B10,500++ Compulsory Nye Dinner. A Record?

Cleveland

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you call 'whinging' is pure ignorance on your part and reflects your tunnel vision and brianwashed mindset. Sorry for these words.

I stopped reading your reply after this. Don't flame me and then apologize. Just don't do it.

It's plain greed and obsession with maximizing revenues for that one night...it is a trend and a given at almost all hotels and resorts nationwide. I am sure this practice is prevalent upcountry but not so sure about all Bangkok hotels. Hotels essentially sell you the room night for 31st at the room tariff plus a fee (meant to be for the gala dinner) so that you can celbrate NYE at the property. Can be made to sound like a nice service gesture...only trouble is the fee is exhorbitant and irrational and also they force you to pay that (which is pathetic) - basically, you either pay this much for the room (dinner included) or you go find another hotel.

Bangkok riverside hotels do charge a premium for NYE dinner as they jointly organize the fireworks on the river....all the same, the dinner charges are disproportionately high.... but as long as there's a market for it, who's to say it's very high...

The islands and other resorts' practice of forcibly charging you for "Gala dinner" is indeed sad and needless.... if a family is on holiday from around christmas time to New year, they have to fork out a lot of money just for the night of 31st...the option of changing hotels in the middle of your holiday is cumbersome and difficult. Hotels take advantage of this and try to come across as smug and doing you a 'favour'... not sure how this might change anytime soon... the government interfering might be the only way...

What a lot of whinging about a service you obviously cannot afford.

It's called business. It has nothing to do with greed and obsession. If they have the customers willing to pay that level for special festivities then that is sound business practice. They've priced it to a market which exists and they're taping into it.

@ Tropo, I have worked at a five star Bangkok hotel in senior management for around 14 years without a break...I was directly involved with food and beverage and also with monitoring and maximizing covers and revenues. So, I am an insider and have more than "been able to afford it"... I know how the hoteliers' minds work (I have been one myself). What you call 'whinging' is pure ignorance on your part and reflects your tunnel vision and brianwashed mindset. Sorry for these words. To force a customer to pay for an overpriced meal is not 'business', it's a rip off simply because you catch the customer off guard and there is a coterie or caucus/cartel out there that encourages this type of monopolistic behaviour. Sure, there is a market for it and I have personally splurged a lot on NYE dinners in Bangkok over the years. I had a good time too with family. But I will still speak up against the practice of forcing a room guest to pay for a meal he might not be inetrested in. Try booking any hotel in Phuket or Samui or Hua Hin for the night of 31st and expereince for yourself how the rooms reservations officer explains and 'sells' you the 'room'. There is no "SERVICE' in this behaviour as you are trying to imply. If as a customer this is the type of "Service" you are happy to pay for then it's truly your own loss.

Anyhow, all a matter of personal perspectives. Nobody here is breaking any laws or violating any legal codes. The issue is what type of memory of your brand or service you leave your customers with if you bully them into paying for a dinner simply because they need a roof and a bed.

Happy new year to you and your loved ones.

Besides, if hotels are noly 'tapping into' an existing market for such 'service and festivities' as you say, then why is it that they have to force room guests to pay up for the dinner or get out ? How come happy customers are not queing up for these resorts' NYE dinners ? I can tell you without hesitation that more than 60 % of the covers at these dinners for upcountry hotels comprise of inhouse guests who were not given a choice....

We went to the Hard Rock a couple of years ago and the the nett price of their compulsory NYE dinner was 7500, it was just about ok and you had to chase them up for drinks.

The free flow didn't carry onto the festivities by the pool where they were charging high prices for drinks and even frisking people to ensure they didn't bring drinks with them - I thought that was a disgrace.

We are staying at the Hard Rock over Christmas, and I noticed the compulsory NYE dinner is now 8,500++ and the free flow drinks has been replaced by only two drinks.

I wonder how many customers they actually drive away.

So you don't learn very quick, then. tongue.png

I don't learn very quick?

Maybe I'm a bit slow but I don't understand your reply, would you be kind enough to enlighten me?

Heh, heh! I was just having a little joke at your expense - nothing mean intended, but it did read like you went once to Hard Rock and it was expensive and the drinks were not easy to get. And then you went back again, and it was even more expensive with less free drinks! biggrin.png

But I do agree with you that it was quite unnecessary for "theprofessional" to take my little joke and turn it into a lot more like an insult or flame. There was no need for that.

What you call 'whinging' is pure ignorance on your part and reflects your tunnel vision and brianwashed mindset. Sorry for these words.

