Looking For Smart Phone

hellodolly

lg 4x hd. quad core tegra 3 chip, ips and over 300 ppi 4.7" lcd, sony rear camera sensor. expendable memory and removable batt.

As I said I am Tech challenged I don't even know what that is. That is why I was looking for a salesperson who could speak good English.

A friend of mine has a I5 with 64 gigs he said he could teach me in ten minutes another friend who has watched me struggle with my PC and Camera adjustments just laughed and said he dosen't know what he is getting into.

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900.

the rest of the phones are just with 2 core processor or a single core, lower resolution screen. not that they couldnt get the job done though

but since you have even issues on cameras . . i suggest giving android phones a skip. look at the older iphone4 or iphone 4s. they are sufficient enough for most games and application and the user interface is really really simple.

Which phone is this one and where would one look at it. I like the large screen. I have looked at the Samsung with the large screen and 16gigs and the Iphone with up to 64 gigs but a smaller screen. Both a little out iof the range I was looking at.

"

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900."

its LG optimus 4x hd. its at 16900, some shops are going for 15900. since s3, iphone is alittle above your budget, i might think the LG might be just within your range. You might try the LG shops, Jaymart in central airport.

sgmshloneinline.jpg

above at the top phones with 4 core processors.

benchmark test results (basically the higher score its better)

Benchmarks-S3-vs-4X-HD.jpg

i been looking afew reviews and basically its in between s3 and one x. imo a great phone for its price

but really i might think the iphone would be a better choice for you, its way easier to use. if im not wrong, the iphone 4s 16gb is well below 20k range. and currently, everything runs in iphone 4s. besides the iphone 4s resolution seems more logical than the slightly longer with same width size screen in iphone 5

Edited by barefoot1988

lg 4x hd. quad core tegra 3 chip, ips and over 300 ppi 4.7" lcd, sony rear camera sensor. expendable memory and removable batt.

As I said I am Tech challenged I don't even know what that is. That is why I was looking for a salesperson who could speak good English.

A friend of mine has a I5 with 64 gigs he said he could teach me in ten minutes another friend who has watched me struggle with my PC and Camera adjustments just laughed and said he dosen't know what he is getting into.

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900.

the rest of the phones are just with 2 core processor or a single core, lower resolution screen. not that they couldnt get the job done though

but since you have even issues on cameras . . i suggest giving android phones a skip. look at the older iphone4 or iphone 4s. they are sufficient enough for most games and application and the user interface is really really simple.

Which phone is this one and where would one look at it. I like the large screen. I have looked at the Samsung with the large screen and 16gigs and the Iphone with up to 64 gigs but a smaller screen. Both a little out iof the range I was looking at.

"

hmm, since you wanted the best without breaking bank i suggested lg 4x hd. basically what you get is a phone with 4 core processor (similar to galaxy s3, note 2, htc one x, google nexus 4) and a top quality notch large screen at 16900."

How will your smartphone use be? A dual core processor is good enough for normal use incl. internet. 1 gb ram memory is more important. Also be aware you have to load a smartphone every night.

"

its LG optimus 4x hd. its at 16900, some shops are going for 15900. since s3, iphone is alittle above your budget, i might think the LG might be just within your range. You might try the LG shops, Jaymart in central airport.

sgmshloneinline.jpg

above at the top phones with 4 core processors.

benchmark test results (basically the higher score its better)

Benchmarks-S3-vs-4X-HD.jpg

i been looking afew reviews and basically its in between s3 and one x. imo a great phone for its price

but really i might think the iphone would be a better choice for you, its way easier to use. if im not wrong, the iphone 4s 16gb is well below 20k range. and currently, everything runs in iphone 4s. besides the iphone 4s resolution seems more logical than the slightly longer with same width size screen in iphone 5

Thank you. I was going to take a look at Jaymart. Never occurred to me to ask if they had an I phone 4 for sale. Have a bit of a dislike for buying used electronics,

Not certain of your needs and don't have time to read all of the postings. My basic comment is that I have vistee a stand in Kad Suan Keau on the 3rd floor, near the rear escalator. Come up and turn left and walk to the 3rd stand o the left. It is owned by an attractive lady in her early 40' and she speaks excellent English. And can get repairs speedily at the local shops around her. She has or can get used or new phones -- either she has it or will quickly produce it. Sorry I don't have her card at my fingertips so if additional info is needed, let me know.

I have visited her shop for several years. 1st with my 15 year old Nokia which was in use until March of this year when I bought a Samsung Note GT-N7000 from her. This phone has been a complete disaster, hence I don' recommend Samsung. Their service is only a few blocks away and is called Samsung Care. I call it Samsung Care Less. Most of my friends have changed over to Iphone and think they're the greatest. I bought the Note because of it's size and it fits in my shirt pocket (and I have a button hole with a cord to the phone so it can't be dropped or ripped off without tearing my shirt off my back!) The Note's camera is not the greatest, but OK if you edit pics on a computer with the program of your choice and aren't too fussy. I still enjoy the large screen and the battery lasts for a full day -- about 12 hours of light usage, but I have a spare charger and batteries and can charge most anywhere I sit own. The Note 2 just came out which I believe is the same firmware, only it's a bit larger and perhaps with some other changes.

