Compare Thailand To Costa Rica For Retirement

tc101

As I have mentioned in other posts, I am 56, have recently retired and am thinking about where to spend the next few years. In all my reading the two best places seem like Thailand and Costa Rica. I will be visiting both places in the next year, but I would enjoy feedback here from anyone who has visited both places.

Which is more expensive? What are advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?

I live in USA, so Costa Rica is a 4 hour flight and Thailand is a 20 hour flight. It is interesting that the costs of the flights are not that different. About $600 to Costa Rica and $1100 to Thailand. I don't understand that. But I hate sitting on a plane for 20 hours, so that means I will visit Costa Rica first.

Asia fascinates me more than Latin America. I am kind of interested in Buddhism. Those are plusses for Thailand.

The expat scene in Thailand seems more decadent than in Costa Rica. It also seems crazier and more interesting. Not sure if that is a plus or minus.

Lower priced health and dental care are major considerations, and those are supposed to be good in both places. The USA has an on going health care crisis, and in a few years it will only be for the rich. Medical tourism is going to become more and more important to people who can not afford health care here.

I have gone on too long. I am eager to hear your thoughts.

I' ve spent november in Costa Rica and December in Panama.

In Costa Rica I was told on a daily basis not to walk at night, ride taxis only and never alone in San Jose, Puerto Limon as well. A man even ran across the street once and told us to head back where we came from, this was at noon!

Panama is also pretty wild, you 'll see police and army guys on motorcycles dessed is SWAT uniforms, the guy at the back carrying a machine gun, wearing full protective gear, can't see their faces. There is constant police and army surveilance, very intimidating, not reassuring. Pickpockets are a plague.

Always wanted to see these places but wouldn't want to live there after what I've seen. There's crack pretty well everywhere, so, lots of violence and theft.

I've never felt threatened or scared in 2 years in Thailand but did quite often over there in 2 months...

I've never been to Costa Rica, but I've lived and travelled in other Central American countries. The standard explanation is that CR is totally different, much safer, more expensive, etc., than places like Nicaragua and Honduras (which are the bottom of the garbage pit for many expatriates). I'll bet CR is more expensive, and more dangerous, than Thailand. But I could learn Spanish at age 56, whereas I cannot learn Thai.

And, you can get back home faster for vacations, from Costa Rica.

That's all I know. Which ain't much.

I’ve been to Costa Rica twice for holidays. (Also long time ago Guatemala, El Salvador and Belize plus a couple of visits to Mexico) Been living in Bangkok almost eight months, came here six times before for work or holiday (maybe a total of 2 more months).

Costa Ricans are a very nice people. I’d put the Thai ahead in terms of that very special Thai grace and manner. Also Thai’s are a little more fun loving but to be honest I never got beyond being a tourist in Costa Rica so maybe that’s a little unfair. But the Costa Rican’s are wonderful. They are the most peaceful and democratic country in Latin America – they don’t have an army. Their slogan is “pura vita” – the pure life. Living simple, enjoy the outdoor, don’t start wars, educate your children, etc.

In term of scenery I’d maybe rate Costa Rica a little higher – a beautiful and compact country, but not by much and maybe I’d change after I’ve had more time to see Thailand. Huge plus to Costa Rica if you like the outdoors like hiking, birdwatching, etc. The country is something like 10% park land and very accessible. They pretty much invented eco-tourism and do a ###### fine job of it.

San Jose is a sleepy little capital and you do have to watch your back there more than Bangkok is my sense. You can’t compare the two – if you have an desire, even if you life in the country, to have a city for entertainment (there is great night life without being decadent), world-class food, etc. Bangkok is a major world city, San Jose is a pit. You fly in and out but you don’t stay there.

Culture-wise Thailand has more to offer and just a deeper sense of culture and tradition. This isn’t a knock on Costa Rica just the history of Thailand is much longer and richer. And today Thailand is a vibrant exciting energetic place – yes crazy and it seems at times but to me it feels so much more alive.

If you like to travel I think Thailand as a base is way ahead of Costa Rica – here you are just a few hours or less from Hong Kong, India, all of Southeast Asia, etc. Great hub to explore the region that is very diverse and interesting. Around Costa Rica what do you have? More of the same but poorer. (OK there are cultural differences etc. but not like I think you get in this area)

The food?? Thailand has perhaps some of the best food in the world. I am still amazed by the food I eat when I do the smart thing and tell my Thai friends “you order”. Nothing like what I’d get in the US – it’s varied, full of flavor, endless interesting to me – great. Costa Rica food is fairly bland and simple. Somewhere the boat that brought exciting food to Mexico and Brazil missed Costa Rica. Beans, rice, grilled meats – few spices and zing to the food.

