Health Insurance For Long Term Abroad For Over 60's

jpinx

I've trawled TV for an answer and can only find health/accident insurance cover for under 60 years old. Does anyone have knowledge of insurance available for long term - maybe annually, for Thailand - maybe with adjoining countries, for older people?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try BUPA.

It's about 28,000 baht a year.

Some insurance companies will not touch over 60's due to the risks involved...if BUPA does insure over 60's...some how me thinks will be more than THB 28k p.a.

Edited by Soutpeel

BUPA's online quote ....

Personal details Change personal details Name Date of birth Age Gender Nationality Country of residence US Cover mickey mouse 19/11/1947 65 Male British United Kingdom No cover Your Worldwide Health Options plan

for cover starting on 24-Dec-2012 Change your options Worldwide Medical Insurance

(GBP 5,000.00 Deductible) GBP 2,318.54 Worldwide Medical Plus

(GBP 100.00 Deductible) No cover Worldwide Medicines and Equipment

(GBP 50.00 Deductible) No cover Worldwide Wellbeing

(GBP 0.00 Deductible) No cover Worldwide Evacuation

(GBP 0.00 Deductible) No cover Annual total GBP 2,318.54 Annual grand total : GBP 2,318.54 Annual grand total : GBP 2,318.54

Over 60 is going to be difficult and expensive, if you get a quote be sure you know exactly what you are paying for. Some only cover up to a fixed amount in cash, some for in patient and not out patient. The last time I looked it was 2500bts a month just to be shipped back to the UK.

On the other hand you could decide to just put a fixed amount in a savings account and hope for the best, maybe you can get an idea what likely costs of some hospital operations might cost to give you an idea of what to put away each month. Cataracts 6500, heart by pass 1.5m for starters.

Remember the older you get the bigger risk and the insurance companies will not think twice about terminating your contract even though you might have given them many subscriptions, money that you could have left to someone else.

Over 60 is going to be difficult and expensive, if you get a quote be sure you know exactly what you are paying for. Some only cover up to a fixed amount in cash, some for in patient and not out patient. The last time I looked it was 2500bts a month just to be shipped back to the UK.

On the other hand you could decide to just put a fixed amount in a savings account and hope for the best, maybe you can get an idea what likely costs of some hospital operations might cost to give you an idea of what to put away each month. Cataracts 6500, heart by pass 1.5m for starters.

Remember the older you get the bigger risk and the insurance companies will not think twice about terminating your contract even though you might have given them many subscriptions, money that you could have left to someone else.

I have a "slush fund" - actually a part of my interest earning pension nest-egg that I keep available at short notice. I've been lucky so far, but older age means more risk, so I thought I'd explore insurance. I take the points raised seriously, but I honestly can not justify the huge cost vs limited cover and multiple exclusions. Sad to say that the first major medical problem will probably see meeither in a box or getting a band-aid here and head for home - probably forever. :(

Never mind - such is life and today is a great day :D

• Like 2

I looked at this company:

https://www.nhcglobal.com/

They seem to offer a good package and will not kick you out once you are a customer.

However i did not investigate if they allow 60+ to become a new customer. (I am 48 and would go for a package that includes my wife and two kids).

According to their blurb -- Special conditions for acceptance if over 65 and special rates and exclusions. Same as others..... wink.png

Edited by jpinx

I took out BUPA at age 60, I am now 62 and my renewal premium for the Ruby plan (08RR) was 28,099 baht smile.png

Did another quote request on their website and got this for 5,000 quid excess and no repatriation... Mr donal d duck 14/02/1947 65 Male British United Kingdom No cover Your Worldwide Health Options plan

for cover starting on 24-Dec-2012 Change your options Mr donal d duck Worldwide Medical Insurance

(GBP 5,000.00 Deductible) GBP 2,318.54

That's about 115,000 baht per year :(

Edited by jpinx

I took out BUPA at age 60, I am now 62 and my renewal premium for the Ruby plan (08RR) was 28,099 baht smile.png

Interesting - is that only within Thailand, do you get repatriated to UK if needed?

