Thai Airasia To Acquire 7 New Airbus Aircraft Next Year

webfact

Thai AirAsia to acquire 7 new Airbus aircraft next year

The Nation

30196593-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai AirAsia affirms its 2013 target to add 7 new Airbus A320s to its fleet to bolster its coverage both domestic and China and Indo-China routes, continued building on its success of this year.

Tassapon Bijleveld, Chief Executive Officer of ThaiAirAsia, stated that next year (2013) Thai AirAsia has set its sights on adding new 7 Airbus A320s to its fleet, adhering for growth expansion and finishing 2013 with a fleet of 34 aircraft, up from a current total of 27.

"The new Airbus aircraft to arrive in 2013 will be added to Thai AirAsia network on most popular routes especially in China as well as on upcoming destinations, where we plan to continue for expansion. They will also provide the opportunity for us to increase our flight frequencies domestically, adding even more convenient traveling time to our passengers." Tassapon assured.

In 2012, Thai AirAsia added 5 Airbus A320s to its fleet and will add 7 more in 2013 to approach its target of a fleet of 48 aircraft over the next year 2-3 years.

AirAsia, a majority shareholder of Thai AirAsia, earlier revised its fleet-expansion plan from 200 aircraft to 375 over the next five years to serve growing air travel in the Asean market. It attributes the region’s economic prosperity - driven by the launch of the Asean Economic Community (AEC) in 2015 - to this need for more aircraft.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-21

Indeed good news for the region.

SQ just sold their 49% share in Virgin to focus on India/China - combined population of 2.7 billion, FD gets it carve out a niche.

For those interested look at the range of the A320. I would shave a few cm off that map, the LCC's usually are packed, but you can clearly see the the region has huge potential.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a320family/a320/performance/

SQ just sold their 49% share in Virgin to focus on India/China - combined population of 2.7 billion, FD gets it carve out a niche.

For those interested look at the range of the A320. I would shave a few cm off that map, the LCC's usually are packed, but you can clearly see the the region has huge potential.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a320family/a320/performance/

Can easily reach Western Australia, just out of reach to the east coast, that is why AAX uses A330.

I did UBP/DMK/KUL/SYD and return in October, no problems at all.

As you say, never a shortage of customers, they must be doing something right.

Good for FD. I hope they continue to draw off the the low end travel segment and allow the other airlines to concentrate on clients willing to pay for service. FD's pax are the types that try to cram as much as they can in the storage bins, that push and shove and can't fit in the reduced pitch seats. I've flown on FD when I had to day trips to Singapore and they are fine as a bus service as long as nothing goes wrong. With its limited frequencies on routes and limited ground staff complement it is not an airline one wants to be on when there are weather issues. I always have a chuckle at HKT checkin with the FD long lines that move at a snail's pace while TG's move faster. Anyone that flies on FD forgoes the right to complain when things go wrong because they got what they paid for. Unlike TG, FD makes no allowances for pax mistakes and will nickel and dime the simpletons that are willing to roll the dice. Good luck and enjoy the lower priority extended for landing and takeoff slots. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Who are the minority share holders of Thai Air Asia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirAsia

Thai AirAsia (Thai: ไทยแอร์เอเชีย) was established on 8 December 2003 as joint venture with the then known Shin Corporation (now, InTouch plc), a corporation owned by the family of Thailand’s former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra with around 900 million baht in total investments over a five-year period. Flight operations commenced on 13 January 2004 from its base in Don Mueang International Airport. From 25 September 2006 to 30 September 2012, the airline was based at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport. Effective 1 October 2012, the airline shifted all operations from Suvarnabhumi Airport back to Don Mueang International Airport.

Thai AirAsia (Thai: ไทยแอร์เอเชีย) was established on 8 December 2003 as joint venture with the then known Shin Corporation (now, InTouch plc), a corporation owned by the family of Thailand’s former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra with around 900 million baht in total investments over a five-year period. Flight operations commenced on 13 January 2004 from its base in Don Mueang International Airport. From 25 September 2006 to 30 September 2012, the airline was based at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport. Effective 1 October 2012, the airline shifted all operations from Suvarnabhumi Airport back to Don Mueang International Airport.

Top 5 Shareholders:  Tune Air Sdn Bhd  Employees Provident Fund Board  Genesis Smaller Companies Wellington Management Company  The Nomad Investment Partnership Lp Cayman

http://www.airbus.co...20/performance/

Photo is wrong, New Airbus 320 will have sharklets for a 4% fuel saving

Top 5 Shareholders:  Tune Air Sdn Bhd  Employees Provident Fund Board  Genesis Smaller Companies Wellington Management Company  The Nomad Investment Partnership Lp Cayman

Are the Shinawatra family still involved in Thai Air Asia?

http://www.airbus.co...20/performance/

Hmmmm. the Airbus map shows it just reaches KL from the Gold Coast in Australia, and the flights are normally quite full, so no need to shave off those cm. The flights are good, and I've done 15 this year. food is quite nice too. It's just the KL LC terminal! It can be a very chaotic place, best avoided at religious holiday times as I discovered the hard way.

There's not too many places in the air conditioned area to wait if you have a long transit time before you can check in and head for the passenger lounge. Singapore is a much nicer alternative.

Has anyone heard about a possible new LC terminal planned for KL? I was told by a taxi driver.

I have been flying with AA to Melbourne for nearly 10 years now, and over the time i have noticed

how Air Asia and AAX has gradually gone to the dogs by raising fares, penny pinching and gauging

the pax for every penny they can think of, frequently coming out with promotions and special fares like

" fly to So an So stating only b. xx,xxx all inclusive" which in fact it is not, as not "everything" is included

in the fare, 30 minutes later of searching only to find out that no such fair is existed at all and in the sick

mined of the fare dreamers AA people, try to complain or even to make an enquiry regarding the flight and

you will NEVER get a reply, try to be late 5 min to the check incounter flight and you can kiss your ticket good bye as it just been null ed and voided, and now you need to buy new on at full fare.

AA is a good airline once you are in the air, the autocrats, the service the timing, really can't fault the flight

save for the long waiting hours in this barn yard style airport lounge in KL, but as they say, you get what

you pay for,

AA knows very well that as a strong regional player in the aviation industry it can writhe its own ticket

and they behave like that now, cocky and arrogant, until some other player will offer better product

than them than they will go back to being nice,

• Like 1

Are the Shinawatra family still involved in Thai Air Asia?

What I'm wondering too. I prefer to select which pockets my money goes.

But I think their share was sold alongside the AIS Temasek scandal (same timing at least). To be confirmed since a shareholder called "The Nomad Investment Partnership Lp Cayman" fits the bill to be owned by these folks, judging by the name...

I guess the A320's which the Thai associate company of AirAsia Berhad will get will be similar to these:

"AirAsia becomes first operator of Airbus’ Sharklet equipped A320

21 December 2012 Press Release

Airbus has delivered the first A320 equipped with Sharklets today to AirAsia, which becomes the first operator of the new fuel-saving large wing tip devices. Sharklets are an option on new-build A320 Family aircraft, and are standard on all members of the A320neo Family."

http://www.airbus.com/newsevents/news-events-single/detail/airasia-becomes-first-operator-of-airbus-sharklet-equipped-a320/