Looking For Smart Phone

hellodolly

Does any one know of a shop that has smart phones with an English speaking sales person that can explain them to me. Would love the best but really only looking for one that will not break the bank.

Being tech challenged here in Thailand with rudimentary Thai speaking skills makes it hard to purchase electronic equipment.

For what it's worth, I just got a new iPhone 5 last week and love it. I was able to find more than enough YouTube videos to teach me the basics, and some down-loadable 'Idiot's Guides,' 'Everything you ever wanted to know' guides, etc. in English to make it really simple to use. It's nice to be able to lift the phone to my mouth and say ('say,' not type) 'Siri, how do I get from here to the main bus terminal?' and hear her answer, "Just a minute... let me look that up for you... Here's a map showing where you are and the path to walk to get to the terminal. It's 1.7km away from you and will take you about 15 minutes to get there." I've loaded 2,000 songs into it, several books, get the New York Times delivered daily, read CNN, watch live news, find my way around town, get local weather, handy camera that takes excellent quality photos, ask for any information I normally would look up on my home computer, and even use it as a telephone, But perhaps the most useful feature for 'me' is the translator. I can either type in the words or speak them, and it will instantly translate into my choice of languages, Thai included... "Sir, do you sell red and blue left-handed widgets?" and there it is in the language I need... That alone made it worth its weight in gold!

But to make life easier, I can also say "Siri, call my wife" and she will start the telephone app, connect with my wife (I did have to first tell her who that was in the set-up) and put the call through. If you were on my contact list I could say "call HelloDolly" and she'd connect me to you. It's <deleted>#kin amazing!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

For the most user friendly experience, I would definitely recommend the iPhone. If a new iPhone 5 is out of range of your budget, there are some good deals to be had on second hand iPhone 4S's at the moment.

As for a reputable shop, I would recommend the iStudio shop and Central Airport Plaza. I believe some of the employees speak English and you can try out the iPhones they have out on display. If there is something the shop workers can't show you how to do, just grab the nearest

12 year old little kid. They will also be as tech proficient as the shop people wink.png

If you do decide to buy one, I would suggest writing down all your email settings (except the password) and let them configure that for you in the store. I'm sure they will be happy to help and will just pass the phone back to you on the password input screen. Also, if you are on a laptop (vs a desktop PC), I would suggest taking your laptop in and letting them install iTunes for you and setup the initial sync. If you are on a desktop, don't worry it's a fairly simple task.

My 60 year old mother back in the states gets along quite well with her iPhone. And having iMessage is really a blessing as it allows us to send free international SMS's to keep in touch near real time.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

-Mestizo

I think Jaymart upstairs in the Airport Plaza has some workers that speak decent English.

Their prices for cash sales are usually better than others.

Lastly they configure your phone if you want & also for those in & out of Thailand they offer

VAT refund paperwork.

As for which phone it is ultimately up to you but I would not recommend Iphone myself.

We have both of the most popular types.

Iphone & Samsung Galaxy types.

If you use a computer & would like simple transfers of music, pictures you took with your phone, free software etc.

Stay away from Apple & their whole Itunes owns your phone method of half ownership.

Really sorry to be so blunt & do not want to cause an Apple/Android debate as I said we

own both & have for years, It is my opinion based on that & that is all it is wink.png

but you said your tech challenged so why bother having to deal with a

intermediary software every time you want to do something from your PC to your phone?

Get a Android based phone & just plug it into your PC.

Your PC will see it & so will you

If you buy a smart phone you will probably want to transfer pics etc from it to your computer etc.

Would love the best but really only looking for one that will not break the bank.

Something like a Galaxy Cooper or ace would really be more than enough for you.

7000 baht tops

http://www.jaymart.c...iewPro.asp?7635

mobile_large_SScoper.jpg

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

A few weeks ago I was looking for a smartphone too. Al shops have the same brands and the same prices. Some will give you a little dicount but that's it, prices are not really low here.

Surfing on internet I found the best deals and many choises. If you want an Iphone second hand, you can find it everywhere.

My choise is a Chinese Smartphone, with Android 4. China? you may ask, indeed, the quality improved very fast and will be better and better and prices are low. In a couple of years there are only Chinese brand Smartphones (in fact they are all made in China already.) Another point not to spend to much money is that the developing goes faster and faster, in two/three years the technology will be improved completely and networks etc. have to improve with this developing.

