Phuket Customs Deliver ' Crushing Blow' To Copyright Pirates

webfact

Phuket Customs deliver 'crushing blow' to copyright pirates

Phuket Gazette

p1.jpeg

Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut (left) joined in on the smashing of pirated goods yesterday. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

p2.jpeg

Customs Department director-general Benja Luicharoen (right) holds a pair of counterfeit designer jeans, while Gov Maitri takes a pair of scissors to them. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Phuket Customs destroyed an estimated 29 million baht's worth of pirated goods yesterday as part of their ongoing battle to protect intellectual property rights on the island.

Fake copies of designer brand-name purses, sunglasses, shoes and mobile phones were among the nearly 10,000 items destroyed.

“The 9,762 counterfeit items destroyed today are from 44 closed cases related to pirated goods. They were seized on Phuket between October 2011 and September 2012,” said Customs Department director-general Benja Luicharoen, who chaired the ceremony.

The counterfeit items were destroyed through a variety of methods, including destruction by hammer and knife, as well as mass destruction by way of a road roller.

“We are continually arresting those involved with selling and distributing pirated goods in order to protect society from counterfeit items. We are also keeping inline with our department’s policy, which follows the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights [TRIPS] of the World Trade Organization,” said Ms Benja.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ates-19699.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-12-13

Do they really think that people will start buying the real ones now that the fake ones have been destroyed? Do they really think that they haven't already gone back into business? I understand trying to protect intellectual property but the vast majority of the people buying these items are people that would not buy the original anyways and going a little further will just find the fakes somewhere else. The only people they are hurting are the local vendors....

• Like 2

Do they really think that people will start buying the real ones now that the fake ones have been destroyed? Do they really think that they haven't already gone back into business? I understand trying to protect intellectual property but the vast majority of the people buying these items are people that would not buy the original anyways and going a little further will just find the fakes somewhere else. The only people they are hurting are the local vendors....

I think if the fake ones are no longer around and people want the products they will buy the real ones. It's good the Thai government did this. They need to do it all over Thailand.

• Like 1

I think if the fake ones are no longer around and people want the products they will buy the real ones. It's good the Thai government did this. They need to do it all over Thailand.

I will admit, it's at least possible to find the originals nowadays. When I first came to Thailand, you literally couldn't find original copies of Windows or Office for sale to the public, so things have improved. Although I don't remember seeing a legit copy of Photoshop here - maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

It's still easier to find illegal copies of the software though.

The "counterfeit goods" question is a very complex one..................!

I recently sent my 20yr old, genuine, Rolex Submariner back to the UK for a routine service because the Thai Rolex service centre in Bangkok wanted about twice as much as the London centre for the same work.

I bought a fake Rolex GMT Master II in Patpong market to replace it for the 6 months it was going to take to get my genuine one back over here but I was so impressed with the quality of the construction and improvements in the design of this model that I immediately contacted a dealer in the UK and arranged a p/x of my old Submariner for a new Rolex GMT Master II - so, Rolex Sa. in Switzerland have actually made a new sale entirely due to me purchasing of a fake copy..........................!

As I said - a complex question................

• Like 2

The "counterfeit goods" question is a very complex one..................!

I recently sent my 20yr old, genuine, Rolex Submariner back to the UK for a routine service because the Thai Rolex service centre in Bangkok wanted about twice as much as the London centre for the same work.

I bought a fake Rolex GMT Master II in Patpong market to replace it for the 6 months it was going to take to get my genuine one back over here but I was so impressed with the quality of the construction and improvements in the design of this model that I immediately contacted a dealer in the UK and arranged a p/x of my old Submariner for a new Rolex GMT Master II - so, Rolex Sa. in Switzerland have actually made a new sale entirely due to me purchasing of a fake copy..........................!

As I said - a complex question................

I sent my Ebel back to the UK for a service and a small part the bill £595.00 Would I buy a fake, you can bet on it.

Levi jeans £5 to make they sell in the UK for £80

Things maybe cheaper in the States but the rest of the world pay lots.

