Traffic In Bangkok Set To Worsen In 2014, Official Warns

webfact

I've been explaining to my S.O. when we are stuck in traffic and she is talking to me about getting her tax rebate for buying a car this last year that it is all a scheme by the government. That they have covered their butts and Thai people fell for it hook line and sinker (not that Americans didn't either back in 2008) I explained to her that the auto companies namely Toyota and Honda were about to leave the country after the floods so the government had to keep them here. By refunding your taxes it's guarantees a certain amount of sales and in Thailand that means huge profits for auto manufacturers. So they stayed, Thai's got to keep their jobs, and that's a good thing, and Bangkok gets to suffer with more traffic congestion, and pollution. I swear I saw a light bulb light up over her head.

Shame Korea is not in ASEAN, Thailand could learn something from this: http://www.thaivisa....official-warns/

As if Thailand is willing to learn from anyone!

Outsiders don't know Thainess!

Why do we need to look at South Korea? Singapore and Malaysia already have this system in place (before South Korea actually). We can just learn from our neighbors.

In many European cities it's sometimes even worse if there is no underground in your vicinity and you have to rely on your two-wheeled vehicle in order to avoid traffic jams, which often means staying at home during the winter months and waiting until it gets warmer and the snow melts away (one of the reasons why some farangs decide to work only on a seasonal basis in their home countries, e.g. from March to November).

In Bangkok, we can fortunately take advantage of motorcycle taxis or the Chao Phraya Express Boat if the place we are going to is unavailable by BTS or MRT. And when the Skytrain doesn't run any more after midnight, we can hail a tuk-tuk. I would never think of driving a car in the City of Angels. It's a good idea to rent a room (and get a job - if you come to the LOS for this purpose) close to one of the BTS stations.

Lived in 4 locations in Thailand over the past several years , Sri Racha , Udon Thani, Phuket and now Bangkok and would say without a doubt that trying to live in this polluted, congested broken down collection of villages that they call metropolitan Bangkok is a bloody nightmare at best.

Everything here is broken and what is not, is about to break. Atmospheric pollution from a myriad of sources, scattered refuse, effusive drain systems, broken pavements and poor quality roads. Chaotic road systems, jammed up soi's, constant interuptions to water and electric services , all make for a very poor experience compared to other location we have lived in Thailand.

Should it not be driven by necessity I would not even set foot in this place. Truly a shit hole when compared to many other Thai locations and it can only get worse. There is nothing civilized nor comforting about living in this cesspit.

Hm...you have never lived in India, or Manila? A thousand times worse, with much worse roads, and much less driver ability in general... Yes being up country is quieter and less polluted to an extent, but Bangkok is still a hell of a lot better than some Asian cities.

I have lived in many different districts of the city, and I see improvements all the time. My wife is from the north east, and although we have spent time there of course, and its nice in its own way, I still prefer Bangkok - each to his own I guess. :)

• 3 months later...