All being said I would definitely check out a NEW IPhone -- none of these are particularly cheap, so check out the prices in a few shops -- you'll probably only find a variation of perhaps 500bt or perhaps you'll do better than that.

all good stuff guys but dont think anyone has mentioned the SIM card payment scenario/contract.

Is it fair to say that the pay as you go 1-2-call cards are now useless becasue of their drain on internet time.

So all the new phones that have internet connectivity, basically you have to set up with a new card and also pay on a monthly contract?

And for those people who are not permanent residents here is a contract a massive problem?

Its ok getting a good deal on the phone but if they try to sell an expensive contract with it, then its not that good a deal.

Anyone else here feel so incompetent about everyday life??

You can just keep your pay as you go sim and do a data add-on. See here: http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

I do the 30 days with 75mb for 99 baht. Over a month the little push notifications and mail checks etc. use less than 20mb. I mostly use wifi so this works great for me. Without doing this all of the phone's requests or tiny bits of data cost me 150Baht in one day - without me onsciously using the internet at all...

You can also just turn off cellular data on the iPhone but I like the convenience of a small amount of data connectivity for when I am away from wifi.

Also be aware you have to load a smartphone every night.

Load it with what every night? I recharge my iPhone every 2-3 days, when it's down to about 30%-40% charge. There are dozens of energy-wasting things going on unless you go into the Settings menu and turn them off. YouTube has quite a few videos that give tips for battery saving, but probably the biggest one I've found is turning off the background apps once a day. If you double tap the main button it brings up a string of apps at the bottom, just about everything you've used previously. All of those are eating up power. If you hold your finger on one of them, little red circles will begin to wiggle next to them. Touch the circle to shut down the app. The first time I did this, I must have had 150 of them running and was recharging my phone twice a day... With daily removal, and shutting down unneeded notifications, etc., I only need to recharge every few days.

I've never been so happy with something as common as a phone before I started using iPhones. Now that I have a newer one, I find that I use it for so many different things in my daily life that I had never even considered before, making things easier and really stress-free. Pretty odd way to discribe a phone, but yeah... stress-free!

i-Tunes can be a bit of a pain when you first try to use it. It DOES 'try' to control you. But if you turn off the 'automatic' settings it's no problem any more. And once you've loaded your music, photos, books, and apps, you might never even connect to it again for six months or more. I made a charging 'dock' for my iPhone 5, as they aren't selling them yet, but with my old iPhone 3G, I just plugged the charging dock into the mains, and at night set the phone down in the dock on my bedside table when I went to bed. Hardly ever used iTunes.

Iphone, only way to go. I got an Iphone 3 a few months ago, good as gold, 7500 baht, Siam TV.

for some.. others dislike the IOS operating system.. myself included. I find Android easier to use and more widgets etc to make it even easier.

people say the battery is better on an Iphone.. don't know about that. I used a 2nd hand 4 with ios6. the battery lasted a full day of heavy use. JUST. People that say they last 2-3 days .. i gotta say do you actually use the phone?

About the same as my android phone (the android does have a bigger battery but it was about the same percentage)

the iphone hardware was nice, quality. BUT the screen was tiny, very narrow. i didnt like it.

Edited by thaicbr

Iphone, only way to go. I got an Iphone 3 a few months ago, good as gold, 7500 baht, Siam TV.

for some.. others dislike the IOS operating system.. myself included. I find Android easier to use and more widgets etc to make it even easier.

people say the battery is better on an Iphone.. don't know about that. I used a 2nd hand 4 with ios6. the battery lasted a full day of heavy use. JUST. People that say they last 2-3 days .. i gotta say do you actually use the phone?

About the same as my android phone (the android does have a bigger battery but it was about the same percentage)

the iphone hardware was nice, quality. BUT the screen was tiny, very narrow. i didnt like it.

Haven't met anyone yet that dislikes the IOS system. Most i know are making the switch to it and staying with it. Faultless.

I can't speak for others, but my normal use during average day; Bluetooth connection to my helmet speakers, with music playing as I ride - about 2-3 hours per day. My GPS is also Bluetooth connected to the phone via the Senna hub, so that's giving me updates as I ride. I check mail 2-3 times a day and reply, log into Facebook as well as two other forums at mid-day, use the translator several times a day, might use the camera once or twice, and the calculator. A few Google searches, and of course, the MentalNote for my shopping lists. If I'm eating lunch alone I'll usually either read an e-book or CNN or the New York Times. As for phone calls... no more than 3-4 a day, and usually not long chats. With that sort of usage, I used to get down to about 10% on my iPhone 3gs but now with the iPhone 5, and learning how to turn off the battery wasters, I can easily use the phone for two days without worry about the battery. But once it get's down below

30%-40% I like to top it up.