• Like 1

It's basically like this, people that can afford to pay 12000 Baht for a pair of replay jeans for example will buy them and the ones that can't afford them or are too stingy buy fakes or something else. Just because the fakes aren't available anymore doesn't mean that these people suddenly have the means to buy or are willing to fork out that much for the original.

• Like 1

Oh sure, I'll suddenly go from paying 400 baht for a pair of jeans to 2,000 baht... or 500 baht for a watch to 50,000 baht.

looks like a photo op and nothing more. this 'intellectual property' business is getting out of hand, correct me if i'm wrong, but afaik clothing goods and the like dont have copyright per se. there are trademarks, and specific features can be copyrighted, but its not entirely accurate to say that a pair of jeans is copyrighted. theres only so many ways to make a pair of jeans, or a pair of trousers, or a shirt, no? a good example is louis vuitton stuff. the pattern is copyrighted, and the logos are trademarked, but the basic shape of a bag shouldnt be copyrightable. a great example of this sort of bullying is when christian louboutin convinced american customs to confiscate all imported women's shoes with red soles that arent from them. i'd think that such an obvious single design detail would be too vague to copyright or patent. its just a color, nothing more. patents, unlike trademarks or copyrights, have to be functional. they describe how something works or is built. software is very complex, and trivially easy to duplicate perfectly, so its easy to determine whether piracy has occurred. the same is true for music and movies. for physical goods, i think its time for this sort of stunt to stop. "it looks sort of like levis" isnt a good enough reason to do this. follow the letter of the law, and if some big brand thinks a 'generic brand' is copying them, without actual identifiable trademark, copyright or patent infringement, tell them to f*** off!

This is clearly a media stunt, designed to show that something is being done about pirate goods in Phuket.

The argument goes on and on, do sales of copy goods harm sales of the real thing? I'd say yes, not because someone buying a $50 fake would otherwise spend $1500, but because it cheapens the brand. Why buy a XXXX brand bag for $1500 when to the casual observer it could easily be a $50 fake ??

The bottom line is that it's criminal and wrong. The owners of the real brand deserve some protection and if Thailand wants to be taken seriously as a first world responsible nation then it needs to be "seen" to be doing something about the fakes... and that is what this photo opportunity is about.

• Like 1

Nothing more than a game of numbers and publicity. If they destroy 29M baht worth of "stuff" every five or ten years, the pirating industry will survive without any harm. Kinda like when they fine giant corporations, they pay the fine, and return to whatever activity got them there in first place until they are caught again. It's total nonsense...but I'm still glad they do it, better than doing nothing, as copying and pirating is wrong.

Can it hget any more comica?>

Here are two clowns, one in a pink/lilac shirt, pretending to be doing something about fake goods. Meanwhile they preside over the most corrupt Island in creation.

Under 10,000 items seized in 13 months, or about 750 per month....now that's detective work at it's best!!

Roll on boys and girls ...job well done. Thailand must be really proud of you.

Edited by harleyclarkey

The people who buy knock-offs will not buy the real items. They make 300-500 baht per day! Also, 29M baht is nothing at all compare to the illegal activity the counterfeits make. A drop in the bucket sort of speak.

Can it hget any more comica?>

Here are two clowns, one in a pink/lilac shirt, pretending to be doing something about fake goods. Meanwhile they preside over the most corrupt Island in creation.

Under 10,000 items seized in 13 months, or about 750 per month....now that's detective work at it's best!!

Roll on boys and girls ...job well done. Thailand must be really proud of you.

Exactly what I thought. Less than a drop in the ocean.

Nothing more than a game of numbers and publicity. If they destroy 29M baht worth of "stuff" every five or ten years, the pirating industry will survive without any harm. Kinda like when they fine giant corporations, they pay the fine, and return to whatever activity got them there in first place until they are caught again. It's total nonsense...but I'm still glad they do it, better than doing nothing, as copying and pirating is wrong.

This happens more than once every 5 or 10 years, it happens almost every year. They move it around from Bangkok, Chai Mai, Phuket etc. All it is, is for show so Thailand looks like they are serious about this. The manufactures are never hurt they already got paid, it's the poor vendor trying to make a living.