Chinese Buffet Soi Lengkee 299B

BlackPuddingBertha

I s that all you could/can eat?

I think that's the definition of "buffet" here. I would be pretty annoyed if anyone tried to stop me getting more at one anyway!

I doesn't seem entirely clear yet whether this is going to be a buffet table style operation or a "Thai style" buffet where you are free to order all you like from the buffet menu (cooked to order). I prefer the former.

I doesn't seem entirely clear yet whether this is going to be a buffet table style operation or a "Thai style" buffet where you are free to order all you like from the buffet menu (cooked to order). I prefer the former.

I agree. Ordering dishes "blind" is fine if there are 15 of you at the table, but for just one or two people you dont really get the chance to taste (or see) many different things when ordering by the plate.

The sign outside indicated that today it isnt open until 6 anyway, so I had no chance of looking to see what it was about.

I s that all you could/can eat?

I think that's the definition of "buffet" here. I would be pretty annoyed if anyone tried to stop me getting more at one anyway!

It is buffet table style, not cooked to order. The owner said on another forum that he plans to offer the buffet all year. Credit goes to BobbyT from the other forum for the pictures.

post-140839-0-61480800-1356003123_thumb.post-140839-0-91958200-1356003134_thumb.post-140839-0-00028200-1356003157_thumb.post-140839-0-97709600-1356003184_thumb.post-140839-0-53159900-1356003204_thumb.

OK, don't get overly excited. Make sure you are sitting down. I tried the BUFFET and I am prepared to comment on it!

General impression:

It is the only Western Chinese (or any Chinese) buffet in town, so there is no competition. So if you want a Chinese buffet, it's China Garden, or nowhere. This buffet would NOT be competitive in price, flavor, quality, and value in cities I know in the USA. But we're here. In the context of THIS market, I think it does compete and is worth at least one visit, and you will likely come again, but probably not very often.

Also, I think they've got some work to do on presenting the steam table. They've got lots of metal serving spoons sitting around but there is NO way of knowing which spoon goes with which dish, so they're getting all mixed up, with drippings from different dishes going into each other. Lovely. Also not all the covered items are labeled. If you don't figure out to do some exploring yourself opening up mystery trays, you might miss some dishes.

Pork is the dominant meat. No problem with that. Pork is big in Chinese food and the pork is decent in Thailand.

A number of the dishes feel like almost the same dish, ingredients-wise, with a different sauce treatment.

They use lots of fresh shiitake mushrooms. No problem with that. I like them and they are cheap in Thailand, so why not? Also lots of bamboo shoots. Again no problem for me, I like bamboo shoots.

In general, the food sitting in the steam table means the meat got badly overcooked. Most noticeably in the duck and even worse with the shrimp. Most of the shrimp was literally falling apart and almost inedible Probably started with frozen shrimp but the shrimp in general was a low-light.

Nothing seemed to be rotten! (Yippee, that's one star Pattaya style.)

They have exactly the SAME dishes everyday. One big reason I doubt many people will want to eat there very often.

Here is the breakdown of the dishes. I tried most of them. (Don't be too shocked.)

Szechuan Soup: A Thai version of Chinese soup. It was actually very pepper hot using Thai red chilies. I liked the heat. Not impressed with the flavor experience as not Chinese really. Was that MSG I detected? coffee1.gif

Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup: Did not try

BBQ Spare Ribs: Not bad! Meaty too. Nice flavor.

King Do Spare Ribs: Also not bad. Some kind of gloppy sweet sauce but different texture than the BBQ ribs.

Crispy Spring Rolls: Sub-par. Waste of stomach space.

Special Chop Suey: As you'd expect. Water chestnuts bring back childhood American Chinese food memories so I liked the water chestnuts. Not enough bean sprouts.

Lemon Chicken: This is presented as a scary looking chicken schnitzel on the steam table, if you want the dish tell the waitress and they will take it to the kitchen and put some lemon sugar sauce on it, don't you know? Didn't try. Wouldn't try.

