New Chinese Restaurant In Pratumnak "the Chow Box" Anyone Tried The Food Yet?

media

for dinner, the price was ok for me but I agree.... $10us dollars (300b) is expensive. In the west, a chinese lunch menu is usually about 200b and probably with soda for that price (plus tip). It seems to owned or managed by some young/middle aged guy(s) that are british or irish. I'd say as a business owner, I'd like to hear what people have to say and I will take it or leave it myself. better to hear stupid ideas and good ideas than none at all.

Again, nice place, I will go back for another dinner sometime. More of a set menu option would be nice. I think if they figured something out with set's or pricing or whatever and added some neon to the outside, they'd definately get even more customers. I doubt they are hurting based on what I saw.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for dinner, the price was ok for me but I agree.... $10us dollars (300b) is expensive. In the west, a chinese lunch menu is usually about 200b and probably with soda for that price (plus tip). It seems to owned or managed by some young/middle aged guy(s) that are british or irish. I'd say as a business owner, I'd like to hear what people have to say and I will take it or leave it myself. better to hear stupid ideas and good ideas than none at all.

Again, nice place, I will go back for another dinner sometime. More of a set menu option would be nice. I think if they figured something out with set's or pricing or whatever and added some neon to the outside, they'd definately get even more customers. I doubt they are hurting based on what I saw.

I would certainly like to know where in The UK you would see a Chinese lunch menu for four pounds! With or without soda!

So are they open for lunch?

If so, with their price structure and street presentation (looks fancy) I doubt they'll get much business.

That's why I SUGGESTED a 200 baht lunch special concept for them because I think that would at least potentially get <deleted> in chairs for lunch.

Interesting discussions about prices. To me, IMHO, 300 baht for Chinese food, especially just one dish, is way too much. But I am used to a buffet for the equivalent of 200 baht--all you can eat and no extra price for rice, which should come free with every dish. I can afford 300 baht for one dish, BUT, my value system informs me that 300 baht for sweet and sour chicken and rice and a coke is way too much. I don't spend money, even if I have it to spend, if I think I am getting ripped off. So, I may not even try the place (actually, I will have to try the pork with black bean sauce at least once). Personally, I think this restaurant will struggle if they persist in trying to sell simple Chinese food at very high prices. Jinting made a very good point about introducing a lunch special, a point I hope the owner (s) consider. How about: 200 baht lunch buffet--all you can eat! :)

• Like 1

Regarding prices, etc.: the place is new and exciting looking and now it is high season. So of course they will be getting people trying them now just like any interesting NEW restaurant. But in the long run, like any place, that's another story. I reckon the typical dinner customer there spends quite a bit more than 300 baht and that is likely the business expectation there. ONE dish is hardly a complete Chinese meal. Nothing wrong with that of course but for that to work the food has to be good (no comment) especially considering what many would consider kind of an inconvenient location. Obviously my suggestion for a lunch special is just a friendly one. I don't think in the long run many locals and tourists are going to want to spend even 300 for lunch at a place like that, so I can imagine a base of customers spending about 250 for a tempting combination lunch special (including a drink) and about 400 to 500 for dinner (appetizers, drinks).

Edited by Jingthing

So are they open for lunch?

If so, with their price structure and street presentation (looks fancy) I doubt they'll get much business.

That's why I SUGGESTED a 200 baht lunch special concept for them because I think that would at least potentially get <deleted> in chairs for lunch.

Interesting discussions about prices. To me, IMHO, 300 baht for Chinese food, especially just one dish, is way too much. But I am used to a buffet for the equivalent of 200 baht--all you can eat and no extra price for rice, which should come free with every dish. I can afford 300 baht for one dish, BUT, my value system informs me that 300 baht for sweet and sour chicken and rice and a coke is way too much. I don't spend money, even if I have it to spend, if I think I am getting ripped off. So, I may not even try the place (actually, I will have to try the pork with black bean sauce at least once). Personally, I think this restaurant will struggle if they persist in trying to sell simple Chinese food at very high prices. Jinting made a very good point about introducing a lunch special, a point I hope the owner (s) consider. How about: 200 baht lunch buffet--all you can eat! smile.png

Well, I like to go to restaurants not to get a cheap stomach filling but to eat food that is classes above what I can get at home, i.e. delicious suki yaki, thai fried rice, etc. or at the standard Thai eateries.

Free rice may be possible for cheap white rice or quick fried rice with just a few onions and eggs in it, but cantonese rice cannot be free.

