Should Thailand Have A Uk Welfare System?

farang000999

While many families are worrying about how to afford Christmas this year, one jobless single mother has revealed she receives so much in benefits she has £2,000 to spend on designer gifts, clothes and partying.

Mother-of-two Leanna Broderick plans to buy 20 presents for each of her children, including Burberry and Ralph Lauren outfits, iPads and gold jewellery.

The 20-year-old, who has never worked, claims nearly £15,500 a year in state handouts.

20121211_benefits.png

She claims she is better off on benefits and would not get a job unless she could continue her luxury lifestyle, which includes designer outfits, holidays abroad, clubbing, lunches out and expensive gifts for her daughters Zelekah, two, and Zakirah, one.

‘Last year, I saved £2,500 and my kids had 50 presents each, including Burberry and Ralph Lauren clothes and dolls, DVDs and CDs.

This year, I’ve saved £2,000 and they’ll get 20 presents each, including iPads and a new Disney-themed bedroom to share, with designer wall art and bed linen,’ she said.

She is also buying gold earrings for Zelekah, who has pierced ears, and keeping £300 for the sales and £150 for a New Year’s Eve outing.

Miss Broderick, who left school at 16 with no GCSEs, said: ‘I don’t care if people get annoyed. I don’t take advantage, I just choose to save – it’s smart.’

She said there was ‘no point’ earning less in a minimum wage job and having to pay for childcare on top.

After becoming pregnant at 17 with her on-off 23-year-old boyfriend, Miss Broderick was allocated a temporary three-bed council house.

When Zelekah was eight months old she considered working in care, but then became pregnant again by the same man.

Now split from the girls’ father, she has a new two-bedroom council flat in Croydon, South London, with a garden, which is paid for by her £111 weekly housing benefit – part of £1,290 a month total claim.

She said: ‘I didn’t want to miss out on my kids’ childhoods or have someone else raise them. I’m not one of those girls who gets pregnant for the benefits.’

The money for Christmas comes from the £250 she saves each month, which she said shows she is ‘really responsible’.

She adds: ‘Anyone who thinks people on benefits don’t deserve nice things is talking rubbish. I work 24/7 as a mother.

This way, taxpayers know I’m raising two well-brought-up kids.’

But she admits Christmas might not be so lavish next year because of the Government’s benefit cuts.

‘I’m not against the cuts, but only if the Government helps me find a job,’ she said.

In the meantime, I’ll stay on benefits and get as much as I can out of it.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246104/Unemployed-single-mother-benefits-spends-2-000-Christmas-20-presents-children.html

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - try looking to Denmark, in Scandinavia.

There she could easily collect 3-4000 USD a month, and the government will on top of that pay for almost everything you can think of.

Looking at a single 25 year old with no obligations in the world, no kids, nothing - can easily collect more than 2200 USD a month, doing nothing w00t.gif

People in a union, being a member more than a year, can collect benefits 1-2x that, no matter if they own property, cars, have money in the bank....for 2 whole years(until just recently it was crazy 4 years).

Systems like that just ain't sustainable any more - there are to few to carry the many.

• Like 2

Unemployed in Norway get extra money during summer time, so they can go on vacation.

I remember how my Welsh brother in-law was pleasantly shocked when extra money ticked in.

I was unemployed for 3 months some years ago, and I could keep my 2-bedroom apartment, and basically continue my lifestyle.

Really didn't need to reduce any consumption of whatever.

A too good welfare system, which is open for everyone who likes to exploit it.

Then again, we can afford it.

Thailand can not.

It's clear there is a problem and it makes me sick to hear about things like this. Nobody should starve in the modern world but nobody should be comfortable being idle when they can work. It would be very easy to leech from the hard work of others.

According to recent reports many Asian nations are trying to adopt similar welfare states now that their economies are growing in a way that looks sustainable.

http://www.economist.com/node/21562210

http://www.economist.com/node/21562195

Edited by jackinbkk

It's clear there is a problem and it makes me sick to hear about things like this. Nobody should starve in the modern world but nobody should be comfortable being idle when they can work. It would be very easy to leech from the hard work of others.

