Got Done Drink Driving On Sunday Night

WebBangkok

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I got off lucky, but I really question the methods of testing for alcohol.

I dont really care about the 2K as its nothing, I think some of you are not that bright and miss the point totally which is kind of strange. Is this place full of halfwits or what?

• Like 1

I know I got off lucky, but I really question the methods of testing for alcohol.

I dont really care about the 2K as its nothing, I think some of you are not that bright and miss the point totally which is kind of strange. Is this place full of halfwits or what?

Let's just say a three-quarter wit or above wouldn't be having the issue you are in the first place - so wouldn't need to ask :)

How was I over the legal limit?

You said you had a positive reading.

A positive reading is not over the limit. The first machine is calibrated to test if you have any alcohol on your breath, then they pull you over and test you for a reading which they did with some people.

Ok my mistake but the fact is, you had 4 beers in your system.

The police may not have been willing or able to verify you were over the limit but you know that there was a good chance that you were and that if you'd been in Farangland, you'd have been done . . . properly.

You've already counted yourself lucky but now - suitably emboldened by their irregular procedure and the apparent clout of that business card - you're wondering whether, next time, you should push that luck a little further by giving the police some lip.

Cockiness has it's place. A police drink/drive checkpoint isn't one of them.

• Like 2

Yes.

• Like 2

Without sounding trying to sound self righteous...I personally have made a habit of never drinking any alcohol when I am driving the car in Thailand, even one beer...reason being...as we all know the BiB are bent at as a 10 bob note in Thailand and a lot of time what the law actually says means absoutely nothing to the BiB certainly if there is possible money in for them in bungs, so I try not to give them any excuse as one suspects even pulling up at a road block smelling of alcohol, even one beer gives them a reason to start looking for money off someone forget about a 0.05 BAC being the limit..

• Like 2

How many times do you see DDR cases in the newspaper abroad,killed by accident driver over limit.

I ONLY HAD A COUPLE is the defence

Except it's not. Most of the big accidents are caused by people who know that are way over the limit and don't care, rather than people who have had a couple of drinks with a meal and believe themselves to be under the limit. Most of the people who lose their licences, jobs, livelihoods and so forth are those who, like the OP, had had a few quiet beers and thought they were not over the limit, or drive the next morning not realising they had drunk enough the night before to still be over the limit.

In a way I'm a fan of the zero limit because it removes any ambiguity. On the other hand, I do appreciate the Thai "system" whereby a minor lapse gets a minor punishment.

"I got the first blow thing where it just says negative or positive, it said positive so they pulled me over to the side with all the other drivers. ..... I mean I got lucky it was only 2K."

As far as I'm concerned a positive breath test should result in a blood test, and a positive blood test should result in the immediate cancellation of your licence, a large fine and a mandatory 6-month jail sentence.

There can be no excuse for driving whilst intoxicated.

There was no positive result !

The first blow just confirms alcohol on your breath, there is no measure of how much has been consumed.

The OP is correct the next step if alcohol has been detected should have been the Breathalyser itself which would determine if he was over or under the limit, this it seems was not done.

Edited by Tafia

Here's an interesting calculator. I don't know the OP's weight, but assuming he is 81kg or so (180lbs), 4 beers in about 4 hours would equate to .02 BAC.

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

If the law is .05 here, the OP was clearly under the limit.

A few nonsense and rude posts have been removed from view. Please show some respect to the OP. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

• Like 1

I know you're not normally, but this and the first post did make you sound rather pompous, people will react to that especially when it's something like drink driving.

I propose a boycott of any and all resturants/bars/etc,

lets see how many days goes by before every biz owner walks to city hall and demand an end to the police controls, or they will bankrupt, which means less tax revenue and increased unemployment.

I'm already on boycott since it started some months ago btw, join in the fight for freedom

The legal limit is 50 milligram percent in Thai. Don't ask me what kind of unit that is. It sounds llike an abbreviation to me.

In the UK, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. That is a unit I can comprehend.

I know you're not normally, but this and the first post did make you sound rather pompous, people will react to that especially when it's something like drink driving.

yeah i know, it was directed at few of the posts that got deleted that were posting absolute rubbish earlier.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

"I got the first blow thing where it just says negative or positive, it said positive so they pulled me over to the side with all the other drivers. ..... I mean I got lucky it was only 2K."

As far as I'm concerned a positive breath test should result in a blood test, and a positive blood test should result in the immediate cancellation of your licence, a large fine and a mandatory 6-month jail sentence.

There can be no excuse for driving whilst intoxicated.

yeap pity they dont hand down the same sentance on judgmental self righteous pompus nitwits as well...whistling.gif

Nothing self-righteous about it. The guy was over the legal limit. Period.

He walked away with a 2 grand fine.

He should be ecstatic not asking if he ought to tell them to "f off" next time.

I'm sure if he'd killed someone you love, you'd be all over that breathalyser reading like a rash in court rather than cutting him slack on the strength of his body weight.

4 cans in 4 hours? Over .05? I highly doubt it.

That's 1 can per hour. But we have to take op's word for it. whistling.gif

yeah i know, it was directed at few of the posts that got deleted that were posting absolute rubbish earlier.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry I didn't see them. thumbsup.gif

It just boggles the mind sometimes that I clearly stated I was under the legal limit.

And was not even given a reading of any kind to be given any type of fine. The police had about 15 people they were trying to get money from with most not even given a reading of any sort.

• Like 1

It just boggles the mind sometimes that I clearly stated I was under the legal limit.

And was not even given a reading of any kind to be given any type of fine. The police had about 15 people they were trying to get money from with most not even given a reading of any sort.

Shakedown pure and simple

• Like 1