If you buy in CM, the advice from mania is a good one.

Edited by Joop50

Another point not to spend to much money is that the developing goes faster and faster, in two/three years the technology will be improved completely and networks etc. have to improve with this developing.

For the same reason, my advice is to get something the latest so that you will be able to keep it for at least the next 2 launches.

I just bought a Samsung S Duos yesterday from IT City at Airport Plaza, cost me 9,500 discounted from 9,900. It's the best duo SIM phone right now in the market. The phone is pretty much identical to Samsung Galaxy S3. Really convenient if you need to manage 2 SIM cards. A cheaper version would be the Samsung Y Duos or the Samsung Ace.

I think Jaymart upstairs in the Airport Plaza has some workers that speak decent English.

Their prices for cash sales are usually better than others.

And not just cash sales; when buying on a (Thai) credit card you can pay over 10 months, interest free. The big Samsung shop across from the larger Jaymart store at Airport Plaza has the same offer. (Actually I get the feeling that this Samsung ship is operated by Jaymart.) This is all in the new wing of course, the one that has the aquarium on the ground floor.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'd vote for Samsung as well; one main reason is that your about to find out about apps, and while most of the good ones on iPhone cost you money, on Android they are mostly free.

Also, frankly the iphone 5 looks really ugly and has a weird little shape.

I'd also give a big thumbs up to the new Windows 8 phones, they are very easy to learn and use, and you have a choice of Samsung, Nokia and others.

I would suggest you google "Windows Smartphone Reviews (or buyers guide) and do some reading. Also agree with Youtube reviews, a nice way to see them in action.

I'd vote for Samsung as well; one main reason is that your about to find out about apps, and while most of the good ones on iPhone cost you money, on Android they are mostly free.

Also, frankly the iphone 5 looks really ugly and has a weird little shape.

I'd also give a big thumbs up to the new Windows 8 phones, they are very easy to learn and use, and you have a choice of Samsung, Nokia and others.

I would suggest you google "Windows Smartphone Reviews (or buyers guide) and do some reading. Also agree with Youtube reviews, a nice way to see them in action.

You vote Samsung or Android.

Samsung's medium price range are a bit staid. Many others available for less money and the same or similar spec.

sent from my Q6

I am presently pontificating also about new smart phones or galaxy 7 inch pad...or both.

Still have a traditional nokia phone but as we get older, I cant read sms messages any more, and as for writing them, if i dont have my specs with me, well i just guess. In this sunlight not often you can see the screen either.

so, do these new phones (hand held) which really I want for the stock trading apps, have the ability to make the fonts bigger or is it specs from now onsad.png

• Like 1

Another point not to spend to much money is that the developing goes faster and faster, in two/three years the technology will be improved completely and networks etc. have to improve with this developing.

For the same reason, my advice is to get something the latest so that you will be able to keep it for at least the next 2 launches.

I just bought a Samsung S Duos yesterday from IT City at Airport Plaza, cost me 9,500 discounted from 9,900. It's the best duo SIM phone right now in the market. The phone is pretty much identical to Samsung Galaxy S3. Really convenient if you need to manage 2 SIM cards. A cheaper version would be the Samsung Y Duos or the Samsung Ace.

What about the I-mobile IQ5 and IQ2, about 6,500bht ........ bigger screens than the Samsungs, both dual SIM.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

For what it's worth I suggest an I-mobile Q4. 4"screen. Android 4 (ICS) 2 Sims (if you want) and a 2200 mah battery. But still being fairly small and light (galaxy s size)

Ohh and the best bit 4995b

sent from my Q6

Well maybe I got a lemon, but my experience with iMobile prompts me to warn you to take care. Mine went back to the shop no less than 8 times and despite replacing the entire phone once it never functioned properly. Poor hard and firmware, random shut downs and re-boots, phantom calls, missed calls - the agony was never ending. Finally saw the light, gave the phone to my son who uses it for games and bought a Samsung.

The service centre was always helpful but their lack of surprise at this catalogue of woe leads me to suspect that my saga wasn't unusual.

