Question On Ed Visa

Hello,

I am studing Thai at a language school in Bangkok, got three months for a 1 year ED visa (single entry)

I should renew it on Jan 5th 2013 for my second term, all the paperwork has been prepared by the school for the Immigration Office

I plan to travel to Lao soon, what about if I could renew it at the Laotian border? Would it avoid me to go to immigration Office north of Bangkok?

thanks

Why do you want to go to Lao border to extend your ED visa?

If you already been studying you should be able to make the extension at any nearest immigration office.

So long as you keep paying to go to school and they give paperwork you should never need to leave the country again after the first time you did travel to get the visa

please do not the 5 jan is a saturday so if you visit immigration between 2 & 4 january .

If the expiry date falls on a day immigration is closed, it is allowed to apply for an extension the first day they are open again without being fined for overstay.

Also i think you should consider this, and maybe ask a mod who knows his stuff (like litebeer thumbsup.gif )

I think if you already have a ED visa and you want to go out of the country (but still keep the ED visa you have OK) first you must apply for a single entry/permit/pass from immigration in Bangkok before you go on your trip...otherwise your ED might be cancelled or have trouble

Sorry i cant speak for sure on this but i think something you should look into wai.gif

Also i think you should consider this, and maybe ask a mod who knows his stuff (like litebeer thumbsup.gif )

I think if you already have a ED visa and you want to go out of the country (but still keep the ED visa you have OK) first you must apply for a single entry/permit/pass from immigration in Bangkok before you go on your trip...otherwise your ED might be cancelled or have trouble

Sorry i cant speak for sure on this but i think something you should look into wai.gif

Sorry Mario, i did not see you there, you also know your stuff with good advice!!

please can you answer my question also as i will be in this situation soonwai2.gif

A re-entry permit would only keep his permisison to stay till Jan. 5th alive. He should apply for an extension of stay first and then for a re-entry permit.

A re-entry permit would only keep his permisison to stay till Jan. 5th alive. He should apply for an extension of stay first and then for a re-entry permit.

Thanks for this answer..

But sorry, do i understand right?...If you do already have a ED visa and you want to cross a border for any reason, holiday ect

then do you first need to make some arrangement at immigration Bangkok?

Or can just cross with ED visa and get re-entry permit at that border no problem?

You need to obtain a re-entry permit at the location you obtained your extension of stay (full immigration office - not border check-point) so best to always get one just in case you may need in a hurry. Most international airports also have an immigration counter to obtain but may not be staffed 24 hours.

You need to obtain a re-entry permit at the location you obtained your extension of stay (full immigration office - not border check-point) so best to always get one just in case you may need in a hurry. Most international airports also have an immigration counter to obtain but may not be staffed 24 hours.

Thanks Lop, I think this is crucial info for the OP, he does say he plans to travel to Lao soon, but from the style he does write, it sound like he might not know he must make these arrangement fro re-entry first.

hope he does get back on here and see the info from you two mods or could have trouble with ED visa wink.png