometimes MUCH better) at at least at a number of places for other varieties of food here, including Korean, Indian, Iranian, and Italian, etc.. But Chinese really one of the most popular food types in the world, isn't happening in Pattaya.

I guess that the lack of a Chinese food as apposed to the others you mention, is due to the fact that we don't have many (or any) Chinese that have moved to Pattaya. The other ethnic restaurants are run by nations of the country whose food they serve.

The big hotels like Dusit, Royal Cliff and Montien have Chinese Chefs working for them but most are from Hong Kong or Hong Kong trained so that means Cantonese and of course they are pricy!

I lived in Honk Kong for 8 years and like good Cantonese cuisine, but there you also had the choice of good Szechuan, Peikinese, Teh Chew and other Chinese regional cuisines.

With a name like Chow Box...I'd be amazed if it wasn't authentic delicious Chinese cuisine.

Apparently 'Chow Box' is slang for something more like Japanese sushi than Chinese food.

Anyway, IF the menu I found online for a place called Chow Box is actually what is going to be offered at Chow Box, its some kind of British-Chinese food.

It's not uncommon to have a variant of the real deal which tastes better. Many Farang could prefer the British variant of Chinese food more than real Chinese food. Chinese food is extremely common in the The Netherlands and I prefer that variant to the real thing.

This reminds me of a friend who enjoys the Thai food in Australia more than what he gets here.

In the end, the food that an individual prefers is the best food.

Edited by tropo

With a name like Chow Box...I'd be amazed if it wasn't authentic delicious Chinese cuisine.

Apparently 'Chow Box' is slang for something more like Japanese sushi than Chinese food.

Anyway, IF the menu I found online for a place called Chow Box is actually what is going to be offered at Chow Box, its some kind of British-Chinese food.

It's not uncommon to have a variant of the real deal which tastes better. Many Farang could prefer the British variant of Chinese food more than real Chinese food. Chinese food is extremely common in the The Netherlands and I prefer that variant to the real thing.

This reminds me of a friend who enjoys the Thai food in Australia more than what he gets here.

If it is GOOD food it is good food. I am sure there is good Brit-Chinese food just as I know there is good American Chinese food, but the question is the Brit-Chinese food we get in Pattaya really good? So far I've not been impressed. Of course personally I would like to see many different styles of Chinese food in town. We've got Thai-Chinese style covered and that can be good too, but for me it doesn't satisfy my Chinese Chinese food cravings.

If it is GOOD food it is good food. I am sure there is good Brit-Chinese food just as I know there is good American Chinese food, but the question is the Brit-Chinese food we get in Pattaya really good? So far I've not been impressed. Of course personally I would like to see many different styles of Chinese food in town. We've got Thai-Chinese style covered and that can be good too, but for me it doesn't satisfy my Chinese Chinese food cravings.

You missed my point. There is no universal "good" - it's all down personal preference.

A Brit could prefer British Chinese. An American could prefer Chinese food with an American slant ....etc etc. A Chinaman would most likely prefer it cooked the authentic Chinese way.

My wife loves her food greasy - with a visible shine of oil. I don't like that. Who is to say what is good and what is bad?

Edited by tropo

I didn't really miss your point because I agree with you but I think there are good and bad examples of any kind of style that are more OBJECTIVE than you think. Never fully objective, but I don't think food is 100 percent subjective either.

I agree. If we had a vote on good or bad by various population groups there would be a consensus on what is better or worse. It's just that the consensus would need to be nationality specific. Here in Pattaya we have a very diverse population of expats and tourists that makes what is "good" more difficult to define.

A case for Jingthing!

But I'm sure he would be happy to know the exact location

The address is Thap Praya road, on the hill, opposite soi 15 & The Mata Hari restaurant, Nirvana Place

Can someone provide a different location description. i was not able to find it given the information above. Is it way off of thappraya road? From the Hanuman Statue in Jomtien, how do you get there?

