Be Warned: Petrol Station Scam (Pattaya)

virgo72

Two months ago a friend of mine pulled in Shell petrol station on Pattaya Tai near CAT telecommunications to fill up his car with petrol. He asked the attendant to fill up the tank. His wife was sitting on the passenger side and she noticed as soon as the attendant filled the tank up, he put back the nozzle and altered the amount from 1050 baht to 1500 baht. When they challenged him about this he denied it obviously because my friend and his wife cannot speak Thai. He mumbled something in Thai pretending he could not understand English. They argued with him for the couple of minutes but because they were in a hurry to go to Bangkok they decided to leave it. Since then he was aware of the fact that they are scamming foreigners and so when he fills up his car he gets out and make sure they cannot alter the price.

Tonight, I pulled into the same Petrol Station to fill my bike up. There was only one pump open for motorbikes the queue was quite long on both sides of the pump and they were alternating to fill up bikes on both sides of the pump. There were two attendants the young guy put the petrol and old guy gets the payment. When my turn comes I asked them to fill my bike up, the guy who gets the payment distracted me by saying my bike was nice and kept blocking me from seeing the pump screen. My wife saw everything the young guy didn't put back the nozzle of the pump to make the screen back to zero (price). My bike holds 14 litres in the tank and wasn't empty when I pulled in. When the tank was full the old guy moved out of the way, incredibly he managed to put 18 litres in a 14 litre tank. My wife challenged the guy and so did I, telling him how did he managed to put 18 litres in a 14 litre tank. Again same old trick they could not understand English. ( my wife is Asian but not Thai). Also there were Indians guys on the other side of the pump who saw it and confirm to my wife that they robbed us.

Please careful when using Shell Petrol Station (Pattaya Tai near Cat Telecommunications)

It's even more sad that until today, nobody stepped in to bring them to the court

Agreed - sad and actually quite hard to believe it's been allowed to continue for so long. It's also good that people raise the issue here from time to time as a warning to others.

There is another Thread on tv complaining about Petrol Station Scams.

Called:"Always count your change at Gas Stations"

Read it and you will see some on here are quite happy to to be scammed,and whinge about Farangs complaining about a few miserable satangs,and then accuse and insult the poster of being in the wrong for complaining and pointing the Scam to others.

does it help if you ask for an amount - I hardly ever now ask to be filled up but ask for 1,000 baht or 1,500 baht of petrol and watch them set the amount on the grid and make sure there is no stopping and starting.

Sadly this has been going on for years. I would never go to that gas station.
sad but true i was made aware of this petrol station a long time ago and i always avoid it.

Yeah, they are real crooks.sick.gif Most residents have known this for years. 4 yrs. back we filed a serious complaint with Shell USA, which handed it over to Shell Singapore, [email protected]. Eddie did a good follow up, after our complaint. The older, angry looking guy at the station is the leader and really bad. After I caught him cheating me he doused me (accidentally...;-) with half a liter of gas.

But things have never changed They put up cameras, signs and lately some loudspeakers with a continuous warning...The scam is ongoing....When we did our initial complaint we watched them cheating as many as 30 customers per hour during busy times. The main guys have been photographed and identified by Shell and.....Thai style...still work there....Amazing...Wonder what the owner says to this? Write to Shell Singapore....Maybe something comes out of it. And...Avoid this gas station, even so the location is convenient! PF.