Choosing Meditation Center Around Samui

Finnegan

I have found three meditation centers in Surat Thani in the lists from the pinned topic:

Suan Mokkh (Surat Thani)

Wat Kow Tahm (Phangan)

Samui Dharma Healing Center (Samui)

...and one in Google:

Dipabhāvan (Samui)

Samui Dharma Healing site looks a little crazy to me (books and articles about diets) and Dipabhāvan isn't mentioned in any list of Buddhist meditation centers.

Could anyone make some recommendations? Thanks!

Edited by Finnegan

• 2 months later...

Dipabhavan is an amazing place.

I really loved all the volunteers who run retreats there. And the abbot is a very, very wise man.

Also liked wildlife of jungles around, overall atmosphere of the center, its schedule and themes discussed at Dhamma talks.

Edited by Finnegan

• 1 month later...

Dipabhavan is an amazing place.

I really loved all the volunteers who run retreats there. And the abbot is a very, very wise man.

Also liked wildlife of jungles around, overall atmosphere of the center, its schedule and themes discussed at Dhamma talks.

Hi Finnegan,

I found out about Dipabhavan through this forum and I plan to make a trip there for the 3 day retreat in May or June. I sent them an email to book the May date but I think it will take several days for them to reply due to the retreat on-going these few days.

I would like to make travel arrangements and need some queries and was wondering if you can help or anyone here who have been to Dipabhavan can answer my queries due to the closeness of the retreat date.

Here it is:

1. First day of registration is on the 7th, 1-4 pm, pick up from the 2 locations, however my available flight is only arrival at 9.30pm. I was wondering if I can choose to arrive one day earlier on the 6th and go to the pick up location & stay at the retreat? Or I must strictly arrive on the 7th between the pick up times?

2. Last day of retreat is 10th, means I will have to leave the meditation centre on the 11th right? Just wanted to make sure so I can book my accomodation.

Thanks!

Hi!

1. I think, you should just rent a room for a night. Volunteers don't live at Dipabhavan all the time, so there possibly will be no people to pick you up.

2. No, last day means you wake up, sit one more meditation session and then leave retreat.

I also highly recommend to choose 7-day retreat for the first time if it's possible for you. Your mind needs some time to tune into retreat and 3 days are not enough, in my opinion.