Thank you. I just did not see it. I know where the Country Road bar is, so now I can definitely find the place; just down the road from me. I love American/British-style Chinese food. I hope that is what it is as opposed to "dumpling crap," which is mainly peasant food in northern China, and/or Thai-style Chinese, which is tasteless and horrible. I saw one dish on the menu with black bean sauce, which I love; another called "lemon chicken," which I also love and some others that were recognizable. Many of those dishes are actually served under different names in China, a country that I have lived in. I always laugh at the "experts" who insist that American/British-Chinese food is not Chinese food. Some of it is a bit off the mark, but many of the dishes are found in China, especially near Hong Kong, as I said, under different names.

I love black bean sauce dishes myself! In fact, I cook them at home, making my own black bean sauce with the Chinese fermented black beans you can buy at many markets here. I agree black bean sauce dishes are indeed authentically Chinese. However, if you find a DECENT rich in black bean flavor, black-bean-sauce dish at a British Chinese eatery in Pattaya, I'll lick my hat!

Edited by Jingthing

Any chance you could post the recipe? I, and no doubt many others, love black bean sauce dishes. One of my favorite dishes is a very simple shredded pork with black bean sauce. Only one time was I able to actually find a small bottle of fermented black bean paste--in Chinatown in Bangkok, inside the main market at one of the many stalls. I have seen, as an aside, Hoisin sauce, which I use to make my own moo shoo pork w/ cabbage and onion and shredded, very thin pork chop steaks. The Chinese pancakes never turn out exactly like those in China (easy guess as to why).

I just mash fresh garlic and the beans with a mortar and pestle. You could also slice/chop those items. Saute in oil and add light (less salt as the beans are already salty) soy sauce and aged cheap Chinese cooking wine. Add water as needed for the actual dish and thickener if you like, I don't like. That's just the sauce. My typical recipe is noodle based and I make the sauce on the side of the pan!

You can buy packets of Chinese black bean sauce in markets here, Chinese brand, I've tried but I like my own version much better and not hard to do.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I just mash fresh garlic and the beans with a mortar and pestle. You could also slice/chop those items. Saute in oil and add light (less salt as the beans are already salty) soy sauce and aged cheap Chinese cooking wine. Add water as needed for the actual dish and thickener if you like, I don't like. That's just the sauce. My typical recipe is noodle based and I make the sauce on the side of the pan!

You can buy packets of Chinese black bean sauce in markets here, Chinese brand, I've tried but I like my own version much better and not hard to do.

Thanks. I was actually about to say "forget my request for a recipe, as that is too much to ask for." So, double thanks.

Well, I really have to tell readers about this "special place. I took the baht bus there today, at 12:25 pm. I stopped at Country Road bar and could not see it, but walked towards Pattaya and suddenly there it was: The Chow Box. I was struck by how nice it looked on the outside. And the sign out front did not say "British Chinese food;" rather, it says "Western Chinese Food." That really got me excited. I stood out front and walked up the stairs. I reached for the door AND IT WAS LOCKED! So, it is hard for me to give a positive review for a restaurant that does not open.

Well, I really have to tell readers about this "special place. I took the baht bus there today, at 12:25 pm. I stopped at Country Road bar and could not see it, but walked towards Pattaya and suddenly there it was: The Chow Box. I was struck by how nice it looked on the outside. And the sign out front did not say "British Chinese food;" rather, it says "Western Chinese Food." That really got me excited. I stood out front and walked up the stairs. I reached for the door AND IT WAS LOCKED! So, it is hard for me to give a positive review for a restaurant that does not open.

Well a lot of restaurants close on Monday so that would be tough luck. Indeed, the place is slickly designed and clearly there is a large investment behind it. There was also a large investment behind China Garden. Fancy setting doesn't equate to great food. You're right they brand as Western Chinese food but I would be very surprised based on their menu if they don't really mean British Chinese food, which is of course fine as long as it is GOOD whatever it is. I have seen diners in there passing on a baht bus but I am not really sure if they are officially open to the public or more in a soft opening phase. Edited by Jingthing

Just ate there. Easy to find. It is exactly accross the street from Mata Hari and a few dozen meters past Cowboy going towards Pattaya.

