Ex-Thai P M Abhisit To Hear Murder Charge Over Protest Death

webfact

Ex-Thai PM to hear murder charge over protest death

BANGKOK, Dec 14, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva is set to be charged with murder on Thursday over the death of a civilian during a military crackdown on anti-government "Red Shirt" rallies two years ago.

Abhisit, along with his then deputy Suthep Thaugsuban, will be formally charged at Bangkok's Department of Special Investigation (DSI), making them the first officials to face court over Thailand's worst political violence in decades.

About 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 wounded in a series of street clashes between demonstrators and security forces, which culminated in a deadly army operation to break up the protest in May 2010.

The charge against Abhisit, who was prime minister at the time of the unrest, relates to the fatal shooting of taxi driver Phan Kamkong.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith announced the move last Thursday and said it was prompted by a court's ruling in September that Phan was shot by troops -- the first completed inquest into the bloodshed.

Abhisit dismissed the case against him as "political" and said his government had no choice but to take tough action.

A terrorism case against 24 Red Shirt leaders, including five current lawmakers, is also set to begin on Thursday over their part in the rallies, which drew around 100,000 people at their height.

One of the accused, deputy commerce minister Nattawut Saikur, on Wednesday told AFP that he would not attend the hearing because he was required to accompany Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on an official visit.

The trial against the Red Shirt leaders, who pleaded not guilty in August 2010, has been repeatedly postponed.

Sitting lawmakers have immunity so hearings can only be held when parliament is not in session, which is expected to further prolong the legal process.

The Red Shirts -- mostly supporters of ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra -- were demanding immediate elections in their 2010 protest.

They accused Abhisit's government of being undemocratic because it took office in 2008 through a parliamentary vote after a court stripped Thaksin's allies of power.

Polls in 2011 brought Thaksin's Red Shirt-backed Puea Thai party to power with his sister Yingluck as premier, sweeping Abhisit into opposition.

In an interview before the charge against him was announced last month, Oxford-educated Abhisit told AFP that he was "not above the law" and would insist on his innocence in any prosecution.

"I've expressed my regret but I think a lot of people understand how much effort I put in to avoid losses. But it was the job of the government of that day to also restore order in the capital, in the country," he said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-13

UPDATE

Ex-Thai PM to be charged with murder over protest death

BANGKOK, Dec 13, 2012 (AFP) - Former Thai prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva arrived Thursday at a justice ministry building to be charged with murder over a civilian's death during a crackdown on anti-government rallies two years ago.

Abhisit, along with his then-deputy Suthep Thaugsuban, will be formally charged at Bangkok's Department of Special Investigation (DSI), making them the first officials to face a court over Thailand's worst political violence in decades.

Hundreds of riot police flanked the building, as about 20 supporters carrying roses and dozens of protesters holding pictures of those killed in the unrest watched the former leader arrive.

About 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 wounded in a series of street clashes between "Red Shirt" demonstrators and security forces, which culminated in a deadly army operation in May 2010 to break up the protest.

The charge against Abhisit, who was prime minister at the time, relates to the fatal shooting of taxi driver Phan Kamkong.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith announced the move last Thursday and said it was prompted by a court's ruling in September that Phan was shot by troops -- the first completed inquest into the bloodshed.

Abhisit dismissed the case against him as "political" and said his government had no choice but to take tough action. The rallies drew around 100,000 people at their height.

A separate terrorism case against 24 Red Shirt leaders including five current lawmakers for their part in the rallies was again postponed Thursday after two witnesses failed to attend.

"The court has postponed the hearing until tomorrow (Friday)," a judge said, adding the court will issue an arrest warrant for one of the accused, deputy commerce minister Nattawut Saikur, if he is not present then.

Nattawut had said he would miss Thursday's court date because he had to accompany Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on an official visit.

The trial against the Red Shirt leaders, who pleaded not guilty in August 2010, has been repeatedly postponed. Sitting lawmakers have immunity so hearings can only be held when parliament is not in session.

The Red Shirts -- mostly supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra -- were demanding immediate elections in their 2010 protest.

They accused Abhisit's government of being undemocratic because it took office in 2008 through a parliamentary vote after a court stripped Thaksin's allies of power.

Polls in 2011 brought Thaksin's Red Shirt-backed Puea Thai party to power with his sister Yingluck as premier, sweeping Abhisit into opposition.

In an interview before the charge against him was announced, Oxford-educated Abhisit told AFP he was "not above the law" and would insist on his innocence in any prosecution.

"I've expressed my regret but I think a lot of people understand how much effort I put in to avoid losses (of life). But it was the job of the government of that day to also restore order in the capital, in the country," he said.

The DSI said earlier Thursday that after hearing the charges Abhisit and Suthep would be released without bail because they were prominent figures.