Sweet & Sour Pork: Not the fried pork nugget version but rather red BBQ pork strips. Sauce all sugar, no sour. Fresh pineapple. I liked the meat which I picked out. Fans of traditional western sweet/sour will NOT be happy.

Singapore Noodles: These are thin rice noodles fried in curry powder with some meat and veg. Decent! My main starch for the meal.

Chow Mein: Less than special, less than average.

Egg Fried Rice: Surprisingly neutral, not overly greasy. While no plain rice was offered, this will do, no need to order plain rice.

Beef in Oyster Sauce: Traditionally atrocious tough Thai beef

Chinese Chicken Curry: Stirring this in the steam table the thickening agent was radically coagulating; I couldn't bring myself to actually serve myself any of it based on this appearance

Shredded Crispy Beef: This is presented as cold thin fried breaded strips of whatever, if you desire the dish as I did, the waitress takes it to be prepared in the kitchen. What came back was VERY COLD strips bathed in red SUGAR sauce, no other flavor, the taste of those cold strips was insipid beyond description, what are they thinking?

Roast Duck w/ Spring Onions & Ginger: Plenty of meaty sliced duck so that's a value dish for the customer; too bad the duck was very much OVERCOOKED

Chinese Roast Pork in Black Bean Sauce: As expected, the sauce was black, but no tastes of Chinese black beans at all (Oh well!)

Shrimp Toast: Not tried

Chicken Sate / Sauce: Took a bite. Very dry. The peanut sauce was appalling.

Believe it or not: I would go back. There is enough offered that I like well enough that makes it work well enough for me. I do NOT think China Garden is a good value on their a la carte menu, but for this deal, with the variety offered, to me it's acceptable (in this market).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Why are restaurants owners so thick headed? Given the review by Jingting, I will not come close to the place. There are very positive models (all over the USA) for owners who want to open a Western-style Chinese place. And the recipes are out there. Over here, you have many vegetables and decent chicken and pork (beef is another issue)--most of the ingredients you need can be found in the Chinatown market in Bangkok. Hello! Wake up! We really do need at least one Western-style Chinese food place over here and clearly we do not yet have even one.

• Like 1

Nice, detailed review JT and even though I figure you are way more pickier then me with food and you would go back it has turned me off from wanting to try it. I am not really an all you can eat buffet fan anyway, I don't like other customers having access to the food I will be putting in my mouth and I like my food cooked fresh to order.

@Jayman China Garden is on Soi Lengkee off Soi Buakow or 3rd road. Same Soi as the Jolly Friar, Lonestar, Devonshire.

• Like 1

Nice, detailed review JT and even though I figure you are way more pickier then me with food and you would go back it has turned me off from wanting to try it. I am not really an all you can eat buffet fan anyway, I don't like other customers having access to the food I will be putting in my mouth and I like my food cooked fresh to order.

@Jayman China Garden is on Soi Lengkee off Soi Buakow or 3rd road. Same Soi as the Jolly Friar, Lonestar, Devonshire.

Fully agree if you want cheap reheated food then go for all you can eat buffets . Want fresh cooked food and aren't a cheap Charlie try al a carte .... You gets what you pay for end off no matter how many hi so reviewers say a buffet should be good, its lazy cheap eating.

Fully agree if you want cheap reheated food then go for all you can eat buffets . Want fresh cooked food and aren't a cheap Charlie try al a carte .... You gets what you pay for end off no matter how many hi so reviewers say a buffet should be good, its lazy cheap eating.

I find the exception to this being the Hilton Buffet where much of the food is cooked to order.

• Like 2

I find the exception to this being the Hilton Buffet where much of the food is cooked to order.

I fully agree but wouldn't class The Hilton as cheap Charlie .

Edited by RabC

I fully agree but wouldn't class The Hilton as cheap Charlie .

Well, it's only about 380thb per person including vat and service. Some of these other offerings being discussed are not far off.