Edited by Greenside

For what it's worth I suggest an I-mobile Q4. 4"screen. Android 4 (ICS) 2 Sims (if you want) and a 2200 mah battery. But still being fairly small and light (galaxy s size)

sent from my Q6

Well maybe I got a lemon, but my experience with iMobile prompts me to warn you to take care. Mine went back to the shop no less than 8 times and despite replacing the entire phone once it never functioned properly. Poor hard and firmware, random shut downs and re-boots, phantom calls, missed calls - the agony was never ending. Finally saw the light, gave the phone to my son who uses it for games and bought a Samsung.

The service centre was always helpful but their lack of surprise at this catalogue of woe leads me to suspect that my saga wasn't unusual.

When? What phone? More complete information please.

I-mobile like a few companies had problems a few years ago. The new i-style Q and IQ range are based on the newer Mediatek chip.

I have a Q6 and my Gf has a Q4 both good phones. I-mobile have an Android I-mobile fan club on Facebook that you can give feedback on.

Note the Q6 needs the V9 software upgrade. The screen is TO RESPONSIVE with V8.

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

I-mobile like a few companies had problems a few years ago. The new i-style Q and IQ range are based on the newer Mediatek chip.

I have a Q6 and my Gf has a Q4 both good phones. I-mobile have an Android I-mobile fan club on Facebook that you can give feedback on.

sent from my Q6

i691 was the model I believe, and I'm talking about my experiences over the last 18 months (but it seemed much, much longer).

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

i691 was the model I believe, and I'm talking about my experiences over the last 18 months (but it seemed much, much longer).

Yes. That was the previous to the new range. I believe all was eventually sorted at firmware 22 :D

I can honestly say we are very happy with ours. Especially the Q4. My gf had a Samsung galaxy SL before. Slow camera. Processor. Smallish battery etc. She is chuffed with the new Q4. Everything the Samsung wasn't for half the price :P

sent from my Q6

Edited by thaicbr

Yes. That was the previous to the new range. I believe all was eventually sorted at firmware 22 biggrin.png

I can honestly say we are very happy with ours. Especially the Q4. My gf had a Samsung galaxy so before. Slow camera. Processor. Smallish battery etc. She is chuffed with the new Q4. Everything the Samsung wasn't for half the price tongue.png

sent from my Q6

Well, if that was the case why, I wonder didn't they offer to replace my phone with one that would actually work properly. I asked if they would swap it for one of the loaners and the answer was no, even though it was an older and cheaper model. Anyway, enough. You like them, Firmware 22 came along way too late for me and I wouldn't go there ever again...

For independant and good reviews of electronics, tech stuff, I recommend www.cnet.com or the Asian site asia.cnet.com

There are helpful buying guides, the good and bad of products etc. The reviewers really know their stuff and they are not funded by nor biased toward particular brands.

I would check out such websites first. Then go to retail outlets to buy.

Personally I would not seek advice and recommendations from sales staff at shops.

• Like 2

I am presently pontificating also about new smart phones or galaxy 7 inch pad...or both.

Still have a traditional nokia phone but as we get older, I cant read sms messages any more, and as for writing them, if i dont have my specs with me, well i just guess. In this sunlight not often you can see the screen either.

so, do these new phones (hand held) which really I want for the stock trading apps, have the ability to make the fonts bigger or is it specs from now onsad.png

I wonder if the screens are readable in the sunshine like the Amazon readers.

lg 4x hd. quad core tegra 3 chip, ips and over 300 ppi 4.7" lcd, sony rear camera sensor. expendable memory and removable batt.

As I said I am Tech challenged I don't even know what that is. That is why I was looking for a salesperson who could speak good English.

A friend of mine has a I5 with 64 gigs he said he could teach me in ten minutes another friend who has watched me struggle with my PC and Camera adjustments just laughed and said he dosen't know what he is getting into.

lg 4x hd. quad core tegra 3 chip, ips and over 300 ppi 4.7" lcd, sony rear camera sensor. expendable memory and removable batt.

As I said I am Tech challenged I don't even know what that is. That is why I was looking for a salesperson who could speak good English.

