Watchmaker? Repair Watches

shepsel

Does anyone know of a real watchmaker--a person who can actually repair a watch rather than

change a battery--who is located in the Chiang Mai area?

I certainly would appreciate a reference, as I would prefer not to have to send my watch to

Bangkok for repairs.

My Seiko watch needed repairing recently, and I took it to the Seiko agent, 2nd floor of Kad Suan Keow. It went to BKK, and was back in 2 weeks, cost me around 150 baht. Maybe they will look at non-Seiko watches

Normally there will be one at most shopping centers here in Bangkok and would expect the same in Chiang Mai; but if name brand should probably use there services. Yes most just change batteries these days but normally they can also repair if actually have a shop with used watches on display.

On Chang Phuak Road, one or two blocks south of Novotel hotel. The one we go to is not on the corner, but one or two shops down. He has a machine behind him that they use to clean the watch parts. I think the machine was green and there are 3 bottles of liquid and a metal cylinder. I used him last year for my Tag - crystal replacement, cleaning. I was with 3 other people who had work done on 4 watches - battery, crystal replacement on a Seiko, gasket replacements on a couple of the watches and one cleaning on a Tag. This was a few days ago. Everyone's watches seem to be working fine. Oh, and we use the guy that sits in front of that machine not the one in the adjacent area.

Edited by just_Elaine

Tapae Rd, half way down. 3 or 4 proper watch repairmen there. cheap as chips and very good.

Charoensilp is most likely the place you mean. Proper watchmaker there. One guy was trained in Switzerland. I wouldn't say cheap as chips but not overly expensive. No English spoken.

This has been on the forum before it would seem the consensus was CharoensilpI took mine and the wife's there very happy with the service. They are located on Tha Pa road in between AIS and the canal. Look close you might miss the canal. They are only about 35 meters towards the river from AIS on the south side of the road.

Some of the places mentioned above (Robinson counter, shops on Chang Phuek) are fine for newer, battery operated watches but the only guy competent (IMHO) to work on 50-100 year old Swiss watches, as well as antique American watches is the one younger guy at Charoensilp on Thannon Thapae. They also have access to a large inventory of Omega, Tissot, etc. parts at their facility in Bangkok.

Edited by elektrified

Some of the places mentioned above (Robinson counter, shops on Chang Phuek) are fine for newer, battery operated watches but the only guy competent (IMHO) to work on 50-100 year old Swiss watches, as well as antique American watches is the one younger guy at Charoensilp on Thannon Thapae. They also have access to a large inventory of Omega, Tissot, etc. parts at their facility in Bangkok.

I took my 50 year old Omega to Charoensilp. The young guy told me t needed a whole new movement from Bangkok. Decided to get a second opinion so toko to Robinson at Airport Plaza. Cleaned and serviced in about an hour and has been running ever since. 350 baht as I recall.

I took my 50 year old Omega to Charoensilp. The young guy told me t needed a whole new movement from Bangkok. Decided to get a second opinion so toko to Robinson at Airport Plaza. Cleaned and serviced in about an hour and has been running ever since. 350 baht as I recall.

I took 12 watches to Charoensilp; 10 X 60+ y/o Swiss watches and 2 American watches -- old Bulova, Elgin, etc. They charged me a flat 2500 THB per watch to go through each watch and clean, repair, buff the crystal, etc. Some watches hadn't worked for years, some had missing hands, etc. They never tried to sell me a new movement on any of them. A couple did need additional parts from their place in BKK but the cost was minimal. They did have to order parts for one watch from Switzerland which took about two months but they showed me the receipt and charged me the same as on the receipt which was about 120 Swiss Francs. The young guy did all the work and spent a lot of time on the Elgin but could not get it running. He gave up on it and did not charge me at all for that one. I can not say enough good things about them. Oh, and I took the watches to two different watchmakers in Europe. They each wanted about 230 Euros per watch to do the same work!