Khao Yai Crocodile Freaking Out Tourists: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a croc in a national park? I would had thought this would have been an asset and even an attraction.

however I see some say it is a "hybrid" - if so what kind? do they mean it has escaped from a farm or a zoo? How do they know it's a hybrid?

Apart from salties (estuarine crocs) crocs present little or no danger to people unless they are ex-captives in which case they may have lost their natural fear of humans.

If this a true Siamese Crocodile, it should be a cause for celebration as these are critically endangered species and was previously thought to be extinct in Thailand. Therefore the tourists should be kept out and the area set aside as a protected zone. If it is just an crossbreed escapee from one of the skin farms than make a handbag out of it.

In that case you can count on the locals killing it.

If this a true Siamese Crocodile, it should be a cause for celebration as these are critically endangered species and was previously thought to be extinct in Thailand. Therefore the tourists should be kept out and the area set aside as a protected zone. If it is just an crossbreed escapee from one of the skin farms than make a handbag out of it.

It's a salt water croc so not even native to Thailand

Did the rangers win ? Did they get it after apparently looking for several years?

With the New Year and holiday crowds approaching, wildlife protection authorities want to snag the croc before anyone gets hurt.

It is paste the target, Pass or Fail?

I've walked that trail many times, and 9 out of 10 times I've seen it. It has a few favorite basking spots where you can find it most of the time. And I know the rangers see it, because I've seen them guiding tourists there. The question is if the stories are really true that it is not supposed to be in this park. The fact that it was never seen until a couple of years ago, doesn't prove it has never been there. It's the elevation that raises questions, because the Siamese Crocodile is supposed to be a lowland species. Though it has been recorded up to 600 meters. The location where this crocodile is found is about 650m. I guess it should not be difficult to find out if the species occured further downstream of the Lamtakong river.

The animal is really used to visitors, but so are the -normally very skittish- Indo-Chinese Water Dragons (similar to Green Iguanas), and Water Monitors that inhabit the same stretch. It's a popular trail because it's the only trail you're sure you won't get lost, and basically the only area where you see Thais on foot in the jungle hoping to find a waterfall. The animals have learned that these tourists don't pose a threat. BTW, the animal's territory is quite a few hundred meters downstream from the Pa Kluay Mai waterfall, where the river is more calm.

If it's truly a hybrid Salt-water x Siamese Crocodile, it should be removed. It should be easy to get a DNA sample and check it. I think the rangers failed on purpose after the animal got in the news years ago. It attracted lots of visitors, which means more money for the park.

The only thing that causes potential trouble is these stupid people that don't believe it's real. While basking it looks like a stuffed animal, so I know people have thrown stones/ sticks to it to find out if it's real.

Just as stupid a people complaining about a wild animal in a national park. The current Park Chief even lets rangers patrol the roads to look for wild elephants that walk on the road. And I've seen several times how they try to chase the animals back in the jungle; using loud siren sounds. They don't seem to understand that it is their home. Chasing them away makes them more scared for cars and people and with their good memories it might cause dangerous situations in the future when elephants encounter people. But what can you expect from a park chief that has never set one foot in the jungle...

I was told that the croc's (yes there is suppose to be more than one) were introduced back into their habitat by the National park authorities back a few years back. I have seen and photographed one of them down near the second campsite where there are warning signs as such. That being said i'm not sure what this article is going on about other than one of them has obviously relocated itself to a popular swimming area which is not unusual as it is there habitat after all. I personally love the fact that there are an abundance of of wild life in there natural environment and that people should just abide, respect and use common sense when visiting the area

Edited by mylk

Salties are native to Thailand but of course Khao Yai would not be their natural habitat.

has it been positively ID'd as a hybrid?

I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to introduce hybrids into the wild - an eco-disaster waiting to happen. The hybrids are far more aggressve than the native species and future nterbreding would seem to be undesirable.

Edited by wilcopops

Salties are native to Thailand but of course Khao Yai would not be their natural habitat.

I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to introduce hybrids into the wild - an eco-disaster waiting to happen. The hybrids are far more aggressve than the native species and future nterbreding would seem to be undesirable.

Quote from wkipidea

"The saltwater crocodile was historically found throughout the South-east Asia but is now extinct throughout much of this range. This species has not been reported in the wild for decades in most of Indochina and is extinct in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and possibly Cambodia. The status of this species is critical within much of Myanmar, but there is a stable population of many large adults present in the Irrawaddy Delta.[38] It is probable that the only country in Indochina still harbouring wild populations of this species is Myanmar. Although saltwater crocodiles were once very common in the Mekong Delta (from where they disappeared in the 1980s) and other river systems"

Quote from wkipidea

"The saltwater crocodile was historically found throughout the South-east Asia but is now extinct throughout much of this range. This species has not been reported in the wild for decades in most of Indochina and is extinct in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and possibly Cambodia. The status of this species is critical within much of Myanmar, but there is a stable population of many large adults present in the Irrawaddy Delta.[38] It is probable that the only country in Indochina still harbouring wild populations of this species is Myanmar. Although saltwater crocodiles were once very common in the Mekong Delta (from where they disappeared in the 1980s) and other river systems"

There haven't been autoritative sightings for seeral decdes - this does not mean that it is extinct does it?

Part of the point I'm making is that it can happily survive in envirobnments in SE Asia and you missed out the Philippines.

these animals don't have passports and to say they aren't in Thailand anymore is a leap of faith.

The hybridization of this animal with the Siam croc (also critically endangered) is a potential eco disaster......... I would also question the wisdom of allowing a croc "used to humans" to roam free.......

Edited by wilcopops

I suspect that had this same croc run off with some tourists child, board members would be on here baying for blood claiming the authorities had known about the threat since 2009 and done nothing about it.

sometimes you just cant win.

... except placing several, highly visible signs warning about the crocodile. If you go there and fear for the safety of your children nobody will force you to tread the trail.

Nature has dangers, that is no reason to baby-proof it.

Edited by AleG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...