Bus Drivers Falling Asleep

petedk

LMAO & most of you say you live in Thailand.

Whinging gits if nowt else.

Facts are facts, doesn't make anyone a whinger for stating them. Does make you a bit of a non-contributor though.

I agree with the OP that there is a problem but when he talks about vans I think he is making it up. It is speed not sleep that kills when accidents happen in a van in my experience.

Facts are facts, doesn't make anyone a whinger for stating them. Does make you a bit of a non-contributor though.

I agree with the OP that there is a problem but when he talks about vans I think he is making it up. It is speed not sleep that kills when accidents happen in a van in my experience.

In how many of those vans have you been that had accidents because of speeding ?

I would say its hard to tell what causes it as reports aren't that good. But speeding is certainly a reason so is dangerous agressive driving.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

In how many of those vans have you been that had accidents because of speeding ?

I would say its hard to tell what causes it as reports aren't that good. But speeding is certainly a reason so is dangerous agressive driving.

Ya, I agree. They drive like they are nuts. Rayong to Pattaya on a regular bus can take up to 3 hours in a van one hour or less. Although if the jerky brake the accelerator stuff don't make you sick it is exciting.

Regarding minivans, I am often tailgated by one of those on the road, no matter where I go. The key is either to get out of their way ASAP, or to wait for them to undertake you.

The speeds at which they drive, swerve among other cars and their systematic tailgating are more often than not the true causes of accidents IMHO. Much less the sleepiness while driving.

Can't count the number of mini-buses that have either had the seat belts rendered useless by thick zip-ties, or removed altogether.

If zip-tied, I use my knife to cut them, drawing bizzarre looks and on a one occasion, anger. If removed, I don't ride.

Having said that, I have indeed been on those with belts available and good drivers.

Vans only travel on Sukhumvit road in the Sattahip area as far as I know. I don't know how you get to sit next to the driver because they always tell me where to sit and only good looking women get next to the driver.

I take the van from the parking area opposite Morchit. These vans often drive several kilometers out of their way for some passengers and they don't drive along Sukhumvit Road but zigzag between the villages.

I jump in the front as soon as they open the door. No one ever complained. Sometimes they make a little makeshift seat between the driver and the passenger and once i sat next to some kid or had a couple of puppies in a cardboard box. I saw many small black insects crawling out of the box and was later covered in small bites. I still don't know what the insects were.

Edited by petedk

What i seen just yesterday on the Mae Sot road. It was like something out of the James Bond movie, all of the upper deck missing and many deaths according to the news.

Sorry the pic is on its side.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

post-134747-13553763026339_thumb.jpg

Edited by jambco984

Vans only travel on Sukhumvit road in the Sattahip area as far as I know. I don't know how you get to sit next to the driver because they always tell me where to sit and only good looking women get next to the driver.

I take the van from the parking area opposite Morchit. These vans often drive several kilometers out of their way for some passengers and they don't drive along Sukhumvit Road but zigzag between the villages.

I jump in the front as soon as they open the door. No one ever complained. Sometimes they make a little makeshift seat between the driver and the passenger and once i sat next to some kid or had a couple of puppies in a cardboard box. I saw many small black insects crawling out of the box and was later covered in small bites. I still don't know what the insects were.

Sorry I have no idea what you are writing about. All of the vans I have ever been on there is a person who tells everyone where to sit and I have never seen they vary their route at all. But it's not important. We both agree they are dangerous I think speed and bad driving and you think sleep. The result is the same death and injury.

What i seen just yesterday on the Mae Sot road. It was like something out of the James Bond movie, all of the upper deck missing and many deaths according to the news.

I guess there was nobody beside the driver handing out breath mints and discussing the merits of thai women versus their foreign counterparts, how cold it is in your country of origion, or traffic.

there is no argument to be had here.

You lot can take the bus, my family and i will find alternate transport.

I guess there was nobody beside the driver handing out breath mints and discussing the merits of thai women versus their foreign counterparts, how cold it is in your country of origion, or traffic.

there is no argument to be had here.

You lot can take the bus, my family and i will find alternate transport.

Unfortunately at the front of the bus the drivers side window has gone like someone went through it.

I on the other hand have been on the buses in Thailand 1 time. Now i drive my truck or take a plane.

Dont understand if your directing the cold and traffic questions at me but....

Its ice cold in England at the moment and traffic moderate to busy?????

I havent been back for 2 years just thought i would get a pic of a crazy sight.

It's my opinion .If that's not a contribution ,this site is worth as little as your last opinion.

Well, I used to drive trucks and once almost fell asleep after a 30 hour job.

Sitting in the first row, I watched a driver going from Phrae to Udon Thani count money while driving fast.

The same many times with song taew drivers. Some of those couldn't even shift up or down properly.

One guy needed 2 lanes at once. But these guys filled in for the regular drivers.

One guy never shifted to 3rd gear and had the engine screaming in 2nd gear.

Another "driver" was crawling in 3rd gear with the engine almost stalling.

Amazing Thailand!

bring nodoze next time. quietly and politely offer one to the driver, or offer a canned coffee.

i stopped taking the minivans. the last driver on a redeye run was high me thinks. i said something to him at a rest stop and he just stared, red eyes, not blinking. this was a chiang mai to ventiane overnight run.

Edited by jacktrip

It's my opinion .If that's not a contribution ,this site is worth as little as your last opinion.

Calling people whinging gits is hardly contributing to the discussion, it's just flaming, and the fact that my opinion means nothing to you gives it all the more credence.

Edited by giddyup

i dont "say" i live in Thailand, i do live in Thailand and have done so for many years.

thankfully taking a bus is not a choice i have to make, no whingeing necessary

I don't think that stating the fact that Thai bus drivers aren't the most conscientious and responsible of people equates to "whingeing" whether you use buses here or not. God forbid we criticise anything without being labelled as whingers by Kipperthai.

You see many bus and minivan accidents in the news. So it is a risk, nothing wrong with minimizing that risk.

I drive my motorbike and accept the risks. I got a car too, less risky but i still take the bike.

I dont consider it strange to talk about the risks and see what companies are good.

You got to think for yourself here and see what you think is acceptable. With the freedom and low price comes some dangers.

It would be stupid if you ecxpect western standards for a thai price.

It's more likely passing on blind corners and weaving in and out of traffic that causes vans to have an excessive number of accidents. However, people keep forgetting tha there are far more vans and busses in Thailand than there are in places like North America and Europe. It only stands to reason that increased numbers of busses and vans would relate to increased numbers of accidents in those vehicles. I hate the vans with a passion because I see far more of them driving recklessly than any other type of vehicle. On EVERY long distance trip I've taken in Thailand I've been forced off the road by a van passing on a blind corner. I only survive because I expect it to happen and I'm always ready for it.