200 baht for a good Chinese meal seems very much on the cheap charlie side to me (but may be possible if eating "poor Chinese" style, i.e. chicken feet, fish heads, bowels and other innards, cheap white rice and lots of vegetables - fans of "authentic" Chinese food will be delighted).

I wouldn't mind if the dishes were 100 to 150 baht each, maybe 250 or 300 baht for peking duck menu and other delicacies, and 100 baht for a large beer.

I would then order 3 dishes + 1 large beer = 400 to 500 baht.

One thing I miss in Chinese restaurants in Thailand is the thick & slight sour egg/chicken soup.

Edited by manarak

You won't find actual Peking Duck for 300 baht in Thailand, more like 2000 plus.

Pattaya has some hiso Chinese restaurants in some fancy hotels for the swells among us. Doesn't seem to be many of them HERE as we don't often hear about such places! Can I interest you in 4 ounces of steamed snow fish for 1500 baht?coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

You won't find actual Peking Duck for 300 baht in Thailand, more like 2000 plus.

Pattaya has some hiso Chinese restaurants in some fancy hotels for the swells among us. Doesn't seem to be many of them HERE as we don't often hear about such places! Can I interest you in 4 ounces of steamed snow fish for 1500 baht?coffee1.gif

absolutely not!

The snobs like to eat food prepared with expensive ingredients, while the gourmet enjoys normal or above-average ingredients that were expertly made into food.

I had a very delicious & full (rolls, soup, dish) peking duck menu in GENEVA, Switzerland some years back for 29 CHF per person (we were 2), and someone came to our table to prepare a lot of rolls for us, and we got one duck (shared).

That was 900 THB per person, in SWITZERLAND.

absolutely not!

The snobs like to eat food prepared with expensive ingredients, while the gourmet enjoys normal or above-average ingredients that were expertly made into food.

I had a very delicious & full (rolls, soup, dish) peking duck menu in GENEVA, Switzerland some years back for 29 CHF per person (we were 2), and someone came to our table to prepare a lot of rolls for us, and we got one duck (shared).

That was 900 THB per person, in SWITZERLAND.

I for one will miss the Montien when it closes. We only go about twice a year to the Chinese but thoroughly enjoy it. A full night for two of us including wine is around 2500 baht, not cheap by any means but I love food and am willing to pay once in a while, does that make me Hi So as some imply? The duck is prepared for the rolls at the table then taken away to make 2 more dishes of your choice. It was quite a surprise first time as I am used to UK and even Hong Kong where all the duck is shredded for the rolls but here the skin is expertly separated from the meat and that's the only part used for the rolls.

Edited by RabC

Regarding prices, etc.: the place is new and exciting looking and now it is high season. So of course they will be getting people trying them now just like any interesting NEW restaurant. But in the long run, like any place, that's another story. I reckon the typical dinner customer there spends quite a bit more than 300 baht and that is likely the business expectation there. ONE dish is hardly a complete Chinese meal. Nothing wrong with that of course but for that to work the food has to be good (no comment) especially considering what many would consider kind of an inconvenient location. Obviously my suggestion for a lunch special is just a friendly one. I don't think in the long run many locals and tourists are going to want to spend even 300 for lunch at a place like that, so I can imagine a base of customers spending about 250 for a tempting combination lunch special (including a drink) and about 400 to 500 for dinner (appetizers, drinks).

Finally went there and found the door open! It was about 5:00 pm. I went inside and the lights were a bit dark, and it was as though nobody was there. I said "sawatdee krap" and then "nihow." No answer. One farang came in and asked me if it was open, and I said "not sure." He left, probably thinking I was robbing the place. Finally I heard a noise in the back and went there and found a Thai woman. I asked her if I could order. So, I did: lemon chicken and pork with black bean sauce (one order of rice). I ordered it to go. It came, took it home, just finished it, and here is my review. First, something positive: the place really looks good inside (upscale Chinese decor). Now, the negatives: the portions were not huge, but not small (not really a negative). The rice was nothing special. The lemon chicken did not taste like lemon chicken that I have had in the past. The crust was not crispy. It was not placed, sliced on a bed of lettuce or cabbage, and the sauce did not really taste like real lemons. The pork w/ black bean sauce was anything but pork w/ black bean sauce. I think they did not use real black bean sauce and probably also are not using good quality Chinese sherry, if they are using sherry at all. Also, the same can be said for good quality Chinese vinegar, which I think is supposed to be in the dish. I got the feeling that the chef is probably Thai and is changing the food to make it more Thai style. I hope they can change. I would love for Pattaya to have a reasonably priced Western Chinese place that serves "real" Western Chinese food using authentic ingredients. Oh, I forgot: part of the food experience for me is the smell of the food. I did not smell what my mind tells me good Lemon Chicken and especially pork w/ black bean sauce. That tells me the ingredients and recipe are not right. I spent 420 baht, which was not cheap at all. Will I go back? No.

