New Mitsubishi Mirage Glx. Just Got One.

thaicbr

Ok. Just got a new Mitsubishi Mirage GLX. I had a Ford Ranger 2.5 before (boring, But 4 good years.. i kinda wish i had kept it).

1st weekend with the new car.. 1st day i didn't like it much.. 2nd day it's growing on me.

OK. 1st the bad things.. The steering is wooden.. no feel. The throttle is extremely light so difficult to keep at a steady speed with out leg ache. Rear view mirror is to low on the windscreen. And lastly the seats are small (i'm 6ft, 120kg's) the drivers seat seems to have a lumbar bump that pushes me right in the back. out of all these the seats are actually the worst (bad back) followed by the throttle.

Ok now the good things.. Umm everything else. The engine is fast and responsive. The suspension is supple. The build quality seems great.

If any one has any questions , please ask. If any one has a Mirage.. What do you think?

the drivers seat seems to have a lumbar bump that pushes me right in the back. out of all these the seats are actually the worst (bad back) followed by the throttle.

This wasn't evident on the test drive? huh.png

No. because i made the mistake of not taking a long enough test drive and it was in traffic so no long sustained throttle. And the seat i just didnt really notice for the same reasons.. Note to self take a longer test drive in 3-4 years time when i buy a new car.

I would imagine going from a Ford Ranger to a Mitsu Mirage to be a bit of a culture shock laugh.png

Umm not really sure what your getting at. The Ford was a great truck. not flash not fast but cheap and cheerful.. ohh and more comfortable seat wise than the Mitsubishi... And that was one of the reasons i changed cos the ford suspension was a bit harsh..The Mitsubishi is good suspension wise.. just a crap seat no side support (at least for a larger frame)

Edited by thaicbr

the drivers seat seems to have a lumbar bump that pushes me right in the back. out of all these the seats are actually the worst (bad back) followed by the throttle.

No. because i made the mistake of not taking a long enough test drive and it was in traffic so no long sustained throttle. And the seat i just didnt really notice for the same reasons.. Note to self take a longer test drive in 3-4 years time when i buy a new car.

...should of get a New Ranger..wink.png

...should of get a New Ranger..wink.png

nah. to big and about 500 thousand over my budget.. The only reason i posted was to see what others feel about the car and give a heads up what to look for.. effects different people different ways.. All the problems i have should be easy enough to sort out...i hope.

thaicbr I'm sure you know this, but you can get yourself some aftermarket seat upgrades. Or ask Santasmile.png

I'm already pissed off with Santa. He brought the car in the 1st place. Alternative seats will be looked at.. also wondering if the Euro spec Mirage is getting slightly bigger seats. If any one knows.

sent from my Q6

thaicbr I'm sure you know this, but you can get yourself some aftermarket seat upgrades. Or ask Santasmile.png

I'm already pissed off with Santa. He brought the car in the 1st place. Alternative seats will be looked at.. also wondering if the Euro spec Mirage is getting slightly bigger seats. If any one knows.

sent from my Q6

I guess racing seats won't be your thing, if you are of a large frame:) maybe look at a wreckers yard and see what they have. Not sure how much space you have to fit larger seats in though...But you could get the lot recovered in the same material to make it match.

sent from my Q6

I guess racing seats won't be your thing, if you are of a large frame:) maybe look at a wreckers yard and see what they have. Not sure how much space you have to fit larger seats in though...But you could get the lot recovered in the same material to make it match.

By larger I mean bigger than most Thais but fairly normal for a foreigner (Caucasian)

There are a number of things I'm going to try. I think the main problem is lack of side support. And that lumbar bulge.. I find it strange they put it in when its not adjustable.

The throttle will take a little thought:rolleyes:

sent from my Q6

Most of your issues are easily solved. An after-market rear-view mirror that clips over the stock one might give you the extra height you need (if it's taller) and you may find after-market cruise control kits are released in the future to solve your throttle issue ( I don't think there are any at present). You could try seat covers, plush ones might give more of the side support you're looking for. I haven't driven a Mirage, I just sat in one briefly and I see what you mean, you wouldn't notice anything wrong over a short time; I didn't. I'm the same height as you so I was surprised that four people my size could sit in the Mirage, it's a clever use of space, I checked out the back and could even sit behind the driver with both of us having ample leg room. I think five would be uncomfortable.

The mirror is sorted.. kinda.. I got so pissed off with it I yanked it up and was surprised how high the adjustment went. Not used to so much up adjustment on interior mirrors. My gf has been checking the thai sites for seat covers/ reworked seats.

It definitely is the strange lumbar design that's effecting my back also the nylon covers are slippery and sweaty. I have checked out the European YouTubes on the Mirage release and the seats look slightly different. Dunno if they are. I was hoping some one in the know would chip in :D

sent from my Q6

120kg and you're unhappy with the seats in an eco-car?

Quelle surprise....

Why! A cars a car. The eco is for fuel economy.

Many small cars (eco) have decent seats including one's here in LOS the Mirage unfortunately does not. It is simply the bump they have put into the seat as a cheap and nasty lumbar support. I would rather have a big arse than a small brain like you.

sent from my Q6

Why?

Because eco isn't just about fuel economy. Obviously. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy it at it's price-point.

I just parked next to one this afternoon. That is a small car! And you are a big man.

About the small brain...at least I was able to fit two languages into one post. smile.png

• Like 1

Why?

Because eco isn't just about fuel economy. Obviously. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy it at it's price-point.

I just parked next to one this afternoon. That is a small car! And you are a big man.

About the small brain...at least I was able to fit two languages into one post. smile.png

You're lucky your post did not get deleted, only English allowed here biggrin.png .

Why?

The Mirage will actually be cheaper in the Europe . But back back to Thailand. The point is the actual seat is not as good as other eco cars.

sent from my Q6

Why?

The Mirage will actually be cheaper in the Europe . But back back to Thailand. The point is the actual seat is not as good as other eco cars.

sent from my Q6

I didn't try the mirage, but quite liked the seats in the swift - I'm 6'3" but not 120kgbiggrin.png Not sure about driving a long stretch though. Get the seats recovered and put extra padding where you need or, or removed where you don't like it. Certainly the rear 'bench' seat of the mirage didn't appeal to me at all. That alone would have me recovering and bolstering that too!

Why?

sent from my Q6

I didn't try the mirage, but quite liked the seats in the swift - I'm 6'3" but not 120kgbiggrin.png Not sure about driving a long stretch though. Get the seats recovered and put extra padding where you need or, or removed where you don't like it. Certainly the rear 'bench' seat of the mirage didn't appeal to me at all. That alone would have me recovering and bolstering that too!

Actually I'm between 115-118kg :D

I'm going to see a seat shop Friday. They say about 4000b + depending on material. That's to rebuild the 2 front seats and recover front and back.

Not so bad.

I'm still a bit disappointed that I didn't spot it in the test drive. But I think I would have had to recover the seats anyway. The vinyl material is very slippery and sweaty.

Thanks for all the comments. Even the one about my weight and eco cars. Merde that was annoying :lol:

sent from my Q6