Air Asia Fined In Australia For Not Include Taxes On Website!

Sandman77

and jetstar...i flighted from australia to bali..and they forced me to buy a return ticket(sooo expensive how can they call theirselves low cost) even if i had a reservation...it was illegal..but i had no choice..because they told me "take this or we ban you"

Can you elaborate on how an airline can force you to buy any sort of ticket - one way, or return?

As a sidenote, if you look at the Qantas website to book a flight originating in Thailand, the headline price does not includes taxes, fuel surcharges etc. <deleted> coffee1.gif

Because it is not required by law in Thailand to include taxes etc in their advertising, it is required by law in Australia.

EXACTLY! Australian Consumer law is to protect the consumer, not the company.

If misleading advertising shows a price which does not include all the surcharges, fuel tax, environment tax, departure tax, then that company is liable to be fined. AirAsia got off rather cheaply. I've yet to find one of these "99 baht" flights.

For too long now airlines have been adding (later in the pricing) a fuel surcharge. Its OK for options like food and a pillow to be added later its the customers choice, but as the aircraft wont fly without fuel it should be included in the quoted price. What else will they try - surcharges if the cost of engine oil or hydraulic fluid increases??

In Australia ALL fares, hotel rates, retail goods in fact anything that is sold must show the full price straight up. The taxes, fees, surcharges etc can be listed if the retailer wants to do so.

My hate now is hotels in Asia and elsewhere which ++ or +++ taxes, service charge (what's that mean?) etc etc. On some hotel web sites the prices are shown for the" room rate" and only late in the booking process are these +++ shown and added. Show the full price FIRST should be required.

What's it got to do with Australia,Air Asia is hardly any of their business.

Wow! I wonder what made Hedgehog so prickly?

Well, AirAsia does business in Australia, has many flights per day out of the country, and therefore follows Australian law, both aviation and business law. If an aircraft or ship does not come up to safety standards, it is stopped from further travel.

If the laws of the country are not followed, they get fined. Same all over the world.

AirAsia admitted liability, and paid up.

All prices in Australia are the true price; you don't have to add the tax before you buy.

and jetstar...i flighted from australia to bali..and they forced me to buy a return ticket(sooo expensive how can they call theirselves low cost) even if i had a reservation...it was illegal..but i had no choice..because they told me "take this or we ban you"

Can you elaborate on how an airline can force you to buy any sort of ticket - one way, or return?

As a sidenote, if you look at the Qantas website to book a flight originating in Thailand, the headline price does not includes taxes, fuel surcharges etc. <deleted> coffee1.gif

Like laws all over the world, its the law in the Country your in/operating in thats the law that count. All laws should operate in a way to give all an even playing field in commerce and especially in advertising. Edited by paymaster

yes.i had one way tiket with jetstar from australia to bali..at the airport they ask me "where is your return ticket?we cant allow you to go to indonesia without a return ticket"

i said "i have a return ticket booked online"

they said "gimme a proof"

i said "give me internet"

she said "dont waste my time,buy a return tiket now with us or i will ban you from the flight,and i will put your name in our red list so u will not be able to fly with us anymore"

i said "ok i buy a return ticket with you because i MUST go to indonesia,so i have no choice"

I always print out my internet bookings, so I will have proof like you were asked to provide, Kaobang.

Australia is a leading country in the fight to protect consumers from false or misleading advertising and ripp-offs!