Importing Guns

senoremac

FACTS ONLY; PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HIJACKING THIS POST TO ELICIT YOU PERSONAL OPINIONS ABOUT GUNS

My grandfather has recently passed on and he left me a few guns which he willed to his grandchildren. Since we reside in Thailand and have no intention of returning to the states, I'm in a perdicament to fullfill his dying wishes and I would greatly appreciate any information about transporting his guns to Thailand. My Thai wife informed me that she eligible to own guns, but she is unaware of the costs and feasibility of having them transfered them into her name here.

REITERATION: This is a genuine question and political opinions on gun control should be dedicated to another thread!

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

Jamie

It depends on what kind of guns you want to import. From my research and understanding, Thai authorities do not allow civilians to own a centerfire semi-automatic rifle of any kind. Period. Bolt action, yes. Just not semi-automatic.

You can import the guns, but it is almost as much hassle as importing a car. Like importing it yourself, you have to pay very heavy taxes which I believe explains the high costs in Thailand. (More than double the USA streetprice). You also have to fill out a bunch of customs forms prior to importing the guns.

You can import the guns, but it is almost as much hassle as importing a car. Like importing it yourself, you have to pay very heavy taxes which I believe explains the high costs in Thailand. (More than double the USA streetprice). You also have to fill out a bunch of customs forms prior to importing the guns.

And then after that every gun has to be registered (more money) at the local government office.It's easier to get them registered if you know someone who's a civil servant ;)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide me with some useful information. From my own research as well as the advice I revieved here, I've come to the realization that it is going to be a huge expensive headache, but the sentimental value of the guns outweighs the cost and effort.

Thanks agian for your help.

Jamie

Well, if it is sentimental reasons (rather than financial--i.e. trying to save a buck) then go for it. I think you would probably be best talking to a Thai lawyer. I've looked into it and it is some seriously complicated laws and procedures that you have to go through. I would hate for you to lose the guns to customs or anything like that.

I would go to a gun shop and see if they will import them for you.

(If you want a surefire way of importing something and you don't mind the service charge, do it through a shop, like books through Asia Books).

• Like 2

Please stick to answering the question rather than making it into another anti/pro gun argument which never turns out well here. As for the OP, I would strongly advise following the idea put forth above. Have the guns rendered permanently unusable and you still have the keepsake without the huge hassles that come with working firearms. (though many jusisdictions still have laws covering replicas)

I don't know if rendering them unusable would in fact solve the customs importation problem. It might, but I doubt it. I've already seriously looked into this. It appears from the law that I read, that even parts of a gun you need permission for. Like in the United States, only the receiver is considered a firearm. In Thailand, it looks like barrels, triggers, etc. all require permission to possess. Keep in mind Thailand is a country which is difficult to even import airsoft type of air guns.

Thai firearms act (in English):

http://www.vertic.org/media/National%20Legislation/Thailand/TH_Firearms_Ammunition_Act.pdf

See section 4*: "firearms means to include all types of weapons...AND ANY PART OF THAT WEAPON THAT THE MINISTER DEEMS IMPORTANT AND IS SPECIFIED IN THE MINISTERIAL REGULATIONS".

Even if deactivated, the parts of the gun will trigger the import regulations.

• 11 months later...

Tremblys answer is very good.

Go to your local Amphur office, apply for the Bor Bor 3 application to buy the weapons. One for each calibre. Once that is granted then talk to your local friendly registered dealer. He cannot import himself - there is a centralised regulatory authority in Bangkok that import permissible firearms on behalf of all dealers - however, he can help flow your firearms through regulatory authority and be a point of liason for you.

WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight
  • Like 1

Its just a thought ....and don't know if it would even work....but maybe....just maybe ...you could have the guns dismantled into pieces....(would seem to me that way, your just shipping metal parts and if rifles ...wood stocks) ....ship in different shipments and reassemble when you get all the parts....

Just a thought

sorry ....didn't see the post by

submaniac

Obviously relevant to my thought

Edited by beachproperty

beachproperty,

the definition of firearms is not the stocks and so and so on, it is the RECEIVER and the barrels. i wouldn't like to think how much trouble you would be in if you tried to split a firearm into its components and then import it on the quiet. You would certainly be looking at arrest, expensive bail without your passport, a lengthy trial with no travel out of thailand and then several years in the can, and then blacklisted from thailand when your ordeal is over.

if the original poster is that concerned with the nostalgic connections with these firearms, he can have them legally deactivated by permanently disabling the receiver, breach and barrel, and them importing them.

Its just a thought ....and don't know if it would even work....but maybe....just maybe ...you could have the guns dismantled into pieces....(would seem to me that way, your just shipping metal parts and if rifles ...wood stocks) ....ship in different shipments and reassemble when you get all the parts....

Just a thought

sorry ....didn't see the post by

submaniac

Obviously relevant to my thought

Importing firearms piecemeal to avoid import duties / controls would seem like a surefire way to end up in prison in most countries... the recievers being the highly controled part in most areas.