Finally went there and found the door open! It was about 5:00 pm. I went inside and the lights were a bit dark, and it was as though nobody was there. I said "sawatdee krap" and then "nihow." No answer. One farang came in and asked me if it was open, and I said "not sure." He left, probably thinking I was robbing the place. Finally I heard a noise in the back and went there and found a Thai woman. I asked her if I could order. So, I did: lemon chicken and pork with black bean sauce (one order of rice). I ordered it to go. It came, took it home, just finished it, and here is my review. First, something positive: the place really looks good inside (upscale Chinese decor). Now, the negatives: the portions were not huge, but not small (not really a negative). The rice was nothing special. The lemon chicken did not taste like lemon chicken that I have had in the past. The crust was not crispy. It was not placed, sliced on a bed of lettuce or cabbage, and the sauce did not really taste like real lemons. The pork w/ black bean sauce was anything but pork w/ black bean sauce. I think they did not use real black bean sauce and probably also are not using good quality Chinese sherry, if they are using sherry at all. Also, the same can be said for good quality Chinese vinegar, which I think is supposed to be in the dish. I got the feeling that the chef is probably Thai and is changing the food to make it more Thai style. I hope they can change. I would love for Pattaya to have a reasonably priced Western Chinese place that serves "real" Western Chinese food using authentic ingredients. Oh, I forgot: part of the food experience for me is the smell of the food. I did not smell what my mind tells me good Lemon Chicken and especially pork w/ black bean sauce. That tells me the ingredients and recipe are not right. I spent 420 baht, which was not cheap at all. Will I go back? No.

Thanks for the informative report. About what I expected on cooked in Pattaya black bean sauce dishes. Amazing they won't/can't do this. It's not that hard. I can do it and I don't do anything hard. The beans are sold at a number of local grocery stores. Just a thought, I wonder if proper Chinese flavor black bean sauce dishes are totally disgusting to the typical Thai palate? Thais adopted so many Chinese flavors but not that one for some reason.

Lemon chicken, I consider that a western dish and it's not my thing but I recognize from your description that what you got was not as hoped for with that dish. Oh well! coffee1.gif

As far as the decor, I'd prefer that the place was a TOTAL DUMP but with good food. Prefer that a LOT.

BTW, regarding the informal black bean sauce recipe I posted, I forget to mention the FRESH GINGER element. I sautee that separately as part of the dish but I think you need ginger.

Edited by Jingthing

I would certainly like to know where in The UK you would see a Chinese lunch menu for four pounds! With or without soda!

I would certainly like to know where in the USA you can pay for Chinese food with British pounds. wink.png

I would have thought the fact I quoted in US dollars would have somehow given the clue I wasnt' talking about the UK. I mean, I used the dollar sign ($), the letters "us" after the number and the word "dollar" .wink.png "$10us dollars (300b) is expensive. In the west, a chinese lunch menu is usually about 200b and probably with soda for that price (plus tip)". just teasing you a bit.

USA lunch price for sweet and sour chicken is about $6 and a coke is $1 (this is for a medium to small city that you probably haven't heard of. In LA, SF, NY, it would be more spendy). This would be at a basic/standard chinese restaurant. Not a fancy table cloth place but just a basic place. Dinner price which usually includes a bigger portion and maybe chow mien instead of rice is a couple dollars more. They have Panda Express as well which is like the McDonalds of chinese food although it it is actually pretty good for western style chinese food.

Another example is that in a similar "thai" restaurant (again not the fancy places), you pay about $7 for chicken fried rice and a coke again is about $1. Where here, you can get chicken fried rice for more like $2 and a coke is $1.50. I know where you can get it cheaper and I know where you can get it more expense but these are just examples.

given there isn't much else in the way of chinese food, I'll be going back for the basics (sweet and sour etc.). It would be nice if the breading was crispy and the prices were a bit less and I could pick the side instead of just white rice. beggars, chosers, and whatnot.

Edited by schnazzy

First hit from Google: http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/wong-kei-restaurant-london

I know a place in central London where they do a very good Indian vegetarian buffet for GBP6 (that's 300B), which is vastly better and cheaper than what passes for Indian food here. I'm sure that if I liked Chinese food I would have found something similar in London for that sort of price also.

