Buying Used From A Different Province

mania

I am not clear on this so maybe someone can help?

If you buy a used bike from a different province than where you live

do you have to physically do the transfer in that province of purchase/current registration?

Or can you have the bike transported to your province

with the green book & transfer filled out by previous owner

then go into your local DMV alone/without seller & do the transfer yourself?

Thanks for any information.

Edited by mania

Yes you can do that at the main DMV for your location.

but you will have to "de register" from the old province and then " re register" in the new province

and get new number plates it can mean quite a few trips to the DMV.

Thanks is de-registering a big deal?

Also would that be done by the seller then?

Actually it does sound like a big deal or many trips at least.

So basically anytime a person buys a bike from a province other than the one he lives

in he can, continue with the original plates but must go back each year to renew etc?

I always see so many used bikes on mocyc dot com that look decent but they are usually

many hundreds of KM away in another province.

Thanks bazmlb

That doesn't sound as bad

Do I need to be physically present to do the

the transfer where it is from?

Or can I just send the seller my info & proof of residence verification

& have him do it?

Thanks

Edited by mania

Yes you can do that at the main DMV for your location.

but you will have to "de register" from the old province and then " re register" in the new province

and get new number plates it can mean quite a few trips to the DMV.

Thanks is de-registering a big deal?

Also would that be done by the seller then?

Actually it does sound like a big deal or many trips at least.

So basically anytime a person buys a bike from a province other than the one he lives

in he can, continue with the original plates but must go back each year to renew etc?

I always see so many used bikes on mocyc dot com that look decent but they are usually

many hundreds of KM away in another province.

You can keep the book up to date by paying yearly tax in any province. When you decide to reg. in your province only 2 visits req. Ist you go with book and paperwork and second to pick up new plates. Not difficult.
  • Like 1

^^

not correct for Chonburi/Bangkok.

To register a foreign bike in CB/BKK, three visits are necessary.

The second time you have to show the bike, because the DLT wants to check the frame no.

Plus a bunch of documents and copies from both, seller and buyer.

But as there are no plates available at the moment, you have to go a fourth time, some months later, to pick up the plates.

But beware, if the green book is more like a .... "grey book", you know what I mean.... whistling.gif

Than, don't try to do the transfer by yourself! Never!

Edited by Turkleton

Lived all over - paid tax each year at local DLT - still has BKK plate.

This Bike is not yours, if the book isn't in your name.

And what happens, if you want to sell the Bike?

The potential buyer might not be able, to transfer the bike into his name => less money + harder to sell

You could go one time to the province the bike is registered in meet with the seller

take bike to the DMV and do all the paper work to register in your own name ( hopefully )

in one hit as the number plate would not need changing.

Danger is that they will want a piece of paper that you haven't brought with you,or tell you to come back tomorrow.

After that each year you can pay/do tax insurance and road worthyness test in your own province.

I'm not sure if you can do the transfer of name by proxy via the " bai mob amnart" document or not.

• Like 1

You could go one time to the province the bike is registered in meet with the seller

take bike to the DMV and do all the paper work to register in your own name ( hopefully )

in one hit as the number plate would not need changing.

Danger is that they will want a piece of paper that you haven't brought with you,or tell you to come back tomorrow.

After that each year you can pay/do tax insurance and road worthyness test in your own province.

I'm not sure if you can do the transfer of name by proxy via the " bai mob amnart" document or not.

Thanks & yes I am pretty much resigned now to finding something either locally

or at least close enough that I can drive to.

Just seems easier for the reasons you listed :)

Seems like you have the answer already, I did it recently, the seller completed the paperwork at his Land and Transport office, transfer and change of province. As the bike had a very sick engine it was delivered to the shop for repair. They went with all the paperwork the day after it was delivered, with the bike and got the green book, absolutely painless.

• Like 1

Lived all over - paid tax each year at local DLT - still has BKK plate.

This Bike is not yours, if the book isn't in your name.

And what happens, if you want to sell the Bike?

The potential buyer might not be able, to transfer the bike into his name => less money + harder to sell

Green book in my name. Bangkok plate. Lived in Chonburi, now Chiang Mai. Still my bike. Still BKK plate

• Like 1