I wondered about Costa Rica as a place to retire. The closeness to the US can be a plus. But even with that I think I’d get bored there – food, things to do, culture, the region. It’s a great place to vacation, fantastic. My family had our favorite vacations there. But to me Thailand wins hands down as a place I want to stay and retire in. As far as I’m concerned it is home.

Check the both out, live in each for six months (I think that is the standard advice from any retirement relocation book). Good luck.

concerned it is home.

..........Check the both out, live in each for six months (I think that is the standard advice from any retirement relocation book). Good luck.

Great post about Thailand - you have covered pretty much all the relavant points. Not been to Costa Rica, but have been in Mexico - no comparison with LOS. There are some great scenic places in Thailand: any of the national parks; the idylic islands and coast in the South; and of course the North. Ankor Wat, just down the road in Cambodia is breathtaking. Overall, it may not be up to Costa Rica'n standards, but there's enough diversity to keep you going for years if you like travelling.

You've heard it all - you decide. :o

I've spent a few weeks in Thailand and 16 months in Central America and Mexico. Costa Rica is more expensive than Thailand and has much more crime. You are less likely to be murdered in Costa Rica than other Central American countries, but there is still a great deal of armed robbery and occasional murders of ex-pats. This happens mostly in the cities, the smaller towns are reasonably safe. On the other had it is much easier to learn Spanish than Thai, and there is less culture shock in Costa Rica. It is easier to buy property in Costa Rica than in Thailand, but since land fraud is a problem you want to move slowly and with the help of a well recommended lawyer (abogado). The food is much better in Thailand. Since I kind of enjoy culture shock I would go with Thailand, but I recommend you spend time in both countries before deciding.

I second Valjean's assessment. My Spanish is 1000% better than my Thai which makes it easier to get around in Costa Rica. And the scenery is a little more striking since it goes from beach to volcanos and rain forests, to beach in less than a day of travel. The people are very nice as well. It is also half the price to fly and 1/3 the travel time.

The standard of living in Costa Rica is probably higher on average than in Thailand. It has a well educated population, and their economy hasn't been ravaged by the civil wars that have devastated nearby countries in the not so distant past. One source of pride for them is they have no standing army due to the political stability. They say they're the Switzerland of the Americas.

But, the last time I was in Costa Rica was 2003. I was in Thailand 4 times last year alone. It's just that much more exotic feeling and interesting...the food, the people, the products in the stores. If I didn't have a Thai girlfriend I'd maybe travel to Costa Rica more, but it feels like a vacation spot to me, not a place to stop. If you're looking for a place more like the US, then Costa Rica is going to be it.

You're doing the right thing by checking things out for yourself, so you'll know soon enough. Come on back and report once you're done. Maybe I've missed out on something.

TC,

Why don't you compare the Philippines with Thailand. Central America, and Asia is very hard to compare.

Barry

I asked about Costa Rica because it so much easier to get to. I know if I want to deal with the 20 hour flight there are lots of interesting places in Asia. I want to spend half my time in the USA and half my time overseas. I dread the long flights to Asia.

I'm sort of in the "same boat" as the original poster. Except that I'd much prefer Panama or maybe Argentina or Uruguay to Costa Rica. I've done quite a bit of traveling in Latin America and speak some spanish, but yet I'm still considering a trip to LOS to check it out. I never liked the crime (and it seems to be getting worse) all over Latin America (except for maybe Chile and Uruguay?). But one of my requirements is access to nice beaches with warm water... I've been trying to decide where to go for years now. Sometimes I think maybe I should just stay here in the states. It's extremely safe and quiet where I am...and I've learned how to live quite cheaply....but cold winters and boredom can really get to me (not to mention a distinct lack of available, attractive women).

TC,

Why don't you compare the Philippines with Thailand. Central America, and Asia is very hard to compare.

Barry

I asked about Costa Rica because it so much easier to get to. I know if I want to deal with the 20 hour flight there are lots of interesting places in Asia. I want to spend half my time in the USA and half my time overseas. I dread the long flights to Asia.

Culture shock was mentioned in passing on this thread, but it is worth emphasizing. The culture differences between Western society and Thailand are immense.

