Where To Buy Cheap Deet-Based Repellents?

Small "Sketolene" bottle (4-5 days for 2 ppl) is ≈50b in 7-11 and OFF! spray (9-10 days) is ≈300b in pharmacies!

How do poor local people protect themselves with such crazy prices? :|

Any cheaper stores on Samui?

Edited by Finnegan

Locals generally do not like to use repellents ... !!! They are faster a swatting mossies than us farangs ! wink.png

Gai's Pharmacy Soi 4 Maenam, (Traffic lights there, but not working for a few months, now) Turn towards the sea, is about the cheapest around for Citronella 75 baht for 120 mil non aerosol spray last time I got there ....

Tesco is about 80 baht...

I've not used Deet in years now....

You could check the Moyra Wholesale Pharmacy , just past Soi 4 Maenam (heading to wards Nathon on left side) The have Deet posters in the window... they are cheaper on some things than other Pharmacies.... might be worth asking...

Small "Sketolene" bottle (4-5 days for 2 ppl) is ≈50b in 7-11 and OFF! spray (9-10 days) is ≈300b in pharmacies!

How do poor local people protect themselves with such crazy prices? :|

Any cheaper stores on Samui?

Local people dont bother, even most non locals that live here get used to the odd bite. The more your bitten the less your body reacts. Unless of course you get malaria or dengue, then you really react. Long sleves, long trousers for early evening and a quick sketolene spray on your exposed bits should get you through your holiday.

Have fun!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Remember that mozzies love dark colours - they head for blue or black.

They try to avoid light colours - especially yellow, or white.

Mozzies also love smells. Perfume, aftershave etc or just sweat Try to keep a neutral odour.

Citronella is the best natural defense against them. If that does not work - nuke the little bar-stewards.

Thanks for advices.

Actually, DEET performs much better than citronella: 1, 2, 3. As you can see, citronella must be reapplied in 30-60m, when DEET lasts up to 4 hours.

And "natural" doesn't mean "safe" or "good", natural stuff is still made of chemicals synthesized by other living creatures. Why don't we hug "natural" cobras and chew oleander? smile.png Ceylon type citronella is considered dangerous in EU.

Article from Tropicalevo's link is hysterical because it is published on herbal medicine site. Also, there is no single reference, so I'll better read about DEET in wikipedia.

Edited by Finnegan

I use Jaico roll on, 50 ML costs 290 TB at Saver Mart in Chaweng;

You do not need to apply the product all over your body, just pass it once on your exposed arm or leg, it is effective several hours.

So I just need 1 Jaico 50 MLr oll on, for a whole month.

And it works !

You can try with the smaller roll on, which is also available.