1-Year O-A "retirement" Multiple-Entry Visa - From Sydney

I was living in Coffs in April 2011 so applied by mail to the Brisbane consulate, for non-O A one year multi-entry. Had to send application form, passport, 2 4x6 cm photos, and evidence I had income/money in the bank (photocopy of term deposit) by registered mail. Basic cost was ~ $AUD200. Passport was returned in < 10 days, with visa. I made one telephone call about 9 days into the process to check on progress, female official to whom I spoke was very helpful.

[The first year is actually a multi-entry (every 90 days, have to do a border run). Towards the end of final 90 days, you can apply for the annual 'retirement' extension - 90 day reports are subsequently as easy as mailing in photocopies, not border runs or Immi Office visits].

Maybe even simpler in SYD, but the Brisbane Consulate had a very good reputation last year.

Good luck, AA

I was living in Coffs in April 2011 so applied by mail to the Brisbane consulate, for non-O A one year multi-entry. Had to send application form, passport, 2 4x6 cm photos, and evidence I had income/money in the bank (photocopy of term deposit) by registered mail. Basic cost was ~ $AUD200. Passport was returned in < 10 days, with visa. I made one telephone call about 9 days into the process to check on progress, female official to whom I spoke was very helpful.

[The first year is actually a multi-entry (every 90 days, have to do a border run). Towards the end of final 90 days, you can apply for the annual 'retirement' extension - 90 day reports are subsequently as easy as mailing in photocopies, not border runs or Immi Office visits].

Maybe even simpler in SYD, but the Brisbane Consulate had a very good reputation last year.

Good luck, AA

That is a non-O visa you are talking about. The OP is asking about an O-A visa, which is different.

Good luck, AA

That is a non-O visa you are talking about. The OP is asking about an O-A visa, which is different.

An O-A visa with multi-entry does not require you to do visa run. Within the period of the O-A visa, you can leave Thailand and re-enter without having to apply for a re-entry permit. Each time you enter Thailand you are allowed to stay for 1 year. In fact this is a 2-year visa, at the end of the first year, you can leave Thailand and re-enter on the last day. You will be given a 12-month stay. However, after the first year, you are required to apply for a re-entry permit each time you leave. Normal 90-days reporting is required as per normal.

pardon my ignorance, but OP sitta mentioned 'retirement' and I assumed there was a possible misconception of visa classifications here, hence posted some reasonably recent information concerning my experience, albeit not of the Sydney consulate. I am always prepared to be corrected, but maybe more important for someone to proffer advice to sitta. AA

pardon my ignorance, but OP sitta mentioned 'retirement' and I assumed there was a possible misconception of visa classifications here, hence posted some reasonably recent information concerning my experience, albeit not of the Sydney consulate. I am always prepared to be corrected, but maybe more important for someone to proffer advice to sitta. AA

Unfortunately you did not use the correct terminology so did need to be corrected.

There is huge current confusion already about the difference between an OA (retirement) visa and an extension of a 90-day O visa on the grounds of retirement, so every time someone posts that they got an OA visa when they didn't, it deepens the confusion.

You did NOT apply for, or get, an OA retirement visa. For this you would have needed a police and medical certificate.

• Like 1

Unfortunately you did not use the correct terminology so did need to be corrected.

There is huge current confusion already about the difference between an OA (retirement) visa and an extension of a 90-day O visa on the grounds of retirement, so every time someone posts that they got an OA visa when they didn't, it deepens the confusion.

You did NOT apply for, or get, an OA retirement visa. For this you would have needed a police and medical certificate.

The OP clearly stated that he would like to apply for a OA (retirement ) visa. He would also need to show either 800,000 THB in a Thai bank or 65k THB retirement income (pension?).

From thaiconsulatesydney.org web site: Non-Immigrant Visa

* A single-entry must be utilized befo 3 months from the date of issue.

* A multiple-entry visa must be used within 1 year from the date of issue.

When entering Thailand, the Immigration officer will grant a 90-day stay (possible for up to 1 year).

From Visa form -A: Non-Immigrant (stay up to 90 days per entry)

Single entry (AUD$90) Multiple entry (AUD$225); Retirement etc.

Nothing mentioned about O-A visa anywhere!

Edited by sitta

You will find a disparity between Embassies and Consulates on the information they provide about visas. The info you provided sounds like a Non-o visa which allows only an entrance of 90 days. Even a multiply non-o will require you to make a border run every 90 days. The O-A visa will give you a one year entry with reports to immigration every 90 days

From thaiconsulatesydney.org web site: Non-Immigrant Visa

* A single-entry must be utilized befo 3 months from the date of issue.

* A multiple-entry visa must be used within 1 year from the date of issue.

When entering Thailand, the Immigration officer will grant a 90-day stay (possible for up to 1 year).

From Visa form -A: Non-Immigrant (stay up to 90 days per entry)

Single entry (AUD$90) Multiple entry (AUD$225); Retirement etc.

Nothing mentioned about O-A visa anywhere!

You asked about O-A visa so not sure why you have posted this general information about non immigrant visas - full information is clearly listed on that web site under retirement visa (non immigrant O-A is what that is) option from this page after you select your country of passport:

http://www.thaiconsu...rg/english/visa

• Like 1

Good luck, AA

Ok, looks this type of visa is easy to apply & get and will be traveling to AUS and back frequently ( to see the children and bit of work to earn some money) this may be better option.

Cheers.

Also

lopburi3: thank u for pointing the correct link.