Just trying to keep it in perspective.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

Well, it's only about 380thb per person including vat and service. Some of these other offerings being discussed are not far off.

I understand what you are saying, but look at the venue and ambiance and they are trying to market something different to standard all you can eat buffet (Canteen) food. I know its been discussed before but I really believe buffets like this in real 5 Star venues are loss leaders, however that's only my opinion.

I understand what you are saying, but look at the venue and ambiance and they are trying to market something different to standard all you can eat buffet (Canteen) food. I know its been discussed before but I really believe buffets like this in real 5 Star venues are loss leaders, however that's only my opinion.

You could very well be correct in your assumption. In any case, I'm happy paying the 380thb for well prepared food and I'm glad it's on offer 7 days a week.

Not going to comment on a grand philosophical debate on the merits of buffets vs. a la carte but I will say in my life I have generally preferred Chinese a la carte, but some foods like INDIAN I think buffets are fantastic. In regards to China Garden, the restaurant THIS thread is about, I have dined at this place about four times (in their earlier days) a la carte and then got frustrated with the place. For example once I ordered the Singapore Noodles and not only was the portion very small, and the price too high for what it was, in my view their buffet table version was actually better! So basically ... it depends. I think a lot of people might think the China Garden buffet is OK enough to eat at occasionally. Expats anyway in this captive audience market which objectively is a poor city for Chinese food lovers. If someone says it it the best Chinese food they ever had, I would feel pity for them though. Not sure short term tourists who can get much better where they come from would be wise to eat there though.

Edited by Jingthing

Why would anyone crave chinese food living in Thailand ? I mean food looks kinda same, pork, chicken, veggies, seafood, tons of weird sauces all fried or cooked in a ton of oil served with rice :whistling:

Thanks for the review but I would rather go to the hilton lunch buffet for the same price to get a falang food fix. It won't happen soon anyways as I don't eat seafood and feel it's such a big cost factor in all those buffet place that I would end up paying for the other guests shrimp & co

Edited by yoslim

Why would anyone crave chinese food living in Thailand ? I mean food looks kinda same, pork, chicken, veggies, seafood, tons of weird sauces all fried or cooked in a ton of oil served with rice whistling.gif

Thanks for the review but I would rather go to the hilton lunch buffet for the same price to get a falang food fix. It won't happen soon anyways as I don't eat seafood and feel it's such a big cost factor in all those buffet place that I would end up paying for the other guests shrimp & co

Your question doesn't compute with me. I've been eating Chinese food all my life. I used to live in a city with world class Chinese food where I got to the point where Chinese people were pointing at MY table to tell the waiter what to order (true story!). Why wouldn't people who love Chinese food crave it anywhere they live, whether they can get it or not? Of course if I thought Chinese food was what you think it is, I guess I'd understand your POV.

On top of that, Chinese food is part of my holiday traditions!

post-37101-0-18003200-1356361222_thumb.g

post-37101-0-75677400-1356361384_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Why would anyone crave chinese food living in Thailand ? I mean food looks kinda same, pork, chicken, veggies, seafood, tons of weird sauces all fried or cooked in a ton of oil served with rice whistling.gif

Your question doesn't compute with me. I've been eating Chinese food all my life. I used to live in a city with world class Chinese food where I got to the point where Chinese people were pointing at MY table to tell the waiter what to order (true story!). Why wouldn't people who love Chinese food crave it anywhere they live, whether they can get it or not? Of course if I thought Chinese food was what you think it is, I guess I'd understand your POV.

On top of that, Chinese food is part of my holiday traditions!

post-37101-0-18003200-1356361222_thumb.g

post-37101-0-75677400-1356361384_thumb.j

I tend to agree that it just wouldn't be a very traditional xmas for me without a good Chinese meal.

@Yoslim.. the buffet at Hilton has a different theme everyday and on Friday is the sea food day and you'll be happy to know the price is a bit higher on that day.

Edited by Jayman