If the OP does import the firearms it would likely be worthwhile to remove the furniture and pretty much embalm them in grease given the moist climate (assuming you aren't going to be firing and subsequently cleaning them regularly). I don't know if appropriate rust inhibiting grease / cosmoline is readily available here so it may be worth checking and importing the grease as well if necessary (or have them greased prior to shipping). I have never done this myself but would think I wouldn't shoot much here and would worry about the climate though I don't know what grease would be most appropriate. The safe my firearms are in (in the US) uses a heating element to lower the relative humidity, I don't know if that would work in this climate.

My friend owned a registered Colt 1911 .45 ACP in Belgium.

He moved to Thailand with his wife and daughters 7 years ago and wanted to import this gun.

The ampheu refused a gun permit because .45 ACP is considered "war ammunition".

He contacted a lawyer who confirmed the "war ammunition" limitation and also warned that, as the gun would have to stay with customs for months, it could suddenly "disappear", never to be found again.

He sold the gun thru a gun dealer in Belgium and now has a registered Glock 26 9mm in Thailand.

He moved to Thailand with his wife and daughters 7 years ago and wanted to import this gun.

He contacted a lawyer who confirmed the "war ammunition" limitation and also warned that, as the gun would have to stay with customs for months, it could suddenly "disappear", never to be found again.

He sold the gun thru a gun dealer in Belgium and now has a registered Glock 26 9mm in Thailand.

Weird. I am unaware of any military on the planet that still has .45 ACP as a standard issue weapon. The US might have been th only one that ever standardized on this caliber. Yet the 9mm is almost ubiquitous with western militaries. And 9 mm isn't "war ammunition"?

Always amusing to see how government employees with zero knowledge of the subject make decisions. laugh.png

As to OPs questions, I understand the sentimental value and your fathers last wishes as important to you. But it better be really important with the risks you take being a foreign gun owner in Thailand. I am absolutely a gun owner in the USA. I'm not certain I would own any in Thailand if I retired there. It does seem a conundrum. I would be curious if you have a conversation with a lawyer what advice you get.

I would concur with a lot of the above. Gun's are horribly expensive here compared to what I would pay in the US (these are of sentimental value, so thats priceless), but when I looked at buying something back in the States and importing it, I kinda gave up. Too much hassle, too much expense, and ended up just buying a horribly overpriced Glock in BKK.

So, store your guns back in the US, safest option, since customs, regardless of whatever paperwork you have, could end up confiscating them.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

I would go to a gun shop and see if they will import them for you.

(If you want a surefire way of importing something and you don't mind the service charge, do it through a shop, like books through Asia Books).

This.

OP, I have licenses to own two guns in Thailand. I'm American if it matters. Both guns are semi-automatic Glocks.

Here's how it worked for me. I have a friend in Thailand who knows a very powerful policeman. That policeman was persuaded to go to the Amphur and get permission for my friend and me to own the two guns together. The policeman went with us and we bought two Glocks. Then he took us to someone (I can't remember the name) who is the standard designated office to register guns. The guns were engraved right there with a number designated by Thailand. Those two numbers on those two guns trace the guns right back to my friend and me.

No one else is allowed to use those guns. Before he could, he'd also have to get a license to use them.

The reason we both got each gun registered to us was so that we would be legal to be in possession of both guns, inside a home or on our person.

If your wife gets the license, you can't possess or use the guns. You need the licenses and my guess is that so does your wife because she will have access to them. You can check farther into that with a gun dealer.

Now get ready to "Pull some strings." Go to a licensed gun dealer and get the guns imported to him. Pay him to help you get a license for each gun, and the same for your wife if needed. Pay him to take you to get the guns registered and to grease some .....

Talk to the gun dealer about what to put on the form for the reason you need the gun. Hunting and self defense are two legitimate boxes you could check, but ask.

Once the guns are registered to you be aware that you are responsible for them. If any are stolen report it immediately and hope for the best. Don't count on the police or courts to be on your side if something goes bad with one of the guns. I would buy a very good gun safe.

Think hard about whether you want the responsibility, and if you do, good luck.

• Like 1

I'm with neversure on this. I only have a gun since my wife's cousin is a cop and 'facilitated' my glock purchase. You do have some jeopardy here, I suspect if anything 'bad' was to happen, I'd be on my own....do they feed you in Bang Kwan????

Are you sure about this, last time I was in Pattaya I used the range at Tiffanys & it was a Colt 1911 .45 ACP I paid to have a go with?

When I retired my department gave me my 40 cal Glock . I looked into bringing it here to Thailand even with the help of a policeman here it was not worth the aggravation. Hence I left it with a trusted friend with instructions to keep it incase I ever return to the USA ...

Same for me in the UK. Before I moved here in 2002 I owned about 35 guns (I was thinking to start a revolution...). Almost impossible to import them into Thailand, so I either sold them or handed them in to the police for destruction.

Simon