Ethnic (Indian, Chinese, even pizza etc.) food is generally way overpriced in Pattaya, and there is no reason for it apart from greed.

I agree, way overpriced! But, it is the "invisible hand of the marketplace" that determines the price. I was disappointed with the prices and food at CB. I hope the owners change their modus operendi soon. I really want to be able to walk into a place like CB and order Chinese food like I can get at most cities in the USA--not the fancy stuff. I am talking about the "normal" Chinese food that many of us love. Unfortunately, many Chinese dishes require skill to cook them properly. Maybe that requires the hiring of an actual Chinese chef. Allowing a Thai chef to modify Chinese food is a mistake, if that mistake is taking place. Even I can make pork/chicken w/ black bean sauce, but without the authentic ingredients/spices (e.g., fresh ginger, top quality Chinese Sherry and vinegar, to name a few), I can't do it. Here is a string of hints that might lead to success: use authentic ingredients; fresh vegetables (sliced and prepared properly); fresh meats (sliced and prepared properly); stick with Western-Chinese style recipes and never try to change them to fit what Thais think is proper Chinese food; all you can eat lunch buffet (this will bring in a lot of customers who will, later, try the dinner menu); decent prices (nothing more than 150 baht per dish); follow a model, and that model is all over the place in the USA.

• Like 2

I agree, way overpriced! But, it is the "invisible hand of the marketplace" that determines the price. I was disappointed with the prices and food at CB. I hope the owners change their modus operendi soon. I really want to be able to walk into a place like CB and order Chinese food like I can get at most cities in the USA--not the fancy stuff. I am talking about the "normal" Chinese food that many of us love. Unfortunately, many Chinese dishes require skill to cook them properly. Maybe that requires the hiring of an actual Chinese chef. Allowing a Thai chef to modify Chinese food is a mistake, if that mistake is taking place. Even I can make pork/chicken w/ black bean sauce, but without the authentic ingredients/spices (e.g., fresh ginger, top quality Chinese Sherry and vinegar, to name a few), I can't do it. Here is a string of hints that might lead to success: use authentic ingredients; fresh vegetables (sliced and prepared properly); fresh meats (sliced and prepared properly); stick with Western-Chinese style recipes and never try to change them to fit what Thais think is proper Chinese food; all you can eat lunch buffet (this will bring in a lot of customers who will, later, try the dinner menu); decent prices (nothing more than 150 baht per dish); follow a model, and that model is all over the place in the USA.

your ideas seem sound. but this isn't the west. people here know more than anyone else so they f' with the dishes. fresh food is expensive food and fresh that is of high quality, well forget about it. In large quantites you can get the price down but otherwise... (I mean beef, and certain veggies that aren't grown here.

If this was like the USA, we wouldn't come. The reason the TG exist as they do here and are the way they are (accomodating), is in the same mix as the reason if a place looks like it is doing well, a local will just copy it and put it next door. cause if one place makes 500k baht a month but looks like it is making 1m baht a month, If I build the same thing next door, there will be even more customers of course so I'll make 2m baht.... but for some reason I only make 250k, hmmmm, I don't know why. weird. ;) ;)

having said that, it seems teh owners are from the uk or ireland so you'd think they'd know this stuff. but I have also met tons of people who never owned a successful business back home and they come here and think they can do better than everyone else. but the cards are stacked up more against you here than back home in most cases.

your ideas seem sound. but this isn't the west. people here know more than anyone else so they f' with the dishes. fresh food is expensive food and fresh that is of high quality, well forget about it. In large quantites you can get the price down but otherwise... (I mean beef, and certain veggies that aren't grown here.

If this was like the USA, we wouldn't come. The reason the TG exist as they do here and are the way they are (accomodating), is in the same mix as the reason if a place looks like it is doing well, a local will just copy it and put it next door. cause if one place makes 500k baht a month but looks like it is making 1m baht a month, If I build the same thing next door, there will be even more customers of course so I'll make 2m baht.... but for some reason I only make 250k, hmmmm, I don't know why. weird. wink.pngwink.png

having said that, it seems teh owners are from the uk or ireland so you'd think they'd know this stuff. but I have also met tons of people who never owned a successful business back home and they come here and think they can do better than everyone else. but the cards are stacked up more against you here than back home in most cases.

