Etiquette When Visiting A Thai Family

advancebooking

Agree with asking the girl.

However her being from a decent family , stayin in hotel is a must especially that you not even romantic yet.

If invited for dinner, bottle of either whisky or a nice wine is a must.

Do not think chocolates or flowers is a Thai thing but good wine or whisky is.

• Like 1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id perhaps take a box of chocolates (Cadburys of course) and some nice wine and perhaps flowers for her. Just because they are Thai, doesnt mean you should start buying gold. If its her Mum and Dads house, give her Mum the flowers. Trust me it, its worth more than giving them to her daughter.

Not sure about giving mum flowers, They might be a problem if she dosen't care for them. Ask your friend if you can bring some flowers and ask her for a recommendation for a nearby hotel.This way you will not be putting any undo pressure on the family they will know in advance where you are going to stay,

• Like 1

first is your gf mother living in chiangrai city or in the country? if she lives in the country then my advice would be stay in a hotel, because if you stay in the house then the neighbours will " GOSSIP" her and family and then this will make them lose face, because in my cultule when a man come to visit woman family it is like a promise of marriage ( engagement ).

talk with your gf first and know exactly what you are geting into, if it is going to be an engagement meeting then yes you will need to give your gf some gold and some money for parent as a deposit to show you intend to marry also you shoud pay for food and drink.

if it is NOT going to be engagement meeting then there is no need for any gift or money but you shoud be prepired to pay for food and drink

Why would you act in a manner that Thai people might when you are obviously not Thai?This thing about Farangs trying to act Thai just baffles me,are you going to be wearing a disguise that makes you look Thai?

Like in the James Bond film when Sean Connery is made to look Japanese?

OH i'm sorry i much be mistaken, i thought that because i am a woman and i was born here just over 30 years ago and went to thai school and university owner business and own land in thailand that this would make me thai.... now how long have you been here? 5 min farang an expert in all thing thai? wake up to your self!!!

if you think you know more about thai culture than me then i challenge you to prove your self and your expert knowledge of thai culture.

how many Thai girlfriends parents have you had to meet? Us farnangs do it a lot and have some experience gained in the university of life

Western life you mean. The biggest problem Westerners have when they move to Thailand is accepting that they are in a different culture and should respect it rather than change it too what is convenient for them.

I know people with double digit years still fighting the idea that they are right and the Thai's are wrong.

• Like 2

[<don't refuse any food or drink offered........>

Really! I never eat any of the food that my in laws offer, as I consider my health to be more important than eating red hot ( chillies ) inedible ( to me ) nauseating "food". Just the smell would make me vomit on them!

If they cared about me, they would ask my wife what I can eat and offer me that.

As for drink. I have learned that it is unwise to drink alcohol with Thais that become violent on the booze. So unless you know what they are like with a few down, not necessarily good advice.

As for the food, I would at least try some before refusing.

As for the alcohol, what a great way to find out if there are any hidden issues within the family wink.png

Don't have to try to know. This is "real" Thai food. not the stuff served up in tourist areas, and I can't eat chillies or bits of forest vegetation.

As for the alcohol, I found out when the chairs started flying, but not from anything I gave them. They always ask me to join them in a bottle, and I keep declining, with a smile, then I get out of the way.

I thought we were giving advice to the OP. Please continue though, as the OP seems to have disappeared.

Advice on a public forum isn't just for the OP, but for all those with a similar problem that are looking for advice.

In this case, two people said that we SHOULD eat/ try Thai food for whatever reason, and I was pointing out that it isn't always appropriate to eat the food that is offered, and IMO isn't required to do so. In fact, concientous hosts would find out first if their guest can eat what they are offering.

Being polite goes both ways.

Post modified to allow posting.

• Like 1

Why would you act in a manner that Thai people might when you are obviously not Thai?This thing about Farangs trying to act Thai just baffles me,are you going to be wearing a disguise that makes you look Thai?

OH i'm sorry i much be mistaken, i thought that because i am a woman and i was born here just over 30 years ago and went to thai school and university owner business and own land in thailand that this would make me thai.... now how long have you been here? 5 min farang an expert in all thing thai? wake up to your self!!!

if you think you know more about thai culture than me then i challenge you to prove your self and your expert knowledge of thai culture.

how many Thai girlfriends parents have you had to meet? Us farnangs do it a lot and have some experience gained in the university of life

Western life you mean. The biggest problem Westerners have when they move to Thailand is accepting that they are in a different culture and should respect it rather than change it too what is convenient for them.

I know people with double digit years still fighting the idea that they are right and the Thai's are wrong.

It all seems a bit heavy, to me.

My personal solution to the whole "meet the parents" of a Thai GF was to not meet them. I only did so after meeting my wife to be, and that was a year after we started living together.

As far as the OP is concerned, IMO far too soon be be playing that game, and if she insists, run.

Post modified to allow posting.

However her being from a decent family , stayin in hotel is a must especially that you not even romantic yet.

How would you ever tell if she was from a decent family?

PS

Thai villagers don't drink wine.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

If Thai girls want boyfriends with Thai manners, they should be dating Thai boys.

Why would anyone even want to meet the Thai family?