A friend of mine has a I5 with 64 gigs he said he could teach me in ten minutes another friend who has watched me struggle with my PC and Camera adjustments just laughed and said he dosen't know what he is getting into.

like the man said before go onto c.net and read up...i just did and i,m tech challenged as well

take your time and go over the reviews to at least get a basic idea of whats going on

as for breaking the bank it seems to be around the $400-500 for a decent one but there again depends what you want it for

i,m also confused by the more that is on offer the more i get confused haha

think i,ll stick to communicating with people directly

like the man said before go onto c.net and read up...i just did and i,m tech challenged as well

take your time and go over the reviews to at least get a basic idea of whats going on

as for breaking the bank it seems to be around the $400-500 for a decent one but there again depends what you want it for

i,m also confused by the more that is on offer the more i get confused haha

think i,ll stick to communicating with people directly

That was kind of the3 price I was hoping for. I would like one with the big screen for old eyes like the samsung at 22,000 baht. But that is a b it more than I want to spend, I talkeed to the people at the studio and there English was good enough for some one who understands tech but I was a complete puzzle to them. I think my best bet would be like one poster suggested grab a 12 year old kid who could speak real good English.

Think I will try the Jaymart.

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900.

the rest of the phones are just with 2 core processor or a single core, lower resolution screen. not that they couldnt get the job done though

but since you have even issues on cameras . . i suggest giving android phones a skip. look at the older iphone4 or iphone 4s. they are sufficient enough for most games and application and the user interface is really really simple.

For what it's worth, I just got a new iPhone 5 last week and love it. I was able to find more than enough YouTube videos to teach me the basics, and some down-loadable 'Idiot's Guides,' 'Everything you ever wanted to know' guides, etc. in English to make it really simple to use. It's nice to be able to lift the phone to my mouth and say ('say,' not type) 'Siri, how do I get from here to the main bus terminal?' and hear her answer, "Just a minute... let me look that up for you... Here's a map showing where you are and the path to walk to get to the terminal. It's 1.7km away from you and will take you about 15 minutes to get there." I've loaded 2,000 songs into it, several books, get the New York Times delivered daily, read CNN, watch live news, find my way around town, get local weather, handy camera that takes excellent quality photos, ask for any information I normally would look up on my home computer, and even use it as a telephone, But perhaps the most useful feature for 'me' is the translator. I can either type in the words or speak them, and it will instantly translate into my choice of languages, Thai included... "Sir, do you sell red and blue left-handed widgets?" and there it is in the language I need... That alone made it worth its weight in gold!

But to make life easier, I can also say "Siri, call my wife" and she will start the telephone app, connect with my wife (I did have to first tell her who that was in the set-up) and put the call through. If you were on my contact list I could say "call HelloDolly" and she'd connect me to you. It's <deleted>#kin amazing!

sounds great and having an instant translater is amazing.

where did you buy it and what was the cost if you dont mind me asking

cheers

sounds great and having an instant translater is amazing.

where did you buy it and what was the cost if you dont mind me asking

cheers

When I use the translator, I can only envision half the Sci-Fi movies I used to see, where someone would hang a 'translator' around their neck and go talk with aliens. Now I'm the alien using it to talk with locals! They can speak into it to, and convert their language to English. There seems to be about 100 different languages in there!

I didn't buy it in Thailand, but all of the iPhone 5 can have this feature. I believe the iPhone 4s can do so to.

I was very surprised to discover that I didn't have to 'train' the "Siri" program for my voice or language. The only thing I had to do for that was tell it my wife's name (or who ever I wanted it to call using something other than the name in the contact list.) I just spoke to it in English and it worked. My friend spoke to it in Japanese and it worked. Another friend spoke to it in German and it worked. Nothing done to make changes. It just works!

all good stuff guys but dont think anyone has mentioned the SIM card payment scenario/contract.

Is it fair to say that the pay as you go 1-2-call cards are now useless becasue of their drain on internet time.

So all the new phones that have internet connectivity, basically you have to set up with a new card and also pay on a monthly contract?

And for those people who are not permanent residents here is a contract a massive problem?

Its ok getting a good deal on the phone but if they try to sell an expensive contract with it, then its not that good a deal.

Anyone else here feel so incompetent about everyday life??

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900.

the rest of the phones are just with 2 core processor or a single core, lower resolution screen. not that they couldnt get the job done though

but since you have even issues on cameras . . i suggest giving android phones a skip. look at the older iphone4 or iphone 4s. they are sufficient enough for most games and application and the user interface is really really simple.

Which phone is this one and where would one look at it. I like the large screen. I have looked at the Samsung with the large screen and 16gigs and the Iphone with up to 64 gigs but a smaller screen. Both a little out iof the range I was looking at.

"

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900."