Cost Of Living In Pattaya.

essexman

Would like a bit of advice please. I have been living in Thailand nearly 3 years now. Without going into details I am having real marriage problems with my wife. Not sure if I can carry on in this relationship much longer. I have some friends who live in Pattaya and for me I think a move away would be a option I need to consider. I have checked some apartments out and have found a nice one that is 8,000 a month. Its on a small complex and seems very nice and secure.

I am on a retirement visa and have enough money in the bank to cover that. My pension is only 32,000 a month. So, do you think this is enough to live on ? I eat Thai food and run a scooter. Any advice I would appreciate. I am thinking of moving early in the New Year.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you have left after rent is about what I have monthly to live on. My house is paid for but I pay village fees, utilities, internet, mobile, weekly maid and run a big car and survive OK. I just don't eat out nor drink much. It is very possible.

• Like 1

Well the places I have seen so far have told me the utilities are around 1,500. So I'm thinking around 10,000 a month. But I get wifi and use of the swimming pool. Obviously I'm hoping to negotiate the rent for a long term let. I like working out so will join a gym. Not really into the walking street bit, so wont be hanging out there. I'm sure I'll be OK, just have to cut my cloth as they say.

OP: To answer your question , the good news for you is that it seems to me 32,000 per month is enough for you to live on in Pattaya. Many westerners and most Thais live on less. Rental may be one of your bigger expenses and you need to consider additional charges such as for electricity. You can eat inexpensively. Bear in mind that there is always the possiblity for anyone to have health concerns so if you do not have insurance you should consider having funds available for medical or other emergencies.

Edited by Zodiac

Where You stay is essential.when You open the door to Your condo You must feel like it's Your home and feel comfortable...I would personally come down and shop around a bit..for 8-10.000 a month You get a very nice condo in Jomtien for example..look on the internet. Concerning Your scooter I agree with irishVan..and know for sure that You are going feel much better after leaving Your bad relationship and become the person You was before..Good Luck for You essexman.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the posts. The apartment I like the look of is in a good position and quite new. I know you can't tell a lot from photos, but it was recommended to me and seems the sort of thing I'm looking for. Its only a small complex, has a swimming pool, and as I mentioned before has wifi and cable all in with the price. The water costs are a set price of 300 baht a month and the electric is charged at 7 baht a unit. They tell me the average monthly utilities are 1,500. Regarding the scooter, well where I live now is very busy, so know all the pitfalls. But at night I might well use the bus.

It will be hard to start with, but I need to move on and be happy with my life. I'm sure I can find someone who will treat me with a bit more respect than I get now. Living with someone who I tread on eggshells with is wearing me out.

Thanks again for the posts ... I sort of feel more confident now. Just need to get Christmas and New Year out the way ... Then make the move.

Why Pattaya?

You would be better off in Chiang Mai much cheaper and not so in your face.

Nicer women too. You wont be able to afford female companions with that budget in Pattaya.

To be honest I have never been their. I know some people in Pattaya, so will feel a bit more at home. Regarding female's ... Well I need to have some alone time for a while. Then who knows who I might meet.

Yes, it's doable but harsh. I spend more than that and don't have any rent and proudly ride the glorious baht buses. It doesn't leave much at all for expensive entertainments, electronics purchases, and of course should a major expense come up, with that budget 20K baht would be major!

Edited by Jingthing

Why Pattaya?

You would be better off in Chiang Mai much cheaper and not so in your face.

Nicer women too. You wont be able to afford female companions with that budget in Pattaya.

Exactly, the only reason to come to Pattaya is for the openly displayed flange and being a tourist town it does not come cheap (everything here is not cheap). much cheaper places to live and on 32k you can live like a king (within reason).

OP mentions that he's on a retirement visa. I thought you needed 800k THB in the bank to qualify for that, or did I get that wrong?

The OP said he had a retirement visa and had enough money in the bank to cover that. Presumably that money is above and beyond his monthly pension. Anyway, good luck to him and I hope it all works out.

Yes to put the record straight, I have the money in the bank to support my retirement visa. Also that gives me a bit of back up if I need money for an emergency. Being here 3 years I know how to eat cheap and I do eat mostly Thai food. I'm not a big drinker, and when I met up with some friends in Jomtien a couple of months ago, a beer was 40 baht !! Have heard about an ex-pats club, so hope to make some new friends once settled.

A few posts have been removed from view as they violate forum rules: Discussion of prostitution.wai2.gif

OP: Have you actually seen this apartment in person? Before committing to anything, it might be wise to look at it in person. There's plenty of apartments for rent here. And each part of the city is quite different. You can post the name of the apartment here, but a warning to members: please, no name and shame posts. If you have something specific for the OP, best to just PM him.

With regards to location, there's Naklua, Central Pattaya, Pratumnak Hill, Jomtien, a vast area between 3rd road and Sukhumvit and of course, The Dark Side. Each has it's pros and cons, and members here live in every area. Depends on what you are looking for. The dark side tends to be quieter and cheaper. Lots of places to rent in this area in your price range.

