Aussies Warned About Phuket Scamsters

webfact

Thai people simply do not look in the mirror. It does not happen. Zero in the way of introspection, or how can we improve, or what did we do wrong? The whole concept of 'face' is about avoiding the problem as a coward does.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my Samsung SIII

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand needs to wake up and smell the roses. The old days of ignoring problems and waiting for them to fade away are long gone.

Welcome to the internet days, where scams get broadcast around the world the following day after they occur. So at this point,

the best thing Thailand can do is to actually address some of the scams and end them. Or continue to have their faces rubbed

in crap via the international media. At this point I am amazed ANY tourists come to Phuket given all the recent bad publicity.....

Well the difference is that if you try to take your family to the beach in Australia for a few beers and a picnic the Riot police will show up. You wont be allowed to pitch a tent. No BBQs. No beer. No deck chairs, and someone from OH and S will show up because your beach towel isnt correctly laid out, you will have some pimply faced teenager lifeguard threataning to call the police. Another thing from my own personal opinions is there isnt that many beautiful women on Australian beaches. It looks like a reverse version of Pattaya. And the last time I took my Thai wife to Byron Bay, Bondi, the Gold Coast, Palm Beach to look at the 'most beautiful Australian beaches' my Thai wife said 'Mai Suay'. Funnily enough I agreed. Watego's beach what a shythole!!

But Aussies still yell ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi, and stil get drip fed the <deleted> that Australia is the best country in the world, my advice to my fellow Australians is to stay there. Behave like Americans and dont leave. Why would you want to? Its the best there isnt it?

Well you can't use the beaches on phuket either in the Kamala -Kata strip. The beach vendors and touts have their territories marked out with beach chairs taking over the best spots. However, the sewage and run off polluting the waters might compensate for some people if they have a feces fetish.

Thats why I swim at Nai Harn

Pattaya has deteriorated badly with the addition of up market shopping malls and too many 5* resorts attracting families which ruin the place. Bring back the good old days I say.

While wishing for the 'good old days', may one also ask for a modicum of the youthful vigour, which we also had in times-gone-by ? rolleyes.gif

But we digress, because this thread is about Phuket rather-than Pattaya, and I've given up holidaying in rip-off-Phuket, in disgust at the level of scamming there. Vote with your feet & your wallet !

I only mentioned Pattaya in response to another post, but didn't include Phuket as I haven't been there so long I don't know what is is like now. However, I'd imagine it's similar to Pattaya, but with worse scamming and cons.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that, and that I did indeed vote with my feet and wallet.

I have read nothing in the past 10 years that would induce me to go there again.

Yes and all the other scams as well go there at your own peril

i say, have been there for holidays and will not go back

only the newbies go there till they learn then i doubt most would go back

The difference between you guys and us residential expats is that we are NOT so bloody stupid !

That's what every victim thinks right up until it happens to them... They'll be avoiding the jet skis and motorcycle rentals, watching their goodies like a hawk, wearing their helmet and generally displaying that superior intellect, then wake up in a hospital wondering what just happened.

I have a very good suggestion to improve the image of Thailand. Kick out all the negative minds that keep on posting BS on this forum and others. Anyway, after reading their comments, I'm surprised they are still here. You will see the image of Thailand will definitively improve ....

There is no problem in or with Thailand. There are only a few problem with specific places, namely Phuket, some part of Pattaya and KSR. What do these places have in commun ? A huge amount of tourists and definitively not of the best kind.

I can't help but make a parallel with Amsterdam in Europe. The Dutch are not bad people, actually far from it. The bad reputation of Amsterdam is due to the huge number of European junkies who come there to take advantage of some of the most liberal minded people in Europe.

Same problem in Thailand. Don't change the Thais. Kick the druggies and the sexpats out and you will see how fast the country image will improve.

Edited by JurgenG

I have a very good suggestion to improve the image of Thailand. Kick out all the negative minds that keep on posting BS on this forum and others. Anyway, after reading their comments, I'm surprised they are still here. You will see the image of Thailand will definitively improve ....

There is no problem in or with Thailand. There are only a few problem with specific places, namely Phuket, some part of Pattaya and KSR. What do these places have in commun ? A huge amount of tourists and definitively not of the best kind.

I can't help but make a parallel with Amsterdam in Europe. The Dutch are not bad people, actually far from it. The bad reputation of Amsterdam is due to the huge number of European junkies who come there to take advantage of some of the most liberal minded people in Europe.

Same problem in Thailand. Don't change the Thais. Kick the druggies and the sexpats out and you will see how fast the country image will improve.

There are a multitude of things wrong with Thailand, and sexpats are by no means the worst, if at all.

Kick them out and nothing will change except there will be less tourists, less money coming in, less house building in Issan and a lot more destitute Thai women.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

No sexpats and druggies? there will be no-one left. Plus they are the most fun people

No sexpats and druggies? there will be no-one left. Plus they are the most fun people

Funny

Sure if you one of them .

I stayed for nearly 8 months in Phuket and enjoyed simple life but I can tell you once you get involved in nightlife or if you re not serious about driving or dont care about your motorbike or jet ski rental, you can be seriously and quickly in danger...

Check and never leave your drink far away wherever you go in nightlife...Phuket is just good enough now for a one time trip but not more...

I prefer to enjoy nightlife in Pattaya or in some places like Koh Chang, Huahine or smaller islands...I feel safer...

Sorry to say that but I dont see any reason to take me back to Phuket, the lost paradise...

• Like 1

So you really think that if you kick out the druggies and the sexpats the overall country image will change ???? Dream on whistling.gif ..........

I first came to Thailand 20 years ago when most of the people I met was "sexpats".There was scams and dishonest Thais then to,but nowadays they are rampant and in your face all the time,the only difference now that it is your average tourist who is being scammed and who is outnumbering sexpats 100-1.

It will also be funny to see how you can define a druggie and sexpat and then throw them out of LOS...and impossible and futile task.

So you really think that if you kick out the druggies and the sexpats the overall country image will change ???? Dream on whistling.gif ..........

I first came to Thailand 20 years ago when most of the people I met was "sexpats".There was scams and dishonest Thais then to,but nowadays they are rampant and in your face all the time,the only difference now that it is your average tourist who is being scammed and who is outnumbering sexpats 100-1.

It will also be funny to see how you can define a druggie and sexpat and then throw them out of LOS...and impossible and futile task.

If you COULD block sexpats, most of the bars would close and nightlife would become like Blackpool- not a happy prospect.

Feel free to block the druggies though, it would get rid of all those horrible "moon" parties.