I've read somewhere on TV that it might be worth looking at having two forms - the local (for example) BUPA and a medical evac only insurance police. I believe the latter are about but wouldn't have a clue how to find one.

Interesting - is that only within Thailand, do you get repatriated to UK if needed?

Sorry, I read the original quest as for local Health Insurance as oposed to Travel Insurance. sad.png

My price was Health Insurance for a Thailand resident.

Not a citizen of the UK cheesy.gif

IRAOZ

Well

Sorry, I read the original quest as for local Health Insurance as oposed to Travel Insurance. sad.png

My price was Health Insurance for a Thailand resident.

Not a citizen of the UK cheesy.gif

IRAOZ

Probably my bad for not explaining the details ;)

What's the comment about a UK passport holder on a tourist visa (extended) age 65 who wants basic health and accident cover? All I want is the hospital to be able to give me good treatment when I am unconscious from a road smash or coronary (or both) with repatriation to UK if the condition is serious or likely to be long-term.

I looked at this company:

https://www.nhcglobal.com/

They seem to offer a good package and will not kick you out once you are a customer.

However i did not investigate if they allow 60+ to become a new customer. (I am 48 and would go for a package that includes my wife and two kids).

No they wont kick you out just make the premiums so high that you jump ship, thats the way they do it to get you off their backs, wait and see, business is about making money, insurance companies are not there for the benefit of you and I, that is my experience in life and I have a few years on you, that they way it is belive it or not, its your money and its up to you, time will decide who was right.
  • Like 2

Neither on mine.

Already not seen adds for a few years. I understand the trick about raising prices.

So no solutions then, just go back to your own country and have healthcare on the government cost.

Seems very unfair but as a last resort it is good to fall back on.

Extra funds are intended for kids to inherit. If a illness gets you what do you do, use the extra funds (it is one of its uses), then sell car, house and land etc.

Probably yourself don't want to do that because everything you would have build up would be gone quick, but the kids and wife might do just to have you around a little longer. Difficult choice.

Well here in the US, and I turn 60 next year, I will be paying well over THB18,000..................PER MONTH! So given that Thailand, in the major metropolitan centers, has health care that is as good, if not better, than commonly found in the US, the costs are quite reasonable.

Well here in the US, and I turn 60 next year, I will be paying well over THB18,000..................PER MONTH! So given that Thailand, in the major metropolitan centers, has health care that is as good, if not better, than commonly found in the US, the costs are quite reasonable.

Yes, but you can pay it monthly and be free from catastrophic worry. In 5 years you will qualify for Medicare which will drop your costs a lot.

The problem with LOS is that as you get older you have no insurance, and then if something catastrophic happens you're on your own for who knows how much. Yes, health care is good and also cheap in LOS, but not so cheap if you have one or more major illnesses or accidents. As we get older I don't know the answers for that. It is my biggest concern about moving to LOS. It's the one thing I haven't figured out.

Yes, but you can pay it monthly and be free from catastrophic worry. In 5 years you will qualify for Medicare which will drop your costs a lot.

The problem with LOS is that as you get older you have no insurance, and then if something catastrophic happens you're on your own for who knows how much. Yes, health care is good and also cheap in LOS, but not so cheap if you have one or more major illnesses or accidents. As we get older I don't know the answers for that. It is my biggest concern about moving to LOS. It's the one thing I haven't figured out.

The problem is not with Thailand it is with you. There are thousands of older Americans who live in Thailand with no problems at all. We all figured it out. It is very difficult to learn how to swim never being sure you want to go in the water.smile.png

• Like 1

Did another quote request on their website and got this for 5,000 quid excess and no repatriation... Mr donal d duck 14/02/1947 65 Male British United Kingdom No cover Your Worldwide Health Options plan

for cover starting on 24-Dec-2012 Change your options Mr donal d duck Worldwide Medical Insurance

(GBP 5,000.00 Deductible) GBP 2,318.54

That's about 115,000 baht per year :(

As far as I can read the details of your quote, you have asked for one assuming you are resident in the UK. Are you not looking to retire in Thailand?

