Best Trips To Do By Train?

stefaanfernande

Hi, we'll be in Thailand mid Januari for 18 days. We'll be in Bangkok for 4 days but afterworths we'd like to explore the country by train. What's more interesting, the North line going to Chang Mai or the North-Eastern line, via Khon Kaen to the border of Laos? We're not fond of too touristic area's but of course we also want to see something.

Afterworths we'll be heading South to Hua Hin.

Thanks for any advice.

I traveled from Bangkok to Chiang Mai via one of the overnight sleeper trains. They have "first class" cabins, some with two beds, and some with only one bed. If you want one of those, you need to book early. You can book up to 60 days before your trip. I traveled "second class" and still found it a pretty decent way to travel. A good website for info on train travel in Thailand is "The Man in Seat 61" If I'm facing the choice of traveling by train or bus, I would definitely choose traveling by train.

I also took a regular train from Kanchanaburi to Nam Tok and then song-theaw to Hellfire Pass. The train trip was enjoyable and some nice river scenery.

• Like 2

What month/days, approximately, are you planning on traveling?

If during any sort of holiday period it can be challenging to purchase any sort of 1st/2nd class sleepers - and for Songkhran, impossible.

During rainy season it is not unusual for trains to the north to not be able to pass, either due to the tracks being under water, or due to mud slides.

It is also not unusual for longer distance trains to be delayed on the order of 3+ hours, or for air con to fail. As long as you prepare, and are prepared, chances are good you may eventually make it to your destination.

There is a decent express to Hua Hin in the AM, but it still has to wind north through Bangkok, before turning west and then south. Maybe 3-ish hours on a good day.

Tickets can be purchased up to 60 days in advance of travel.

• Like 1

I don't mind the trains at all (better than the buses) but for enjoyable train travel one must be in Thai Time mode and just be able to go into that "mai pen rai " trance state . If you are just new to Thailand ,or the tropics in general, then don't have a tight schedule where you have to be somewhere on time.

I like second class ,sleeper with fan for Chiang Mai line. By the end of the journey you will have met a few fellow passenger ranging from expats, backpackers and everyday Thais .Remember to bring a picnic lunch if you are a fussy eater , but do try the ice cream they sell on the platform just past Nakkon Sawan and remember to have a good time ,

• Like 1

I love traveling by train in Thailand. Bangkok to Chiang Mai overnight sleeper is 12 to 14 hours, but its fun to meet people and I enjoy the clackety clack sounds as i drift off to sleep. There is a day time "Sprinter" and its a good way to enjoy the scenary.

Another good trip is the overnight sleeper from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchatani. Might even be a bit cool this time of year :)

post-2362-0-95656000-1355997411_thumb.jp

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 1

Took the overnight train from Nong Khai to BKK. Two of us did the 2nd Class sleeper. Exceptional value, very clean, and comfortable. Small dining car that sound good Thai meals and cold beer. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

• Like 1

Thanks Briggsythumbsup.gif You rest assured me.

I only when up north a few times by train and i am romanticized by travelling this way. I prefer the train because i dont feel like i am 'canned up' so much as i experience on an airplane or bus. I have more freedom to move around on a train.wai.gif

Just did a trip by train to Chiang Mai & back from Bangkok by the overnight express sprinter last month. We had booked a first class coupe and was very comfortable. Going up, the train was 2hrs late but return trip was on time. Food served was average, toilets were clean. Surely would recommend.

Travelling by train you'll need about 18 weeks to travel that far.

Enjoy.

I would give travelling by train a miss, they are always very late, and very slow.

You're not really enjoying Thailand ... are you?

I've been in Thailand for seven years David, I'm happily married and I love it here, but I wouldn't if I ever had to depend on the trains.

Travelling by train you'll need about 18 weeks to travel that far.

Enjoy.

I would give travelling by train a miss, they are always very late, and very slow.

You're not really enjoying Thailand ... are you?

I've been in Thailand for seven years David, I'm happily married and I love it here, but I wouldn't if I ever had to depend on the trains.

Dave meant being late and slow is actually something that can be liked. :-)

• Like 1

With train travel , it is not the destination but the journey itself that should be enjoyed.

Give yourself time to experience .

Otherwise fly, bus,drive or molecular transportation (beam me to Chiang Mai Scotty).

I love traveling by train in Thailand. Bangkok to Chiang Mai overnight sleeper is 12 to 14 hours, but its fun to meet people and I enjoy the clackety clack sounds as i drift off to sleep. There is a day time "Sprinter" and its a good way to enjoy the scenary.

Another good trip is the overnight sleeper from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchatani. Might even be a bit cool this time of year smile.png

post-2362-0-95656000-1355997411_thumb.jp

There is another line to Chiang Mai from BKK,there must be,the one I took was the worst one ever,clackety bloody clack,what a shit hole of a train

Bangkok - Penang (Butterworth) train does not pass through insurgency area. That is a different line.

Bring a good book.

The jungle line,probably one of the best sightseeing trains in SE asia

Only an hour or so from ,if that by taxi,from the other border rail crossing,jungle line down to Gervis ,then back up to Butterworth. If booked in Malaysia think its 30% off the fare if over a certain age,not in Thailand tho Cheap hotels too in Malaysia

Edited by pinfold
  • Like 1