Tarit told reporters at DSI headquarters that it was "very awkward" for him to file the charges against the pair because of their position in society and since he himself had served on the official body that oversaw the crackdown in 2010.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-13

• Like 2

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSI takes no chances on security

Piyanut Tumnukasetchai,

Anupan Chantana

The Nation

Hundreds of police officers to be on hand today as Abhisit, Suthep appear to hear murder charges

BANGKOK: -- Some 400 police officers will today be deployed to maintain order at the offices of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), where the two top Democrats - Abhisit Vejjajiva and Suthep Thaugsuban - are scheduled to report to hear charges in connection with the 2010 political violence.

"The process for booking and interrogating Abhisit and Suthep should last no more than three hours," DSI director-general Tarit Pengdith said.

Tarit said the police deployment was a precaution to pre-empt any disturbances involving supporters and opponents of the Democrats.

The DSI's grounds, including the first floor of the car park, would be declared off limits to non-staff, he said.

Metropolitan Police deputy commissioner Maj-General Parinya Chansuriya said police would keep the rival groups from confronting one another.

Even though the red shirts have said they would not show up, security measures would still be implemented for safety reasons, Parinya said.

He said he expected some 100 Democrat supporters to appear in a show of moral support for Abhisit and Suthep.

Abhisit said he and Suthep would duly report to face charges as per the DSI summons.

He said he had no objection to complying with the four DSI conditions imposed in lieu of a bail hearing, since he had no intent to flee.

The conditions include prior approval for travelling abroad and refraining from evidence tampering.

"I still believe the DSI has pinned a flag to fault me and Suthep," he said.

He vowed to fight the charges, saying justice will prevail once the judiciary renders its decision.

"If the court finds me guilty, then so be it, as I am willing to face capital punishment," he said, reminding fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to follow his lead by agreeing to serve his two-year jail term.

Regarding a planned rally by Democrat supporters, he said the rally should take place at the party's headquarters and not at the DSI.

The two Democrats will be at the headquarters before reporting to the DSI.

Red-shirt leader Paiboon Akararattanadilok from Pathum Thani said there would be no red-shirt rally at the DSI, as the group wants to avoid being seen as tampering with the legal proceedings.

"The legal process should be allowed to run its course as victims of the political violence want to see justice served to the culprits," he said.

He said even Abhisit had admitted in a recent BBC interview that live ammunition was used against the crowds.

He said no one was above the law and Abhisit would be liable for the death penalty if found guilty.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-13

So guys son gets let off a murder charge as his dad is a good friend of Thaksins.

A further load of reds get away with bringing the country to a standstill.

Another person gets two years jail but still keeps his passport and does a runner.

A guy who was pushed by a group holding the country to ransom, has to go in front of some guys at the DSI, who we all know have been told to do something or risk losing their jobs and a few other perks.

But as we all know This is Thailand, where money rules.

• Like 1

When a nation puts a pretty decent man on a murder enquiry/charge/investigation, something is sick with the running of it. The thousands who have avoided murder by buying out, and others who are running free. This country thrives on corruption and scandle, it's laws on prostitution and gambling are a joke and abused by all and sundry without any problem--apart from the ones that avoid paying a (my lips are sealed)donation.

Just take a look who the people are in office in the running of the country, my god, and this country has the gall to bring these 2 democrats to court, get real Thailand before you sink further into the corrupt sh#T PIT.....i FEEL SORRY AND SHY FOR THE SUPER FRIENDS/THAIS i know.

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

When a nation puts a pretty decent man on a murder enquiry/charge/investigation, something is sick with the running of it. The thousands who have avoided murder by buying out, and others who are running free. This country thrives on corruption and scandle, it's laws on prostitution and gambling are a joke and abused by all and sundry without any problem--apart from the ones that avoid paying a (my lips are sealed)donation.

Just take a look who the people are in office in the running of the country, my god, and this country has the gall to bring these 2 democrats to court, get real Thailand before you sink further into the corrupt sh#T PIT.....i FEEL SORRY AND SHY FOR THE SUPER FRIENDS/THAIS i know.

You make the assumption that Mr. Abhisit is a "decent" man. I believe him to be more of an opportunist and a poor manager lacking leadership skills. This is a man with a questionable national service record, and with no private sector work experience. He went from a short term lectureship, to a safe seat in the House. Think about it. The man never really worked prior to his ascension.He didn't even work as a civil servant prior to being selected for the political life. I could understand if he had been a gifted academic or was a unifying fgure, but he was not.

I went to school with guys like this. A guy that has never had a real job, whether it is a part time job at the 7-11 or doing manual labour like so many university students have done, can not understand those that do have to work. He has no understanding of the typical Thai.

Perhaps, he is not guilty of the charges, or perhaps he is. The investigation will help determine if there are sufficient grounds to proceed with a court appearance. Moe likely than not, he will not be convicted.