If that's the case, you will need to get a quote from BUPA Thailand. As far as I know, they have quite a few exclusions and sublimits, so be diligent when you compare their quote with others.

AFAIK, the Thai insurers break down into two basic categories:

1. those that won't cover you at all once you reach a certain advanced age, no matter how long you've been a policy holder of theirs.

2. those that will continue to cover you, sometimes supposedly for lifetime, but obviously raise their rates quite substantially as you get much older.

It's my impression that a lot of the Thai companies will write NEW coverage/policies for folks up to the age of about 60. But beyond 60, it seems to get much more difficult to find a Thai insurer that will start new medical coverage for you.

But as for the OP's comments above, there are various of the Thai banks and others that will offer pretty inexpensive medical ACCIDENT insurance, and I don't think they're fussy about age so much. That would be a way to cover your concerns about the road accident issue....but it's not going to help you in the event of a coronary, etc. The banks do it as an extra cost add-on for their account holders.

Pretty worthless for someone who has regular medical insurance. But might be useful for someone who's self-insured, or for someone who's out and traveling around a lot, and thus prone to the risks of road travel in Thailand.

AFAIK, the Thai insurers break down into two basic categories:

1. those that won't cover you at all once you reach a certain advanced age, no matter how long you've been a policy holder of theirs.

2. those that will continue to cover you, sometimes supposedly for lifetime, but obviously raise their rates quite substantially as you get much older.

It's my impression that a lot of the Thai companies will write NEW coverage/policies for folks up to the age of about 60. But beyond 60, it seems to get much more difficult to find a Thai insurer that will start new medical coverage for you.

But as for the OP's comments above, there are various of the Thai banks and others that will offer pretty inexpensive medical ACCIDENT insurance, and I don't think they're fussy about age so much. That would be a way to cover your concerns about the road accident issue....but it's not going to help you in the event of a coronary, etc. The banks do it as an extra cost add-on for their account holders.

Pretty worthless for someone who has regular medical insurance. But might be useful for someone who's self-insured, or for someone who's out and traveling around a lot, and thus prone to the risks of road travel in Thailand.

Interesting thought - covering accidents would be a start ;) Any suggestions other than Banks?

JP, various of the Thai insurers may offer those as standalone policies. But where I always see them is being offered by folks like Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial, etc....

You might also want to raise your question and needs with an English speaking Thai or farang insurance broker in Thailand. They're going to know the marketplace in terms of what's available.

Here's some info on what Siam Commercial offers:

http://www.scb.co.th...-life-insurance

BKK Bank offers cancer insurance:

http://www.bangkokba...Protection.aspx

And personal accident insurance, including policies for seniors:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/Bancassurance/Pages/PA1st.aspx

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If you are between the ages of 60 and 65 there are 4 companies in Thailand that will insure you. (5, if you include AXA IE)

If you enroll with Bupa at age 60, the coverage is renewable for life. If you enroll beteween the ages of 61 to 65 the coverage is renewable to age 70. You can't enroll with Bupa at age 66 or beyond.

One Thai owned company will allow you to enroll to age 65 and will insure you to age 80.

One Thai-based company from the USA will insure you for life, but, if you enroll at age 60 and above, you have to take a physical.

One Thai-based company out of New Zeland will insure you for life and won't require a physical.

If you are age 66 and older, only these last 2 Thai-based companies will insure you.

But, there are still a number of International companies you can still apply with.

• Like 1

Neither on mine.

Already not seen adds for a few years. I understand the trick about raising prices.

So no solutions then, just go back to your own country and have healthcare on the government cost.

Seems very unfair but as a last resort it is good to fall back on.

Extra funds are intended for kids to inherit. If a illness gets you what do you do, use the extra funds (it is one of its uses), then sell car, house and land etc.

Probably yourself don't want to do that because everything you would have build up would be gone quick, but the kids and wife might do just to have you around a little longer. Difficult choice.

Forget about leaving money to grandkids or whatever, let them work for whatever standard of living they want. Anyone who leaves inheritance to anyone in favour of themselves and their health is just plain stupid.