Yes, this is not the West. And, yes, Thais do think they know everything (only the rich Thais venture out of the narrow box that is Thai culture and end up making a fortune bringing the West to the East). Fresh vegetables are very inexpensive here. The same can be said of fresh chicken and pork and even shrimp. Fresh Thai beef is disgusting. Using imported beef would be expensive, but some dishes would cost more. There are now a growing number of "Western models" (no, not that kind :)) in Thailand that demonstrate Thais are receptive to Western food. Chinese-Western food seems to be an exception at the moment. There is a niche for it, of that I am certain, especially among expat Westerners in places like Pattaya-Jomtien and Phuket. It is just a matter of time before some person does it right. It was the same with Mexican food (American-style Mexican food). At first people said nobody would eat it, especially Thais. Later a few people tried. Many failed because they would not offer American-style Mexican food (especially Tex-Mex). Finally, one owner decided to really focus on authentic ingrendients and is now a big hit in Bangkok. I will not give the name, but I normally see more Thais eating there than Western expats. That did not happen at first. The owner was dedicated to offering the best Mexican food in town, and did (but not inexpensive). The owner also has a prime location by the Skytrain, which helps (location, location, location). Many of us really do not care about ambience. Rather, we want good food at a decent price. I used to love the fast-food drive through Western-Chinese places back home in the USA. They were never great, but all of them, if memory serves, were better than anything we have in Thailand.

With a name like Chow Box...I'd be amazed if it wasn't authentic delicious Chinese cuisine.

Namg Sing, contrary to the opinions of some, is the best of a bad lot here in Pattaya. Pao is decent when it's open (is it still in business...someone once predicted hordes of Bangkok Thai-Chinese would discover the place and the owners would have a goldmine...just wondering?)

With a name like Chow Box...I'd be amazed if it wasn't authentic delicious Chinese cuisine.

Namg Sing, contrary to the opinions of some, is the best of a bad lot here in Pattaya. Pao is decent when it's open (is it still in business...someone once predicted hordes of Bangkok Thai-Chinese would discover the place and the owners would have a goldmine...just wondering?)

I do believe Pao is out of business, stopped by the other night and it was closed and no customary sign "closed from xxxx to ssss". I wish he was still open, great food when he was.

I do believe Pao is out of business, stopped by the other night and it was closed and no customary sign "closed from xxxx to ssss". I wish he was still open, great food when he was.

i think he said he was reopening in January on the other thread but who knows.

• Like 1

In case anyone is wondering, I now have some info that the ownership of Chow Box is attempting to present British style Chinese food specifically, not American style Chinese food, or generic "Western" style Chinese food. I got that info for another forum when some Americans said they asked for Egg Foo Young (yes popular in American style Chinese places) and were told they don't do that because it's American, not British. In reality, according to wiki it also found in British Chinese places but perhaps not as popular. The American version is served with a GRAVY.

Reminds me of the most popular American Chinese foods when I was growing up when all I knew was American Chinese food. So retro.

Egg Foo Young

Shrimp with Lobster Sauce

Egg Drop Soup

BBQ Spareribs

Chop Suey

Pork fried rice

Chicken chow mein

Egg rolls with duck sauce

Won ton soup

Whatever happened to Shrimp w/ lobster sauce? That used to be very popular.

Edited by Jingthing

Went there last evening

Very pleasant ambience and fairly busy

It is definately Chinese/British cuisine - if there is such a thing.........

We all enjoyed the dishes that were ordered and in general we found the food to be very good.

With several bottles of wine our bill was something like 1800baht pp

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the Chow Box for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We arrived at 7:00pm and there were only 1 or 2 other tables occupied. Atmosphere and ambiance is very nice and gives something of a feeling of luxury. We were promptly seated and given menus. We ordered drinks right away - my partner ordered Tsing Tao beer but they didn't have any, then changed it to Asahi beer and again they didn't have it. I believe at least one of the beer he ordered was on the menu.

We ordered wonton soup, hot and sour soup, fried rice, stir fry chicken with vegetables, sweet and sour shrimp, and a beef dish.

The menu does mention that it is serving a British style Chinese food - so we were not expecting authentic Chinese food, and that's ok with us.

The soups were delicious and quite generous for a single serving - one bowl is enough for two.

The mains were as expected for a British Chinese style, BUT my one comment is that the serving could have been more generous for a main course. Especially considering the price for most of the main dishes which is the range of 180 baht. The pricing is fine, just the portion. They will have more happy customers with bigger portions and happy customers do come back.

The service still needed some works but this is to be expected with a new restaurant.

We wish them the best of luck, but we are waiting for a bigger portion to be announced before we return

Edited by whatchamacallit