Why am I never surprised when I read any of your posts?

• Like 1

The conditions include prior approval for travelling abroad and refraining from evidence tampering.

I wonder why they didn't add tampering with the decision-making process by attempted bribery of the presiding judges via a lawyer armed with a lunch-box full of cash.

Because its not Thaksin being charged today.

You make the assumption that Mr. Abhisit is a "decent" man. I believe him to be more of an opportunist and a poor manager lacking leadership skills. This is a man with a questionable national service record, and with no private sector work experience. He went from a short term lectureship, to a safe seat in the House. Think about it. The man never really worked prior to his ascension.He didn't even work as a civil servant prior to being selected for the political life. I could understand if he had been a gifted academic or was a unifying fgure, but he was not.

I went to school with guys like this. A guy that has never had a real job, whether it is a part time job at the 7-11 or doing manual labour like so many university students have done, can not understand those that do have to work. He has no understanding of the typical Thai.

Perhaps, he is not guilty of the charges, or perhaps he is. The investigation will help determine if there are sufficient grounds to proceed with a court appearance. Moe likely than not, he will not be convicted.

I think you have Mr. Abhisit confused with Obama. Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

When did Thaksin, better known as The 500 baht Kid, change his name to Abhisitblink.png

I suppose real justice is a bit too much to expect when 80% of the country have been brainwashed by baht

Well baht will by everything here. So dont blame it on one person. Iyt has been that way for 40+ years.

It was under his oreders to use live ammo.

Maybe this will open a real can of worms...like prosecution of those in political positions when there was in the 'past' happenings such as the extra-judicial killings of thousands of people under the heading of a 'crackdown on drugs.' Hmmm, not.

Change "Abhisit" to "Tony Blair" - still reads true.

Maybe this will open a real can of worms...like prosecution of those in political positions when there was in the 'past' happenings such as the extra-judicial killings of thousands of people under the heading of a 'crackdown on drugs.' Hmmm, not.

Or, cases where sons of wealthy / ruthless / no morals politicians get found not guilty in the cold blooded murder of a good guy cop in a disco.

• Like 1

It was under his oreders to use live ammo.

And why was it?
  • Like 1

".........deputy commerce minister Nattawut Saikur, on Wednesday told AFP that he would not attend the hearing because he was required to accompany Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on an official visit."

It would be interesting to know who decides that his presence on an "official visit" supersedes attendance at court, especially as his availability is restricted by his parliamentary immunity. What's next, a note from his mum.

Dear G'kd,

You start your message with words about people assuming abhisit is a decent man, then you try (with the words below) to build a perception that he's not decent because he never worked whilst he was at university, etc etc etc.

You wrote:

..... and with no private sector work experience. He went from a short term lectureship, to a safe seat in the House. Think about it. The man never really worked prior to his ascension.He didn't even work as a civil servant prior to being selected for the political life. I could understand if he had been a gifted academic or was a unifying fgure, but he was not.

I went to school with guys like this. A guy that has never had a real job, whether it is a part time job at the 7-11 or doing manual labour like so many university students have done .....

So does that mean that everybody who never worked whilst at university / everybody who never worked in the civil service before they entered parliament is 'not decent'?

What actual evidence / facts do you have which proves that abhisit is not a decent man?

Just a quick question g'kid, are all the PT politicians, red thugs now in parliamnet and/or occupying senior positions within the various ministries and/or the various deputy prime ministers all decent men (and women)? Please give us your summation on this.

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

Just a quick question g'kid, are all the PT politicians, red thugs now in parliamnet and/or occupying senior positions within the various ministries and/or the various deputy prime ministers all decent men (and women)? Please give us your summation on this.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

The yellow tower had put the red king in a chess position. Next move = take the tower and win the game...

Poor PT party, poor Tarit: consult the Webster dictionary first before you use the word "murder"....

Dear G'kd,

You start your message with words about people assuming abhisit is a decent man, then you try (with the words below) to build a perception that he's not decent because he never worked whilst he was at university, etc etc etc.

You wrote:

..... and with no private sector work experience. He went from a short term lectureship, to a safe seat in the House. Think about it. The man never really worked prior to his ascension.He didn't even work as a civil servant prior to being selected for the political life. I could understand if he had been a gifted academic or was a unifying fgure, but he was not.

I went to school with guys like this. A guy that has never had a real job, whether it is a part time job at the 7-11 or doing manual labour like so many university students have done .....

So does that mean that everybody who never worked whilst at university / everybody who never worked in the civil service before they entered parliament is 'not decent'?

What actual evidence / facts do you have which proves that abhisit is not a decent man?

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

Some perceptions here are wrong about Abhisit. My assessment is that Thai politics are not mature enough for a clever guy ,like Abhisit. He came one century too early!

Edited by dude007
  • Like 2