Free Wifi Spots To Be Expanded Almost Nationwide: Thailand

webfact

Free wifi spots to be expanded almost nationwide

By Digital Media

wi.jpeg

BANGKOK, Dec 15 – The government’s free wifi service will cover 80 per cent of the country by May next year, according to the Information and Communications Technology Ministry (ICT).

ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said the ministry was allocated a new budget of Bt831 million to expand the free wifi coverage which is currently available at 200,000 spots nationwide.

The service is partly to facilitate first grade students who have been given free tablets for education under the government’s “Smart Thailand” policy, he said.

Mr Anudith said the 200,000 free wifi spots are provided with cooperation of Thailand’s major mobile phone companies.

The ICT is discussing with the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) to expand the service to 31,334 schools nationwide while full coverage nationwide will need an investment of more than Bt30 billion, he said.

The ICT and Dtac, one of Thailand’s three largest mobile phone companies, on Friday launched a pilot project of Dtac free wifi at Wat Nam Daeng School in outlying Samut Prakarn province where 140 first grade students were given free tablets by the government.

The company will also provide free wifi at 12 state hospitals in the country, starting next year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-12-15

• Like 1

My warmest welcome & applaud on the government's decision to have free WiFi everywhere! Best thing they did for the public. Now we just have to wait to see if they carry it through....

Only for people with Thai ID cards. You have to register with your ID card number.

sent from my Q6

My warmest welcome & applaud on the government's decision to have free WiFi everywhere! Best thing they did for the public. Now we just have to wait to see if they carry it through....

Only for people with Thai ID cards. You have to register with your ID card number.

sent from my Q6

Not true. It works for everyone, also foreigners who must use passport number to log in online. Touristic areas will be likely jammed though.

sent from my Q6

Not true. It works for everyone, also foreigners who must use passport number to log in online. Touristic areas will be likely jammed though.

Really!!! Where does it say that.

sent from my Q6

You can register also with passport. The registration gives free access up to 5 h and is valid until the last day of the month. See http://www.ais.co.th/ictfreewifi/.

Yup just done it and is all good.

I have it here in BKK, so long as you have a True account - it has to be the registered account holders ID/Passport - in my case the GF. We get 20hrs per month of access, so long as you have the logon and password details, which you set up when you register. Peachy. smile.png

Well, I hope this is maintained better that our free WiFi network down here in Singapore. The government provided free WiFi hotspots island-wide a few years back through three ISP companies, two of which are government-linked. Worked well enough for the first year or two, but when a hotspot goes down it just stays that way (esp. the ones run by the 3rd company, which seems to run most of them). They have a help line you can call to register a complaint/problem, but nothing ever gets done ... weeks later, and the hotspot will still be dead. And this is in a much more small, manageable, and high-tech environment than Thailand. So good luck with this...

What about all the villages there not have telephone lines, not even mobile phone coverage ?

I will think to cover 80% of the population (Not 80% of the country) they will need close to 1 Mill. hotspots !

If they had to cover 80% of the area it would be Min. 5 Mill. points.

Agreed to cover 80% of the population means making WiFi available to over 50,000,000 people!

Even 80% of the country is simply impossible.

Free Wi-Fi = Easy Govt snooping ?

Don't use it then. I don't have anything to hide, so I'm happy to use it.

The government can just as easily snoop with paid wifi. Or do you think they don't have access? Most countries, including USA and UK, snoop on our communications. Easy to do and no free wifi needed.

Edited by davejones

There's several different options here...

As mentioned above, for people who are existing customers of True or AIS, you can sign up for an add-on wifi service on their respective systems for 99 baht per month. True runs their own wifi network, while AIS uses 3BB hotspots. I've used both around the country, and seemed to have better luck with 3BB's...but True's were OK, just seem to have a lot of non-functioning service points. But for 99 baht per month, it seems a pretty good deal.

Then there's the central government's ICT wifi service that's free upon registration. I only had to register for that once with my GF's Thai ID, and it's worked fine ever since. And I've used it in BKK and at various other cities around the country.

Separate from that in BKK, I believe the BMA had or still has some Green Bangkok free wifi network that's been provided through True. That's the one, AFAIK, where you have to continually re-register every month or so... And it has pretty slow speeds and very limited usage amounts.

Just pay the 99 THB for 3bb Wifi and get one month unlimited with 10 mb. http://www.3bbwifi.comthumbsup.gif

It would probably help if you read it in English

Sorry page is only in thai http://www.3bbwifi.com/home/index.php

Just click Stars and strips flag in the top right hand corner for english

Which would be, where, exactly? huh.png

post-33251-0-15644200-1355563125_thumb.j

The service is partly to facilitate first grade students who have been given free tablets for education under the government’s “Smart Thailand” policy, he said.

The tablets for our P.1 kids were on the way, but never arrived at our school. Is it possible that the same will happen with WIFI? biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai

Free Wi-Fi = Easy Govt snooping ?

Don't use it then. I don't have anything to hide, so I'm happy to use it.

The government can just as easily snoop with paid wifi. Or do you think they don't have access? Most countries, including USA and UK, snoop on our communications. Easy to do and no free wifi needed.

https://airvpn.org/

Just pay the 99 THB for 3bb Wifi and get one month unlimited with 10 mb. http://www.3bbwifi.comthumbsup.gif

It would probably help if you read it in English

Sorry page is only in thai http://www.3bbwifi.com/home/index.php

Just click Stars and strips flag in the top right hand corner for english

Surely that's for the American translation, not the English one?

:P

• Like 1