Size: Small, nice

Decor: good (better than most inexpensive places in the west), Excellent for Pattaya. Probably could use some things to break down some of the noise from other people but thats if I have to be really picky and this is standard for Thailand. Music was going at a low volume to help out. Well decorated, very very nice.

Cleanliness: this place seemed new and clean.

Food: I ate Sweet and Sour chicken with rice. I wanted chow mein but that would have been a whole chow mein dish and another 180ish baht. The rice was perfect (hot, slighly moist), not sure how you can screw up rice but some places do and this place it was was excellent. The sweet and sour chicken.... I am used to a more crispyish breading on the chicken but this was excellent all the same. The veggies were cooked yet fairly crisp and the sauce had a lot of flavor. This is very similar to western style I have had before.

I don't have any complaints. The bill was 290b with a coke, sweet and sour chicken and rice.

I will be going again when I have a hankering for chinese (or western style). I didn't use door2 door because a) they want 50b for the 1km drive I would have to take and B) I was unsure of the portions etc. and wanted to try them out first.

BTW, not sure they close Mondays. I passed by Monday night and saw some people eating in there. 300 bahtish for a plate, rice, and soft drinkee, sounds steep. How was the portion on the sweet and sour dish? It actually is common to serve poor rice and I also appreciate when it is done well.

BTW, not sure they close Mondays. I passed by Monday night and saw some people eating in there. 300 bahtish for a plate, rice, and soft drinkee, sounds steep. How was the portion on the sweet and sour dish? It actually is common to serve poor rice and I also appreciate when it is done well.

Well they were open today, Tuesday, at 10pm. The S&S was I think 180 or 190 and it seems the rice (small bowl sized) was extra and then the can of coke. All that for 290. I have never found Chinese food to be cheap. in the west that would have been more like 500b but the coke would have been endless.

I am no skinny dude and the rice and the dish were portioned well for Thailand and I was full. I would say an average portion or better (for one person). It was served in that standard regtangular dish plate you see at most restaurants like Kiss cool etc.

it is common to serve white rice, I just prefer chow mein. I am also used to a fortune cookie at the end but I didn't get one. :( (sad face) Sad because I like reading the fortunes and putting the obligatory "...in bed" after the fortune.

Assuming the Chow Box is open for lunch, I would suggest they consider this budget conscious expat market idea:

Lunch Specials.

Choice of main dish, decently portioned, served with choice of white rice / fried rice / side dish sized chow mein, small egg roll, cup of choice of egg drop or hot and sour soup to start -- 200 baht

Add that to their not cheap drinks and I think they'd have a decent volume profit thing plus not cut into the dinner market either.

Edited by Jingthing

Why do posters on these forums insist on telling others how to run their businesses.?

My Grandmother always used to say you have 2 choices, take it or leave it.

I don't see anyone telling, just suggesting. If the business owners are even watching this thread they can follow your advice regarding the suggestions and take it or leave it.

• Like 2

Well they were open today, Tuesday, at 10pm. The S&S was I think 180 or 190 and it seems the rice (small bowl sized) was extra and then the can of coke. All that for 290. I have never found Chinese food to be cheap. in the west that would have been more like 500b but the coke would have been endless.

The point is that as far as restaurant meals are concerned, there should be a factor of 1 to 5 between price in the LOS and the "West".

So a 300 baht meal in Thailand should cost 1500 baht in the West, not 500.

I have visited the restaurant as well, but only looked at the menu (as I was just coming back from eating elsewhere).

Ok, I looked at the 2 serving ladies too...

I like it when restaurants have small and large versions of their dishes and I usually like to order 3 or 4 different dishes.

I must admit the prices on the menu put me off a bit (I estimated the cost of a dinner for me to around 800 baht after reading the menu), and I would have preferred a menu with pictures.

I'd really enjoy a low-priced western-style Chinese restaurant in Pattaya.

• Like 1

So are they open for lunch?

If so, with their price structure and street presentation (looks fancy) I doubt they'll get much business.

That's why I SUGGESTED a 200 baht lunch special concept for them because I think that would at least potentially get <deleted> in chairs for lunch.