Especially if you are just using the girl for casual sex.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

PS

simply by what op said.

again by what op said they are clearly not villagersthumbsup.gif

PS

simply by what op said.

Yeh, but the OP clearly doesn't have a clue.

That's why he's asking us.

PS

simply by what op said.

Yeh, but the OP clearly doesn't have a clue.

That's why he's asking us.

he does not have a clue what to bring or what to expect, but from what i understood they are a well educated family

he does not have a clue what to bring or what to expect, but from what i understood they are a well educated family

Of course they are, thats why the OP is clueless, she Is so well educated that he has to seek the advice of total strangers on an anonymous forum, many of whom don't have a clue themselves considering they don't live in Thailand.

Why does he not ask her, advice from non residents is not needed as they are clueless, he should ask her !!

Of course they are, thats why the OP is clueless, she Is so well educated that he has to seek the advice of total strangers on an anonymous forum, many of whom don't have a clue themselves considering they don't live in Thailand.

Why does he not ask her, advice from non residents is not needed as they are clueless, he should ask her !!

As i stated in my earlier post that yes asking her is a good idea, however he may not feel comfortable to ask her to appear as fool.

I see no problem with OP asking for advice on Thai culture or etiquette on Thai Visa, perhaps those who do not know and do not live in Thailand should not be posting and responding to his question, but sadly then it would not be Thai Visa.

• Like 1

I'm the OP who raised this thread and I appreciate all the comments.

I find it amusing that some users (i.e. lovelaos) get annoyed that I have not made comments for while. Why would this bother you?- its a public forum and the information on this thread is for everyone not just me.

I respect the comments above from some of the thai members in particular. I am living in your country and your culture; and I wrote this thread so that I can be respectful to the girl and her family - if Im lucky enough to meet them.

I'm the OP who raised this thread and I appreciate all the comments.

I find it amusing that some users (i.e. lovelaos) get annoyed that I have not made comments for while. Why would this bother you?- its a public forum and the information on this thread is for everyone not just me.

I respect the comments above from some of the thai members in particular. I am living in your country and your culture; and I wrote this thread so that I can be respectful to the girl and her family - if Im lucky enough to meet them.

Couple of things arise from your post.

First of all, I support lovelaos with the comment.

There is an element of responsibility starting a thread as an OP and a lot of people 'spend' their good time and years of experience to reply to you.

Sure, it's a public Forum and you will get a 'spectrum' of answers ... some direct to the point ... some maybe less then usefull.

But do you really ask the original question to educate others ... or to seek an answer for yourself?

My Thai girlfriend also invested her time to reply to you ... and you don't get any better experience then that. It's been the most popular comment yet.

Have you thanked anyone yet for their time spent?

We all wish you good luck with your ventures and maybe, once you have visited, you revisit this thread and reply to us what experiences or advices you found usefull ... thumbsup.gif

Well said Dave thumbsup.gif , I advise on tyre pressures but only get flack back. cheesy.gif .....smile.png

Stay in a hotel or guest house as your relationship is not anywhere near ready for prime time, that is staying at the family home. Bring a fruit plate, no money, no booze. If they do drink, then volunteer to go out and buy the next bottle at the local store as unlike Bangkok, up north they still favor the traditional Thai booze like Sangsom. Be wary, but have a good time as most Khon Muang people are an easy going lot. And enjoy the area around Chiang Rai and go have a lunch up around Chiang Saen or Mae Salomg.

first is your gf mother living in chiangrai city or in the country? if she lives in the country then my advice would be stay in a hotel, because if you stay in the house then the neighbours will " GOSSIP" her and family and then this will make them lose face, because in my cultule when a man come to visit woman family it is like a promise of marriage ( engagement ).

talk with your gf first and know exactly what you are geting into, if it is going to be an engagement meeting then yes you will need to give your gf some gold and some money for parent as a deposit to show you intend to marry also you shoud pay for food and drink.

if it is NOT going to be engagement meeting then there is no need for any gift or money but you shoud be prepired to pay for food and drink

answer your question is " ONE " ,,, next?

If Thai girls want boyfriends with Thai manners, they should be dating Thai boys.

Why would anyone even want to meet the Thai family?

Especially if you are just using the girl for casual sex.

Very well said. If a Thai girl is dating a farang, why in the world would they expect him to behave like a Thai?

There is a difference between being respectful of Thai customs ie don't present the sole of your shoe to the parents, and throwing gifts and money at the family. Of course, if that is what you do back home, by all means do so here.

<Why would anyone even want to meet the Thai family?>

Never a truer sentence written. I'd be quite happy to never see my extended Thai family again.

• Like 1

One thing l do not do is take my shoes off in another house where the toilet is inside and the floor is water logged, shower in the toilet, cos l wear socks if out. But, l always tell the host l am sorry about the shoes, they smile a no problem. My Mrs says they understand, your a farang and are different. thumbsup.gif

One thing l do not do is take my shoes off in another house where the toilet is inside and the floor is water logged, shower in the toilet, cos l wear socks if out. But, l always tell the host l am sorry about the shoes, they smile a no problem. My Mrs says they understand, your a farang and are different. thumbsup.gif

I would make you take your socks off also.

Seems logical.

Seems logical.

And show massive cultural sensitivity.

and ingrown toenails,

and carbunkles,

and...