Business Advise, Recommandations & Possable Partner

aussiesuisse

Hi all,

As the heading says, Im looking for business advise like the do', dont's & be carefull's, recommandations on lawyer & acconuntants & possible partner in manufacturing.

I'm interested in comments from people who have or had a business in Thailand and more so the ones without a Thai wife/partner. As I will be 100% forgien owned the rules are very different to having 51% or more Thai owned.

Im living in Cambodia now and happy to stay here as its very easy for visa etc. This business is not a reason to live in Thailand yet it is by far the best place to do business in the region with low labour cost (ref. Doing Business by the World Bank) + best infastructure & least corruption. I've looked at Cambodia & the Phillippines and the corruption in the ports alone is enough to NO.

Lawyer & accountant - I understand I need to be carefull who I choose in this profession, I've been recommanded to a lawyer at a high cost & may use him for the lease review and when the scamming starts, yet would I need him for the simple stuff like business registration, import/export licence etc? (business start-up) I found 1 firm in BKK that say they can handle everything and that seems ideal, yet I would rather recommandations.

The business - My product is thermaly insulated aluminium profiles for double & triple glazed sliding glass. Energy saving & minimum frame. This is for the higher end market and sales directed to the western market where its cold or high energy bills like Australia. No sales in Thailand therefore 100% export & 100% forgien owned & 100% legal.

The manufacture business is simply import the materials, store, assemble, manufacture & export.

Partner - Im trying to avoid this at all cost as trust can be very dangerous in any country, yet my challenge is I will need to spend a lot of time abroard either marketing or training manufacture & installation. So I can only imagine what wont get done when im not there, then there is QA and dealing with Gov regulations. How can I deal with this when Im never there. Considering the ponetial profit to be made when sales increase the capital investment is quite small, I can cover this myself yet the best motivation to susceed is often the $$$. I guess Im saying its probaly less then buying a bar and far greater chance of success and profit.

Im not sure how much Im allowed to say here so any interest please PM me, other then that any feedback would be great.

you need to do a lot of homework and read, read, read.

Unless your acitvity is BOI approved or you are a US citizen, you cannot own 100% of the business.

And BOI approval can only be obtained if you do no business is Thailand other than running a cost center / exporting everything.

But the BOI made exceptions, for example for very large Japanese companies.

For what you describe, I would suggest:

- check if the proposed activity can be BOI-promoted (I guess it can't)

- take a reliable Thai (nominee) partner on board (ideally an attorney that is a member of the bar and convinced about your project)

- if you plan on often spending time abroad, you will also need a trusted western partner to run the daily stuff while you are away. Thai staff usually isn't very autonomous and doesn't take initiatives, so you need someone to handle the daily flow of micro decisions and keep an eye on the staff.

- work permits: you will need one, as will your western manager. plan on 2 million THB capital per work permit and 4 Thai staff per work permit.

Would you like to chat?

I got a Thai company and am currently in Zurich

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

Don't use a Thai law firm [ my experience ] go to a business accountant, seem to be much better at sorting things out. general rule if you are not there things will not be done. Step carefully.

As per PM, I am not going any where, come and look if the other options don't pan out. Jim