According to recent reports many Asian nations are trying to adopt similar welfare states now that their economies are growing in a way that looks sustainable.

I agree, nobody should starve these days.

The problem in this region is of course where the tax money ends up, on the way to the budgets (and after budgeting).

Corruption will make sure the country can never afford a decent welfare system.

By the way, how many (that should) actually pay tax here?

Unemployed in Norway get extra money during summer time, so they can go on vacation.

I remember how my Welsh brother in-law was pleasantly shocked when extra money ticked in.

I was unemployed for 3 months some years ago, and I could keep my 2-bedroom apartment, and basically continue my lifestyle.

Thailand can not.

Well I clearly didn't know the rules in the UK. I've been unemployed at times an I got £65 (3,200THB) a week in Job seekers allowance. I don't know how people could get by on that in the UK but I suppose there are many other benefits they can claim?

I know of one individual (UK, Expat) with a net worth close to £1 million. Homes in Thailand and the UK. He sent his son (born in Thaland) to study in the UK. The son then went to work in the UK and immediately asked me how to claim job seekers allowance from day one. That makes my blood boil too bah.gif

Thailand can not.

Well I clearly didn't know the rules in the UK. I've been unemployed at times an I got £65 (3,200THB) a week in Job seekers allowance. I don't know how people could get by on that in the UK but I suppose there are many other benefits they can claim?

It's gone up to £71 a week now.

I agree, nobody should starve these days.

The problem in this region is of course where the tax money ends up, on the way to the budgets (and after budgeting).

Corruption will make sure the country can never afford a decent welfare system.

By the way, how many (that should) actually pay tax here?

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, those in power line their own pockets and those of their friends and families. As demonstrated by the UK's own chancellor. Lead by example.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/07/taxpayers-paid-george-osborne-paddock-mortgage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9694923/George-Osborne-makes-400K-profit-on-constituency-home.html

• Like 1

Thailand can not.

It's gone up to £71 a week now.

In the time since I was on JSA I'd say the £ probably lost 25% of it's value anyway so in real terms I'd say the £65 back then was worth more than the £71 today in purchasing power. (71 * 0.75 = £53)

but that's not a definite calculation.

The problem is that too many people would prefer not too work if they could still live a fairly comfortable life and there are not enough people who like to work to support them. if you could have enough to eat and a roof over your head with no effort, would you take some boring job that you can't stand just to do a little better?

• Like 2

The problem is that too many people would prefer not too work if they could still live a fairly comfortable life and there are not enough people who like to work to support them. if you could have enough to eat and a roof over your head with no effort, would you take some boring job that you can't stand just to do a little better?

Thanks for returning the discussion to Thailand relevance.

• Like 1

Thailand can not.

And when the oil runs out?

Society does need to take care of those in unfortunate circumstances. Howver it is the welfare state that encourages the useless dreggs of the world with the promise of bludging, it should not never apply to immigrants. A safety net is essential however a Nanny State just means high taxes, red tape, low productivity and high unemployment. A fair balance is hard to find, but once welfare starts it just grows and grows. The result of that worldwide we will be experiencing soon, doubt most will enjoy, well except bankers of course.

Thailand can not.

Not wanting to high jack this thread, but look here: http://en.wikipedia...._Fund_of_Norway

Btw, we have enough oil and gas for 150+ years more. After that, I believe we use something else anyway.

The Norwegian state own between 1 and 2 % of all stock (stock exchanges) on the globe.

Again, Thailand, which is the case here, can not afford this.

Edited by Travel2003

This kind of thing doesn't sit well with me on a personal level but the slacker in me would ask the following:

Where is it written that, by virtue of being born into this world at this time, I am compelled to toil in return for the means with which to sustain my existence?

What if I don't want to work? What if I just want to "get by"?

Why should I run with the rats just to join the ranks of the mindless consumers who feed the fat cat parasites at the top?

Why should I bust my arse to "buy" a box made of bricks & mortar with a crippling debt?

Why should I conform to what society expects and procreate so I can reinforce the shackles of my wage slavery with those of responsibility for feeding, educating and supporting my offspring in a world that will almost certainly be unable to provide them with suitable opportunities to do the same when they come of age?

