Help! Best Airport In Europe If Destination Is Nice, France?

craigt3365

Hello fellow travelers. I'm doing some advanced planning for a 3 week trip we're going to take in May or so of next year. We're visiting friends in Nice, France and will be departing from Bangkok.

To add a small twist, after Nice, I'm probably going to visit Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic for a month. Wifey will head home or possibly to London to visit some friends.

So...trying to figure out the most economical way to do this....being a very frugal traveler!!!

My friend does this trip every year and has routed via Paris and most recently via Frankfurt. He has discounted Milan as he says the transport options are difficult.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing we'd get a return flight to some major airport in Europe then get a discount airline down to Nice?????

Thanks in advance!!!!

Craig

On first glance I would suggest Munich. Pleasant enough airport with good connections. If it were up to me I would avoid Paris CDG and FRA.

If your ongoing flight is not in the same terminal (which it most probably won't be) you face mayor obstacles in both airports.

Having said that Paris CDG has high speed trains (TGV in French) transiting through the Airport station in terminal 2. Maybe an option to consider.

Hope to have helped.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

I appreciate your responses. A bit of a complicated trip to plan. Not too bad, but with some planning, might be able to save a few Baht.

I do like the UK angle. Lots of discount airlines there and I could do my trip to one Eastern European city and return back from another. Fly into, say, Gdansk and return from Prague.

Munich is also nice as I could just do a train trip to Eastern Europe...always fun!!

Thanks!!!

Around the time you mentioned I did a quick "Multi City" routing and there are some decent options.

It may be worth checking your exact dates, I did Kayak & Vayama

Mrs. Craig BKK-NCE surface LHR-BKK (surface either LCC or Rail)

Mr Craig BKK-NCE surface WAW-BKK (surface LCC)

If you need flights in central/eastern Europe Wizzair - they don't fly to NCE but if you decide to use another city for point to point maybe worth a look, watch the LCC's in Europe not only weight allowances but the requirement to print your boarding pass etc

http://wizzair.com/en-GB/Search

Rail

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/choose-country/index.php

I'm with Yermanee MUC is much nicer than CDG & FRA.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Most likely Frankfurt, many budget airlines on this route. 25 airlines from FRA to Nice. Some of them nonstop, others with a stopover in Paris. That said, I would take a flight to France, and then a bullet train to Nice if it were me. Love them. Also possible to take the German bullet train from FRA to Cologne, and change trains there to the French TGV. For the trip to PL, CZ, SK maybe a rented car. The Autobahnen they've build for the last 20 years are excellent. Places worth a visit are Karlsbad, Franzensbad, Marienbad, Prague, Brno, Bratislava, and then to the pocket Alps, the High Tatry. Zakopane on the Polish site of this mountain range is also nice.

William: We almost got caught with that boarding pass issue. They wanted some crazy amount as I didn't print it out (didn't know!). Luckily, there was some issue with the reservation and they had to reprint anyway....lucked out. But the issues with luggage is a big deal. I'll have to make sure we are OK with that if this is the direction we go.

Potosi: Great recommendations! I'm sure you could spend a few months checking out this area. I've only got 5 weeks...sad.png

Thanks!!

P.S. Any idea when the best time would be to book these tickets? Departure would be in May sometime....