Highway 1230

moe666

It is a very narrow winding road in spots, very scenic. Best for riding on a motorcycle. I rode it two years ago and it was pretty good but such roads can fall into disrepair quickly. But not much commercial traffic so I doubt the pavement has become too gutted. I think it added about 2 1/2 hours to the drive to Phrae via Long. By the way, I really like Phrae as it reminds me of Chiang Mai decades ago.

From the south at the junction with the 11, its got a good surface until you get to the 1229, at which point you turn left (last driven a few weeks back) and go over the mountain. If you continue straight, its a good road for another 10-15km, but ends up as a 4-wheel drive track (last driven 2 years ago) which google maps suggests goes through, but I found became impassable heading north east.

A short cut (1229-1230)? No. An alternative, yes. An adventure and please post back if you're going to try the 1230 from the 1317 direct to the 11.

edit: You can see where the asphalt turns to dirt on google maps at 18.76889,99.28937 (with satellite image on).

Edited by naboo

If you continue straight, its a good road for another 10-15km, but ends up as a 4-wheel drive track (last driven 2 years ago) which google maps suggests goes through, but I found became impassable heading north east.

It used to be drivable all the way through. Gravel road, no need for 4WD. That was a few years ago. What was blocking it? Overgrown, or landslide? There's a great viewpoint from the summit of that bit of the 1230, looking down on Mae On & towards Chiang Mai.

If you continue straight, its a good road for another 10-15km, but ends up as a 4-wheel drive track (last driven 2 years ago) which google maps suggests goes through, but I found became impassable heading north east.

It used to be drivable all the way through. Gravel road, no need for 4WD. That was a few years ago. What was blocking it? Overgrown, or landslide? There's a great viewpoint from the summit of that bit of the 1230, looking down on Mae On & towards Chiang Mai.

Very heavily rutted, trenches running across the road. Steep uphill on the mud and we had to give up with the bikes and turn back.

Very heavily rutted, trenches running across the road. Steep uphill on the mud and we had to give up with the bikes and turn back.

Changed a bit since I drove it. sad.png

I am not sure if we're talking about the same road.unsure.png

I was driving with my scooter from Maeon, taking the 1229 across the mountains then turning right to the 1230 heading towards Lamphun via the 11.

Not a single problem on the way.

Some parts between have got new asphalt, 2 or 3 others have been under construction. A few kilometers are still coverered with gravel. And, of course, you should be aware of potholes, like everywhere in Thailand

I have done the trip last November.

I am not sure if we're talking about the same road.unsure.png

I was driving with my scooter from Maeon, taking the 1229 across the mountains then turning right to the 1230 heading towards Lamphun via the 11.

Not a single problem on the way.

Some parts between have got new asphalt, 2 or 3 others have been under construction. A few kilometers are still coverered with gravel. And, of course, you should be aware of potholes, like everywhere in Thailand

I have done the trip last November.

From the 1229, over the mountain, its OK, turn right onto the 1230 and its great all the way. The problems come if you turn left off the 1229 onto the 1230. After a while it is dreadful.