I've lived in five countries on four continents. Thailand is - by far - the most unusual in terms of cultural differences. I thrive on the challenge, and consider every new encounter a fascinating lesson. However, some people will recoil from the never-ending cultural differences. For example: the concept of "face", how Thai people relate to each other, what Thais do and say in the presence of foreigners compared to what they do and say among themselves.

I recommend careful consideration of the huge cultural differences - and your response to them - before you make any committments to Thailand.

That said, I'll be pleased to spend all the rest of my days right here in Thailand. That is, until the Muslims start taking over here. Then I may get very interested in Costa Rica.

Edited by Mr_Dave

That said, I'll be pleased to spend all the rest of my days right here in Thailand. That is, until the Muslims start taking over here. Then I may get very interested in Costa Rica.

Is that really much of a possibility, or a joke? I don't know enough about the situation to judge.

Strictly a joke. The three southern-most provinces are having trouble with Muslim insurgency, but it's pretty much confined to those provinces only. The idea of Thailand turning into a Muslim country are about as remote as Britain becoming Buddhist. Or America becoming Moslem.

I dread the long flights to Asia.

So does most everybody. There are two things you can do to make the long flights less dreadful.

First, travel EVA Airlines and book Evergreen Deluxe Class. This gives you a wider seat, much more leg room, better service, and a special seating section at the front of the plane. The extra cost from Europe/USA/Canada to Asia is roughly 100 Euro/Pounds/Dollars per flight. That extra cost also keeps out the crying children, drunken louts and smelly backpackers who congregate in the economy section.

Second, EVA's hub is in Taipei. Arrange your BKK connection so you have a couple of hours layover at Taipei airport. Walk to the rear of the terminal (away from the departure area) and go up one flight of stairs to the airport hotel. For US$ 10 you can get a hot shower. You'll have time to shave, brush your teeth, change underwear and socks. You'll feel refreshed. The locker room and showers are spotless. There is no time limit. The airport hotel is within the restricted area, so you do NOT need to go through the inspection lanes.

Those two things have made a huge improvement in my comfort on long flights, at a very small cost.

Edited by Mr_Dave

Thanks for the tip on EVA Evergreen class. It would cost about $200 extra, but that might be worth it to have a more comfortable ride.

So does most everybody. There are two things you can do to make the long flights less dreadful.

First, travel EVA Airlines and book Evergreen Deluxe Class. This gives you a wider seat, much more leg room, better service, and a special seating section at the front of the plane. The extra cost from Europe/USA/Canada to Asia is roughly 100 Euro/Pounds/Dollars per flight. That extra cost also keeps out the crying children, drunken louts and smelly backpackers who congregate in the economy section.

Second, EVA's hub is in Taipei. Arrange your BKK connection so you have a couple of hours layover at Taipei airport. Walk to the rear of the terminal (away from the departure area) and go up one flight of stairs to the airport hotel. For US$ 10 you can get a hot shower. You'll have time to shave, brush your teeth, change underwear and socks. You'll feel refreshed. The locker room and showers are spotless. There is no time limit. The airport hotel is within the restricted area, so you do NOT need to go through the inspection lanes.

Those two things have made a huge improvement in my comfort on long flights, at a very small cost.

Culture shock was mentioned in passing on this thread, but it is worth emphasizing. The culture differences between Western society and Thailand are immense.

I've lived in five countries on four continents. Thailand is - by far - the most unusual in terms of cultural differences. I thrive on the challenge, and consider every new encounter a fascinating lesson. However, some people will recoil from the never-ending cultural differences. For example: the concept of "face", how Thai people relate to each other, what Thais do and say in the presence of foreigners compared to what they do and say among themselves.

I recommend careful consideration of the huge cultural differences - and your response to them - before you make any committments to Thailand.

A thoughtful and welcome post.

While I have come to quite a different conclusion (I spend as little time Thailand now as possible since, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, the Third World grinds you down), I think you put your finger right on a key point in a very few words. There are plenty of people posting on this board who, after hundreds of posts, have never managed to come close to doing that with all their tens of thousands of words taken together.

I thoroughly endorse Mr Dave's post on Eva Air. I only travel from London (11-13 hours), and I wouldn't travel any other way. The extra cost is well worth it. Virtually all the farangs I know also use Eva Evergreen.

