Khao Yai Crocodile Freaking Out Tourists: Thailand

webfact

Khao Yai crocodile freaking out tourists

By Coconuts Bangkok

cr.jpeg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Rangers are actively trying to catch a two-meter crocodile that has been spotted several times lurking by a waterfall at Khao Yai National Park.

With the New Year and holiday crowds approaching, wildlife protection authorities want to snag the croc before anyone gets hurt.

Theerapat Prayulasiddhi – the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department’s deputy chief – said that they had received many complaints about the reptile hanging out around Pa Kloi Mai waterfall.

The crocodile was first discovered and made headlines in 2009. Park rangers tried and failed to catch it at that point and gave up the search until now. [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/khao-yai-crocodile-freaking-out-tourists/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-24

footer_n.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this a true Siamese Crocodile, it should be a cause for celebration as these are critically endangered species and was previously thought to be extinct in Thailand. Therefore the tourists should be kept out and the area set aside as a protected zone. If it is just an crossbreed escapee from one of the skin farms than make a handbag out of it.

• Like 1

“First we need to find out whether it is a Thai crocodile. If it is, we might be able to return it to its likely original habitat such as Pang Sida National Park in Sa Kaeo province or send it to the wildlife breeding centre,” he said.

While they're checking its papers, I suggest an urine test for drugs - just in case..... rolleyes.gif

And paw prints taken for the database too!

• Like 1

If this a true Siamese Crocodile, it should be a cause for celebration as these are critically endangered species and was previously thought to be extinct in Thailand. Therefore the tourists should be kept out and the area set aside as a protected zone. If it is just an crossbreed escapee from one of the skin farms than make a handbag out of it.

Many moons ago I read in the other newspaper that we mustn't mention that the only crocs native to Thailand were in one of the rivers that run along the border with Myanmar and that they were in single numbers. If true then surely this croc is an escapee from a farm. Crocs lay lots of eggs so this is unlikely that this is an only child. AFAIK crocs in these parts have no natural predatory enemies although big crocs will kill and eat baby crocs.

Imagine that ???? A real wild animal in a Wildlife park...Heaven forbid...Not stuffed. Not in a tiny box. Not yet extinct. Not sold to the Chinese to cure all ills or give you a hard on.....

Morons, is the only word that springs to mind.......

"Imagine that ???? A real wild animal in a Wildlife park...Heaven forbid...Not stuffed. Not in a tiny box. Not yet extinct. Not sold to the Chinese to cure all ills or give you a hard on"......

Not Yet Anyway...IMO I hope the critter evades capture...

There is a difference between a wild animal park and a national park which is what khao yai is Edited by moe666
  • Like 1

hahahaha, obviously the rangers are not cash strapped if it is still there, if they needed extra cash it would be body parts and a suitcase(or nice boots/belt). Looks like they are getting their income supplements from somewhere else if they still havent caught it and relocated it to ahhh, a "safe" place in china.

I saw that croc once before when I was hiking from the second camp site to Haew Suwat waterfall. That hiking trail and Pai Kluai mai waterfall are rather boring. It's not worth going down there. Seeing the croc was cool, though. What made me smile was the fact that the warning sign for the croc was way past where the croc usually hangs out. So when you see the sign you're already out of danger. ;-)