I stopped reading your reply after this. Don't flame me and then apologize. Just don't do it.

then what gives you the right to state that I am 'whinging' for a service "i cannot afford"... if you are so sensitive to somebody labeling you why do you take the liberty to label others wthout any clue about them. No personal offence to you. Allow me to say that in the future don;t label people with adjectives or categirize them such and such when you yourself do not appreciate being subject to such labeling. Happy new year in advance

It's plain greed and obsession with maximizing revenues for that one night...it is a trend and a given at almost all hotels and resorts nationwide. I am sure this practice is prevalent upcountry but not so sure about all Bangkok hotels. Hotels essentially sell you the room night for 31st at the room tariff plus a fee (meant to be for the gala dinner) so that you can celbrate NYE at the property. Can be made to sound like a nice service gesture...only trouble is the fee is exhorbitant and irrational and also they force you to pay that (which is pathetic) - basically, you either pay this much for the room (dinner included) or you go find another hotel.

Bangkok riverside hotels do charge a premium for NYE dinner as they jointly organize the fireworks on the river....all the same, the dinner charges are disproportionately high.... but as long as there's a market for it, who's to say it's very high...

The islands and other resorts' practice of forcibly charging you for "Gala dinner" is indeed sad and needless.... if a family is on holiday from around christmas time to New year, they have to fork out a lot of money just for the night of 31st...the option of changing hotels in the middle of your holiday is cumbersome and difficult. Hotels take advantage of this and try to come across as smug and doing you a 'favour'... not sure how this might change anytime soon... the government interfering might be the only way...

What a lot of whinging about a service you obviously cannot afford.

It's called business. It has nothing to do with greed and obsession. If they have the customers willing to pay that level for special festivities then that is sound business practice. They've priced it to a market which exists and they're taping into it.

@ Tropo, I have worked at a five star Bangkok hotel in senior management for around 14 years without a break...I was directly involved with food and beverage and also with monitoring and maximizing covers and revenues. So, I am an insider and have more than "been able to afford it"... I know how the hoteliers' minds work (I have been one myself). What you call 'whinging' is pure ignorance on your part and reflects your tunnel vision and brianwashed mindset. Sorry for these words. To force a customer to pay for an overpriced meal is not 'business', it's a rip off simply because you catch the customer off guard and there is a coterie or caucus/cartel out there that encourages this type of monopolistic behaviour. Sure, there is a market for it and I have personally splurged a lot on NYE dinners in Bangkok over the years. I had a good time too with family. But I will still speak up against the practice of forcing a room guest to pay for a meal he might not be inetrested in. Try booking any hotel in Phuket or Samui or Hua Hin for the night of 31st and expereince for yourself how the rooms reservations officer explains and 'sells' you the 'room'. There is no "SERVICE' in this behaviour as you are trying to imply. If as a customer this is the type of "Service" you are happy to pay for then it's truly your own loss.

Anyhow, all a matter of personal perspectives. Nobody here is breaking any laws or violating any legal codes. The issue is what type of memory of your brand or service you leave your customers with if you bully them into paying for a dinner simply because they need a roof and a bed.

Happy new year to you and your loved ones.

Thanks for your honest view as an insider. From my perspective it looms ike certel behaviour, price fixing and gouging at its ugliest. The only point you made that I disagree with is when you says its legal. In most countries price fixing is surely illegal and in the West violators can be jailed. Bt this is Thailand as they say where laws of the civilised world don't appear to apply. But what makes it even the more amazing is that it is also the Western chains with their snouts in the trough.

Thanks for your honest view as an insider. From my perspective it looms ike certel behaviour, price fixing and gouging at its ugliest. The only point you made that I disagree with is when you says its legal. In most countries price fixing is surely illegal and in the West violators can be jailed. Bt this is Thailand as they say where laws of the civilised world don't appear to apply. But what makes it even the more amazing is that it is also the Western chains with their snouts in the trough.

But it's not price fixing. The hotels are acting independently. There are thousands of hotels that you can choose from that aren't having a NYE event.

It's certainly a rip off, but it's the same for a lot of restaurants and bars on NYE (and also Christmas).

Tesco Lotus has boneless chicken breasts on sale for 69B a kilo, spuds for 35B a kilo, myriad 50% off fruits, and one can have fireworks go off in ones 600B room for 500B.biggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.png

Anything else would be uncivilized.laugh.png

:-)) cannot disagree with you here...:-) have a good new year's eve party...cheers...

We went to the Hard Rock a couple of years ago and the the nett price of their compulsory NYE dinner was 7500, it was just about ok and you had to chase them up for drinks.

The free flow didn't carry onto the festivities by the pool where they were charging high prices for drinks and even frisking people to ensure they didn't bring drinks with them - I thought that was a disgrace.

We are staying at the Hard Rock over Christmas, and I noticed the compulsory NYE dinner is now 8,500++ and the free flow drinks has been replaced by only two drinks.