Don't worry about the muslims - it was ajoke. I think they'll eevetually sort it - once thery get rid of Thaksin. :o Now don't start worrying about coups, we're very peaceful over here. :D

The food?? Thailand has perhaps some of the best food in the world. I am still amazed by the food I eat when I do the smart thing and tell my Thai friends “you order”. Nothing like what I’d get in the US – it’s varied, full of flavor, endless interesting to me – great. Costa Rica food is fairly bland and simple. Somewhere the boat that brought exciting food to Mexico and Brazil missed Costa Rica. Beans, rice, grilled meats – few spices and zing to the food.

I disagree with this. I like Thai food, but it is not better or great.

I prefer Asia then any other region of the world, so I would say go to Thailand. If you want to be near the US, you can live in Puerto Rico. It is a Us Territory and you don't need a visa.

Edited by britainmal

Thanks for the tip on EVA Evergreen class. It would cost about $200 extra, but that might be worth it to have a more comfortable ride.

Here's another option which, granted, may not be available to all. I fly out from Chicago, which is about 26-30 hours door to door to BKK. I'll book my flight thru LA and Taipei, where I have friends in both locations. I layover for a day or two at each stop. Not only does it break the flight up but I get a chance to visit with these friends everytime I travel back and forth to the U.S.

As I say, though, this may not be an option for everyone.

For retirement or long stay, I very strongly suggest Brasil as top choice. Costa Rica is very nice, have been there once, but lack of variety of scenery so is Tailand. Brasil's coastal towns in states of Sao Paulo , Rio, Santa Catarina ect, are attracting lots of long stayers now. There are tons of very very safe and absolutely beautiful towns in the coastal southeast region and the living expenses are the same as tailand.

I have been to all these towns like in state of Sao Paulo: Guaruja, Riviera Sao Lourenco, Sao Vicente, Bertioga, Ubatuba, ect ect, and many others more along the litoral sao Paulo.

And in state of Rio: Cabo Frio, Angras dos Reis, Buzios, ect.

and my favorite of all Florianopolis or Floripa in state of Santa Catarina's capital. All these coastal cities are much safer than Bangkok or Pattaya and thousand times more scenic. You can switch places any times, just too many nice towns, never get bored.

The cost of living in the coastal towns are much cheaper than Sao Paulo or Rio these hectic cities. The cost is about the same as living in Tailand or can be cheaper. But these towns are absolutely beautiful scenic, that Tailand has no comparison to at all, also for us guys, its double paradise as well, full of beautiful garotas of every imaginable varieties. Also the food and fruits are so good there. One more thing, Brasil is very visa friendly, for most of us are 90 days visa free with extendable to 180 days, and also extendable again after that by situations. For US nationals, it's 10 year visa, each stay 90 days, and extendable to 180 days or more. Very visa friendly.

If I am getting to the retirement age, for me it's coastal SP, Rio, and Floripa, no second choice. Brasil beat Tailand and Costa Rica by light years in the retirement atmosphere and quality. If you check out coastal SP or Rio or Floripa, your life will be changed.

Thanks for the info on brasil. It's been on my list of potential retirement places for awhile. I spent a month there 25 years ago..when it was cheap. I would also be interested in the Floripa area or Ubatuba etc. BUT... hasn't it gotten a bit expensive? The real has strengthened quite a bit lately, no? The Big Mac index (for a perhaps bad example) has Brasil at us$2.57 and Thailand at us$1.52. Have you been there lately? And, why are you on ThaiVisa if you are happy with Brasil?

Thanks!

For retirement or long stay, I very strongly suggest Brasil as top choice. Costa Rica is very nice, have been there once, but lack of variety of scenery so is Tailand. Brasil's coastal towns in states of Sao Paulo , Rio, Santa Catarina ect, are attracting lots of long stayers now. There are tons of very very safe and absolutely beautiful towns in the coastal southeast region and the living expenses are the same as tailand.

I have been to all these towns like in state of Sao Paulo: Guaruja, Riviera Sao Lourenco, Sao Vicente, Bertioga, Ubatuba, ect ect, and many others more along the litoral sao Paulo.

And in state of Rio: Cabo Frio, Angras dos Reis, Buzios, ect.

and my favorite of all Florianopolis or Floripa in state of Santa Catarina's capital. All these coastal cities are much safer than Bangkok or Pattaya and thousand times more scenic. You can switch places any times, just too many nice towns, never get bored.

