How To Change (And When) From Non Io To Retirement

Hello,

I am so confused - so much good information here but I have not found my exact answers. Hope You can clarify somethings for me.

I am a 60yr British subject, living with Thai wife in Udon Thani district (Kumpawhapi). I have a 12 month multi entry O visa. (This my first visa. Plenty of holiday entry stamps but no visas). I want to retire here.

I popped into Udon Immigration last week as I was passing. Although the Consulate in Birmingham told me I would get an O retirement visa by reporting to Immigration after 90 days the Immigration lady told me I must exit Thailand (at Nong Khai) and get a 90 day extension.

1) Must I wait till end of the current visa to change it to Retirement or can I do it earlier ?

2) Is that normally done at the local Immg Office or when re-entering Thailand ?

Thanks very much P.

You can get an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you get from your visa.

Perhaps you were to close to your permit to stay running out so the immigration officer suggested you do a border crossing for another 90 days before applying for the extension. That is the only explanation I can think of for what the immigration officer said.

You could also get an extension based upon marriage to a Thai from any of your visa entries. You do not have to do it for retirement. An extension based upon marriage only requires 40K baht income or 400K baht in a Thai bank for 60 days verses 65K and 800K for retirement.

Edited by ubonjoe

before they will give u a 1 year EXTENSION in country, ( u can not get a non o visa in country) u must have had the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months ( first application)

If u do need to leave any embassy will issue u a single non o visa if ur over 50, Just tell them u will be applying to for a retirement extension.

I think u misunderstood her

If ur married, why not get the visa based on that? than u only need show 400,000 in the bank although there is more paperwork involved.

Thanks for such a quick answer. I have only been in Thailand 6 weeks. Presumably a new O-Retirement cancels the old O so it would be a waste of money not to get two 90 day extensions in. She probably was being kind.

Do I understand that I do get it coming into Thailand or can I in fact get it at Udon Immg Office - which I would drive past to get to Nong Khai. Thanks.

To use your visa you must exit Thailand at any air/sea/land crossing and enter another country and return for a new 90 day stay. The Consulate that sold you that visa could have provided you a single entry if you planned to meet retirement financials here and extend your stay for that reason but as you now have a multi entry visa you have the option to continue using it for the first 15 months and then do the retirement if you desire - or you may extend for retirement or marriage during the 30 days prior to the end of any 90 day stay if you meet the financial requirements.

You must leave Thailand, enter Laos and return every 90 days to get a new entry.

You can only get an extension of your permit to stay at immigration.

It might seems a waste to get the extension but when you count up the cost of each border run (1500 baht for Lao visa) it would make the 1900 baht you pay for an extension seem quite small.

Also I now suspect that the immigration officer thought you were inquiring about getting an additional 90 days instead of an extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

before they will give u a 1 year EXTENSION in country, ( u can not get a non o visa in country) u must have had the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months ( first application)

If u do need to leave any embassy will issue u a single non o visa if ur over 50, Just tell them u will be applying to for a retirement extension.

I think u misunderstood her

If ur married, why not get the visa based on that? than u only need show 400,000 in the bank although there is more paperwork involved.

From Jomtien Immigration I obtained a non O Visa with 2 days remaining on a land border crossing entry visa. As I had 800k seasoned in my Thai bank account (opened during a previous visit to Thailand), simultaneously I was provided with the retirement extension.

Edited by simple1

Yes you can obtain a non immigrant entry or change inside Thailand in the extension of stay process - but not unless meeting the conditions of extension of stay (minus seasoning period). But poster has the required visa entry for either a Thai wife or retirement extension of stay.

Yes you can obtain a non immigrant entry or change inside Thailand in the extension of stay process - but not unless meeting the conditions of extension of stay (minus seasoning period). But poster has the required visa entry for either a Thai wife or retirement extension of stay.

Thanks for clarification, but was responding to post #3 that stated, in part, ( u can not get a non o visa in country

Edited by simple1

Simple; i stand corrected in that u can change to a non o for retirement in country

The original poster never said he had x amount of entries left on his multiple an that's whats throwing us all off.

Since he has allready been here 6 weeks he cant season the money, ( as needs 2 months) an than apply for an extensions so will need to leave after 6 weeks an than enter and apply for the extension.

So put ur money in before u leave.

Edited by phuketrichard

Thank You to everybody for their discussion and help. Testing my understanding can anybody point a flaw in the below ?

I will exit at Nong Khai end January to part use my original Non O and get a second 90 days leave to remain.

I will apply at Udon Thani Immg Office for a retirement (possibly marriage) extension 60+ days into this second period.

If anything does not work I can still run to Nong Khai and get a third 90 days whilst sorting out the problem.

Sound OK ? Will let You know if anything does not work.

Best Regards Paul

I get a multi entry Visa from Bham too - on arrival I get a 90 day stamp.

I make sure I have the necessary money (800k or 400k) is in the bank (almost) immediatley on arrival.

I then go to immigration close to the 90 days and apply for an Extension of Stay for 12 month (like you, being married to a Thai I consider the Marriage route but, to be honest, the Retirement route is so much easier and less hassle if you have the 800k).

If I need to leave the country I either get a re-entry permit at the airport - which keeps the Extension "alive" or just let it lapse and re-enter on the original Bham Visa then, after 90 days, apply again for a new Extension. No need for Visa runs :-)

Hope that helps?