I'd recommend coming here for a week to check out the various areas. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Yes to put the record straight, I have the money in the bank to support my retirement visa. Also that gives me a bit of back up if I need money for an emergency. Being here 3 years I know how to eat cheap and I do eat mostly Thai food. I'm not a big drinker, and when I met up with some friends in Jomtien a couple of months ago, a beer was 40 baht !! Have heard about an ex-pats club, so hope to make some new friends once settled.

As for food...hook up with the Frugal Freddy group...they know where all the best frugal and good feeds are around town. In addition, they have one new restaurant that is giving them a FREE buffet meal once a month. And don't forget the time honored Pattaya sport of balloon chasing...there must be at least a dozen or so free feeds on around town on any given nite for birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings, where, for the price of a beer or soda, one can dive into the buffet smile.png

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 2

Hi Chris. Well my wife has all the assets anyway. She owns the home and shop. She runs 2 successful businesses, and has her own money and income. Pity she is such a nightmare to live with.

Regarding apartments, I have been in contact with the agent who looks after an apartment complex called Moonlight Apartments. They are located in the Nong Prue/Boonsampan area. Near the Green Way driving range. Does anybody know of these apartments? There is a studio free now, and 2 more will be available next month. Like another member mentioned, I have to find a place that is nice, and I feel at home in. Obviously cable and WiFi are really a must, plus a swimming pool is an added bonus. If any member can recommend apartments along this line, it will be appreciated.

Edited by essexman

Hi Chris. Well my wife has all the assets anyway. She owns the home and shop. She runs 2 successful businesses, and has her own money and income. Pity she is such a nightmare to live with.

Regarding apartments, I have been in contact with the agent who looks after an apartment complex called Moonlight Apartments. They are located in the Nong Prue/Boonsampan area. Near the Green Way driving range. Does anybody know of these apartments. There is a studio free now, and 2 more will be available next month. Like another member mentioned, I have to find a place that is nice, and I feel at home in. Obviously cable and WiFi are really a must, plus a swimming pool is an added bonus. If any member can recommend apartments along this line, it will be appreciated.

Op: you can do Pattaya on your budget, if you live a bit outside... but the question is more this one: Are you sure you won't be tempted to dive in to the vast nightlife that Pattaya offers? Also, have a GF in Pattaya tends to be more expensive than out in the country side...

You will need committment and discipline in order to keep your living standard aligned to your budget... specially in towns like Pattaya... I know myself... single in Pattaya, I could not do it with that budget because of the temptations which I would too easily fall for.

Regarding apartments, I have been in contact with the agent who looks after an apartment complex called Moonlight Apartments. They are located in the Nong Prue/Boonsampan area. Near the Green Way driving range. Does anybody know of these apartments. There is a studio free now, and 2 more will be available next month. Like another member mentioned, I have to find a place that is nice, and I feel at home in. Obviously cable and WiFi are really a must, plus a swimming pool is an added bonus. If any member can recommend apartments along this line, it will be appreciated.

Op: you can do Pattaya on your budget, if you live a bit outside... but the question is more this one: Are you sure you won't be tempted to dive in to the vast nightlife that Pattaya offers? Also, have a GF in Pattaya tends to be more expensive than out in the country side...

You will need committment and discipline in order to keep your living standard aligned to your budget... specially in towns like Pattaya... I know myself... single in Pattaya, I could not do it with that budget because of the temptations which I would too easily fall for.

Not so hard for some...I've lived in Patts for years and years and soon tired of the bars...haven't been in one for years and would rather shoot myself in the head than sit in a go-go or beer-bar and "talk" to a poor farm girl. It's nothing personal about them...just have better things to do with my time :)

• Like 1

Thai GF is like attaching a 20kg boullet to your leg, gogo bars have draft beer at 60baht so it doesn't cost too much to do a mini gogo crawl smile.png

You can eat thai food at 30-40baht a plate, so if two times a day + small at home breakie you won't spend more than 100 baht for food per day, 30k per month is no problem at all in pattaya if you know your way with money, thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Hi

I think you`ll do OK on the budget you`ve mentioned.

Just to give a couple of examples of apartments you could find, both in naklua( northern pattaya), there is Noble House, on soi 12 naklua, about 2 years old, nice clean furnished rooms at about 5.5 K baht a month( 4.5 K baht a month if you choose ground floor)

Air-con, hot water, key card entry, night time security, a Family Mart general store open 24/7 less than a minute away.

No swimming pool, no fitness centre, it`s about a 10 minute walk from the main naklua road from where you can catch a bahtbus to get about from( or use your scooter of course)

wifi included.

Vela Casa, similar area and less than 1 minute walk from the main naklua road.

From 6K baht a month, has a swimming pool and has a fitness centre, nice rooms.

They did however ask a ridiculous 999 bhat a month extra for internet but you could sort your own connection out or use an air card.

I`ve viewed both but have not stayed at either.

Both would add on extra for water and electricity( and room cleaning)

I do live elsewhere in naklua and find it a pleasant base, not difficult to get about from and there are some reasonably priced rooms/apartments here.

As of course there is elsewhere in Pattaya, just happens that naklua appealed to me.

I`ve contact numbers for the 2 places I`ve mentioned if a google search doesn`t provide you with them.

Shame you relationship has not worked out.

Best of Luck for the futuresmile.png

• Like 1