The cost of living in the coastal towns are much cheaper than Sao Paulo or Rio these hectic cities. The cost is about the same as living in Tailand or can be cheaper. But these towns are absolutely beautiful scenic, that Tailand has no comparison to at all, also for us guys, its double paradise as well, full of beautiful garotas of every imaginable varieties. Also the food and fruits are so good there. One more thing, Brasil is very visa friendly, for most of us are 90 days visa free with extendable to 180 days, and also extendable again after that by situations. For US nationals, it's 10 year visa, each stay 90 days, and extendable to 180 days or more. Very visa friendly.

If I am getting to the retirement age, for me it's coastal SP, Rio, and Floripa, no second choice. Brasil beat Tailand and Costa Rica by light years in the retirement atmosphere and quality. If you check out coastal SP or Rio or Floripa, your life will be changed.

pbrane, I spend many months a year in Brasil. I am stuck in Tailand rest of the year because I am stuck with a very nice Thai girl which I know for 4 years, and so used to be together with her and feel too pity to dump her after all these times together. Thats my situation. But still manage to go Brasil several times a year for releif and side dishes.

The living expenses in Brasil do not differ to Tailand. A month rent of a upper middle level big high rise studio in centro Floripa is about 150-400 Euros. For very nice one bed room condo ocean view maybe around 300-500 Euros. On the beaches outside of centro, can rent nice 1-2 bed room beach condo for 300-500 Euros per month. The price is about the same in coastal Sao Paulo or coastal Rio de Janeiro.

Mac is considered very expensive compared to local foods. For 1 nice meal, for example, por kilo( you get what you want buffet style and charge by the weight) about 6-8 reais or about 2.5-3.2 USD will make you full. Cheap churrascaria is only about 12-15 reais, buffet all you can eat meats and salads. Big calabresa sandwitch in the street corner bars is 2-3 reais, make you full.

So for me as Brasil old timers, Brasil is cheaper than Thailand in living expenses and the living quality and atmosphere is so much much better than Thailand or Costa Rica in these towns I mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the great info. I've been doing some more research into real estate in Floripa and I see that things aren't too bad (decent-looking condos for us$50k-100k). What's a calabresa sandwich? And am I more likely to "meet my match" (woman) in Brasil or Thailand?

Thanks again,

pb

pbrane, I spend many months a year in Brasil. I am stuck in Tailand rest of the year because I am stuck with a very nice Thai girl which I know for 4 years, and so used to be together with her and feel too pity to dump her after all these times together. Thats my situation. But still manage to go Brasil several times a year for releif and side dishes.

The living expenses in Brasil do not differ to Tailand. A month rent of a upper middle level big high rise studio in centro Floripa is about 150-400 Euros. For very nice one bed room condo ocean view maybe around 300-500 Euros. On the beaches outside of centro, can rent nice 1-2 bed room beach condo for 300-500 Euros per month. The price is about the same in coastal Sao Paulo or coastal Rio de Janeiro.

Mac is considered very expensive compared to local foods. For 1 nice meal, for example, por kilo( you get what you want buffet style and charge by the weight) about 6-8 reais or about 2.5-3.2 USD will make you full. Cheap churrascaria is only about 12-15 reais, buffet all you can eat meats and salads. Big calabresa sandwitch in the street corner bars is 2-3 reais, make you full.

So for me as Brasil old timers, Brasil is cheaper than Thailand in living expenses and the living quality and atmosphere is so much much better than Thailand or Costa Rica in these towns I mentioned.

pbrane, yes with 50000-100000 USD you can buy a smaller nice condo or nice private house in Florianopolis or anywhere on the Litoral Sao Paulo coast or Litoral Rio or Fortaleza coast ect. But Floripa is the best and beautiful location and absolutely safe city.

My favorite locations in Floripa are the Lagoa areas. many condos and houses for your budget, then there are over 50 popular beach locales. My personal favorites are Praia Joaquina area, Praia Jurere areas, Praia Mole, Pontas das Canas, and now there are lots of new development in the south part of island like Praia Brava ect.

Take your time and check out all the beach locales, and Lagoa areas, and of course if you like metropolitan living of the centro with tons of high rise ocean view condos.

Also nearby beach resort town of Camboriu is also a very good choice for stay.

By the way, calabresa is the most popular sausage in Brasil and it's of germanic origin. They often go on top of stove disc pizza or in sandwitch with French bread. Muito gostozo(very delicious).

pbrane, I spend many months a year in Brasil. I am stuck in Tailand rest of the year because I am stuck with a very nice Thai girl which I know for 4 years, and so used to be together with her and feel too pity to dump her after all these times together. Thats my situation.

Can't help but admire you, you are indeed a legend of a man.

Well done