Special Food In Patts

expatsupreme

Ok, here are a few of my favorites (got plenty more). Sorry, dunno about vegan or un-hulled seeds, but Ron Pho market (Jomtien) has white and black raw sesame seeds... very inexpensive.

Dip- Thai Clam

Ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese

1 30-Baht clams (hoy lai)- shelled, chopped, sauce w/veggies reserved

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup sour cream

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 tsp thyme

1 head, roasted garlic (optional)

Preparation:

Soften cream cheese and add all ingredients. Add reserved clam sauce to get desired consistency of dip. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Serve with pita chips and potato chips.

Eggplant & Olive Dip

Ingredients:

1 eggplant

1 garlic head

1/2 cup (125 mL) kalamata olives, rinsed and pitted

3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil

2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped pitted olives

Preparation:

Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Cut top off garlic to expose cloves. Place both, cut side down, on greased baking sheet; roast @ 425°F (220°C) for 40 minutes, or until very tender. Let cool slightly.

Scoop eggplant flesh and squeeze out garlic into food processor. Add Kalamata olives and oil; purée. Transfer to small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 48 hours. Sprinkle with chopped olives.

Roasted Eggplant & Tahini Dip-

Ingredients:

700g eggplant (2 medium or 1 large)

1 garlic bulb, top sawed off

1/2 lemon, juiced

2 tablespoons tahini

1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

4 green onions, finely chopped

Salt & pepper, to taste

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place eggplant and garlic on tray. Roast for 45 to 60 minutes, until eggplant is soft. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
  2. Cut eggplant in half lengthways. Using a metal spoon, scoop out flesh onto a chopping board. Roughly chop. Transfer to a bowl.
  3. Into a small bowl, squeeze flesh from garlic. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice, tahini, 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt & pepper. Mash with a fork until well combined. Stir into eggplant with three-quarters of the green onion.
  4. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  5. Spoon dip into a bowl. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with remaining green onion.

Dip- Roasted Cauliflower & Sesame

Ingredients:

• 1 head(s) (2 pounds) of cauliflower, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) minced fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
  • Kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoon(s) tahini (sesame paste)
  • 3 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoon(s) chopped cilantro
  • Sesame seeds
  • Pita bread or chips, for serving

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower with the oil, ginger, and coriander and season with salt. Spread the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tender and lightly browned in spots. Let cool slightly.
  2. Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Add the tahini and lemon juice and pulse to a chunky puree; season with salt. Add the cilantro and pulse just until incorporated. Transfer the spread to a bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm with pita bread or chips.

I made dipp today

Added roasted sesame seeds, chickpeas, olive oil, little bit olive oil, cumin salt, chickpea water and it does not taste that good, I think I need to add eggplant roasted to the mix I guess, that would taste good I think

Also I forgot to add ginger, to get that lemony taste, hummus can taste different everytime depends on how much each ingredient is put inside

in austria you can buy hummus that is totaly white and with lemon taste

how can they make it white, my is yellow

I made dipp today

Added roasted sesame seeds, chickpeas, olive oil, little bit olive oil, cumin salt, chickpea water and it does not taste that good, I think I need to add eggplant roasted to the mix I guess, that would taste good I think

Also I forgot to add ginger, to get that lemony taste, hummus can taste different everytime depends on how much each ingredient is put inside

in austria you can buy hummus that is totaly white and with lemon taste

how can they make it white, my is yellow

You sound like a Thai bird. Why are you so caught up on how white something is. Normally in the food world, the whiter something is, the more processed it is.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1