EDIT: Learning how to reduce battery waste made a MAJOR difference in my power consumption, as did rebooting the phone daily.

Edited by FolkGuitar

How about a "Feature Phone"?

Since it sounds like the OP would like to save some money, if possible, and no-one has mentioned this yet, I think it's worth considering.

Until a few months ago, I didn't know what a Feature Phone was. The majority of the phones available in the various shops around town are Feature Phones.

A Feature Phone will do most of the things a Smart Phone will do and for a lot less money. It might be a good choice, especially if you're getting into a technology you're new to.

You can browse the internet, check and send e-mails, use google maps, play games, get news and weather updates, listen to music, store your pictures and most anything else a smart phone will do. The difference being that you can only open one application at a time.

The operating system is more basic than android or the iphone and the number of add-on applications that are available are much more limited, but it may all that you'll need.

I have a regular phone no camera.

I was wondering if the smart phones receive better and if the sound is better.

I would say it's more about the phone maker rather than smart or not. I just bought a Nokia Lumia and the phone quality is bad. Yet other Nokia dumb phones have had great quality. Just your luck i guess.

How about a "Feature Phone"?

Since it sounds like the OP would like to save some money, if possible, and no-one has mentioned this yet, I think it's worth considering.

Until a few months ago, I didn't know what a Feature Phone was. The majority of the phones available in the various shops around town are Feature Phones.

A Feature Phone will do most of the things a Smart Phone will do and for a lot less money. It might be a good choice, especially if you're getting into a technology you're new to.

You can browse the internet, check and send e-mails, use google maps, play games, get news and weather updates, listen to music, store your pictures and most anything else a smart phone will do. The difference being that you can only open one application at a time.

The operating system is more basic than android or the iphone and the number of add-on applications that are available are much more limited, but it may all that you'll need.

what is a feature phone and what one did you end up with cheers

what is a feature phone and what one did you end up with cheers

It's a nicer name for any phone not considered a smartphone and not ultra-budget. That also means the type is disappearing fast, especially as for example Nokia now refers to their new Series 40 phones as smartphones. (Series 40 is the continuation of that old Nokias, back when Nokia was big, and when they released the same phone in a new weird design almost every week.

So anyway I got my daughter one of them as she really doesnt' (shouldn't) use the internet too much. However I was surprised that the thing will happily browse the web (incl. through WiFi), it comes with a facebook app, includes of course an organizer, music player, etc, etc. The camera is completely crap though, and software wise it doesn't currently look like Nokia is successful in enticing developers to develop apps specifically for the new Series 40 touch form factor. (It's mostly old Java crap games that run on any Java enabled phone.)

It completely does the job as a phone though, has a very good touch screen, is small, light-weight and seems fairly tough, lasts several days on a charge and is overall very well designed and easy to use. So a great phone for the kids and the elderly. wink.png

Nokia-Asha-308-Ahsa-309.jpg

I will say though that they're a little over 3000 baht.. Add a thousand more and you're into cheapo Android phone territory, though most of those a crap, (Samsung Galaxy Pocket sick.gif ) with even smaller and nastier screens than the Nokia. But you sometimes get older Android models being sold around the 4000 baht mark at a discount, that are somewhat usable.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I have a regular phone no camera.

I was wondering if the smart phones receive better and if the sound is better.

I can't address the technical sound quality as I'm pretty dam_n deaf. But this iPhone 5 is the first phone I've ever had where I can actually hear AND understand what is being said when using the speaker phone, rather than holding it up to my ears. And... I can hear that WITHOUT my hearing aids! I couldn't do that with my iPhone 3g.

onthedarkside - which nokia lumia did you get ? Did you get the new 920 one ? I am keen to get one and have seen it at the aiport shops etc...and it looks solid built with the GPS, camera etc

Only the 700, 800, and 900 were available where I looked about 3 months ago. I played with them all at the Nokia agent. I was looking for a low cost smart phone, was near buying a cheapie Samsung Y or duos. I liked the windows mobile OS on the Nokia and bought the 800. It's been Ok, a bit chunky and heavy, stuck with IE browser.

was recommending that to a friend as well 3 mths ago when he was shopping for one. Very user friendly and the tiles make it more pleasant compared to the samsung ones.

Agree at that price range, they beat the Samsung range. S3 vs Nokia 920 they are different opinions on the web depending on your likes and dislikes for what you use the phone for.

For me, camera, GPS, NOkia Music and the Mobile Hotspot are more important for me. The rest are not really important.