Don't get me wrong; I'd neither shed a tear nor utter a word in protest if the woman in the article had been sterilised with the onset of puberty to prevent her reproducing but, on occasion, I do wonder

Not wanting to high jack this thread, but look here: http://en.wikipedia...._Fund_of_Norway

Btw, we have enough oil and gas for 150+ years more. After that, I believe we use something else anyway.

The Norwegian state own between 1 and 2 % of all stock (stock exchanges) on the globe.

That fund is a legend, and managed at a cost of 0.1% per annum. By the government, not some phony private corporation. Every other country that sits on oil and gas; except perhaps Venezuela, or other resources can learn from you how to make them benefit the whole population. Not going to happen. Capitalism, a love story.

Thailand can not.

Most Western nations cannot afford the welfare systems with which they have lumbered themselves. I don't think Thailand wants to be able to affford such a system - most people wouldn't want to pay the taxes. Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2

Perhaps the UK should take a leaf out of Thailand's books, remove welfare and have single mothers sell sex to foreign tourists.

Meanwhile, every British expat knows that in the event his/her life here goes to rat sh1t, he can return to the UK and put his/her hand out to the UK government, certain in the knowledge that he will be provided with the necessities of life, upto and including any healthcare that s/he needs.

Of course the rally cry goes up, "I'd never do such a thing" or "I swear I'll never set foot in that hell hole again".

Well never say never and at least consider the freedom of choices having welfare and healthcare free at the point of need has given you in life.

I know, you never needed it - Nor did you need to buy life and welfare insurance in the private market.

The recipients of welfare benefits are not simply those claiming welfare cheques!

1 in 8 in the UK were not born there. I wonder why they are there. coffee1.gif

The three foreigners I have personally recruited to the UK are there earning 6 figure salaries, paying more tax than most people in the UK earn, having brought with them education and skills we needed, that were not available in the local UK market and which cost the UK tax payer absolutely zero.

Meanwhile I know a number of guys who took their Thai wives and families back to the UK when they thought they'd have a better life (better education and opportunities for themselves).

But I take your point, foreigners going and living in other people's countries and all that...... !

• Like 1

Perhaps the UK should take a leaf out of Thailand's books, remove welfare and have single mothers sell sex to foreign tourists.

Meanwhile, every British expat knows that in the event his/her life here goes to rat sh1t, he can return to the UK and put his/her hand out to the UK government, certain in the knowledge that he will be provided with the necessities of life, upto and including any healthcare that s/he needs.

Of course the rally cry goes up, "I'd never do such a thing" or "I swear I'll never set foot in that hell hole again".

Well never say never and at least consider the freedom of choices having welfare and healthcare free at the point of need has given you in life.

I know, you never needed it - Nor did you need to buy life and welfare insurance in the private market.

The recipients of welfare benefits are not simply those claiming welfare cheques!

1 in 8 in the UK were not born there. I wonder why they are there. coffee1.gif

The three foreigners I have personally recruited to the UK are there earning 6 figure salaries, paying more tax than most people in the UK earn, having brought with them education and skills we needed, that were not available in the local UK market and which cost the UK tax payer absolutely zero.

Meanwhile I know a number of guys who took their Thai wives and families back to the UK when they thought they'd have a better life (better education and opportunities for themselves).

But I take your point, foreigners going and living in other people's countries and all that...... !

That's why they need foreigners in the UK, to work and actually pay taxes! (Just kidding)

But Britons need not worry, there appears to be plenty of foreigners in the UK these days:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/12/business/white-britons-no-majority/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

Why all the discussion???? it's simple....you cant have a Social Security System in a third world country...it's impossible.

For Thailand to try this on....would turn into a complete disaster, the infastructure is not, and never will be, in place to support such a DREAM.

Why all the discussion???? it's simple....you cant have a Social Security System in a third world country...it's impossible.

For Thailand to try this on....would turn into a complete disaster, the infastructure is not, and never will be, in place to support such a DREAM.

DAAAAAA Wrong answer! Do not pass Go. Pay me $200.

http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/index.html