I wonder how many customers they actually drive away.

Well they have not driven this customer away but for obvious reasons in my case. I booked 12 nights over Christmas and the New Year for 2 adults and 2 kids in a two bed Kids Club sea view suite including full club benefits for the princely sum of around 14,000 THB net. The News Year dinner alone costs more than that for 2 people.

Hats off to the Hard Rock who have honoured what was a mistake prepaid rate in full.Not a mention of the mistake when checking in and being treated like a ''rock star'' as per the name given to the special rate I booked. A quality act on their part I must say! thumbsup.gif

Also no mention of having to pay for any compulsory new years bash as there were no conditions attached to the booking.However should the dinner really turn out to be compulsory and included under my prepaid 1000 thb ++ rate then I will of course reluctantly make an appearence tongue.png

Edited by brizzle

@ brizzle We were there for three nights, returned home today, had a good time. If I'd have known you were in residence, you could have brought me drink :-)

Yes indeed ...but bear in mind that although only one little r is involved ''brought'' and '' bought'' are two entirely different things....!

Joking aside ..of course I would have bought you a drink...but only after the 5 pm happy hour watershed of course.smile.png

..... being treated like a ''rock star'' as per the name given to the special rate I booked.

14K for 12 nights for 2+2 people over the holiday season certainly isn't a bad price. Breakfast included?

But what exactly is the "rock star" treatment? The mind boggles.

Breakfast included along with all club benfits such as cocktail hours with free nibbles etc.Free internet and movie package,free laundry,free kids club etc etc.

The ''Rock Star'' rate is a rather tongue in cheek way of saying that this is a way a Rock Star lives with all the perks.I'm not sure if it also allows me to smash up my suite before I leave though??? laugh.png According to my conditions I should also get 1000 thb of resort credit but due to my silly rate we shall have to see if they actually let that happen....no complaints from me whatever the outcome.thumbsup.gif

Edited by brizzle

..... being treated like a ''rock star'' as per the name given to the special rate I booked.

14K for 12 nights for 2+2 people over the holiday season certainly isn't a bad price. Breakfast included?

Breakfast included along with all club benfits such as cocktail hours with free nibbles etc.Free internet and movie package,free laundry,free kids club etc etc.

The ''Rock Star'' rate is a rather tongue in cheek way of saying that this is a way a Rock Star lives with all the perks.I'm not sure if it also allows me to smash up my suite before I leave though??? laugh.png According to my conditions I should also get 1000 thb of resort credit but due to my silly rate we shall have to see if they actually let that happen....no complaints from me whatever the outcome.thumbsup.gif

But new years eve is still 3 days away biggrin.png

The point is not about those that want to splurge for an expensive event on NYE. The point is that travelers that are booked into the hotel will be forced (not offered) to pay for something that they might not even want to partake in just so they have a bed to sleep in for that particular evening.

If the party was optional then I don't see this being an issue for complaints. But it's COMPULSORY for all guests whether you intend to attend or not. Whether you have been staying at the hotel for the past week or you are just checking in for that one night.

It's basically a tax that is being added to the bills of all guests for that one night. You can call it what you want but I call it unnecessary greed. If not, they wouldn't make it compulsory. What do you expect families that don't feel the need to participate in the gala to do? Check out and find another hotel for the night? Or I guess this is a warning for all future travelers that might be considering Pattaya for their NYE destination. Be prepared to be overcharged. If not prepared for it, find a different destination (Tokyo sounds nice) or stay home. Only the likes of D Trump will be welcomed here these days.

The compulsory party is optional. If people don't like the idea they don't book the hotel. That's pretty simple. They know the charges, they know the deal. Take it or leave it.

This is just part and parcel of the hotel business. They have an opportunity to make some money and that's their duty to shareholders.

I don't think too many people who stay in 5 star hotels at New Year are bothered by the cost of the party and enjoy the occasion. Budget travelers don't book into 5 star hotels at New Year.

I stay at five star hotels, but find the compulsory gala dinner a joke and have always negotiated my way around it or made alternate plans. I refuse to pay 7-10k for a buffet dinner the hotel usually charges 1k for. Best approach was to get the hotel to agree to have me pay for the gala dinner, not attend, and receive a credit in the amount of the dinner toward dining at the hotel restaurants and bars at the hotel. Works out fine if staying for a week. Otherwise, just change hotels for the night. Not a big hassle if you travel light. Just have to plan accordingly. I do agree that the compulsory nature of these things is BS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

stay at five star hotels, but find the compulsory gala dinner a joke and have always negotiated my way around it or made alternate plans. I refuse to pay 7-10k for a buffet dinner the hotel usually charges 1k for. Best approach was to get the hotel to agree to have me pay for the gala dinner, not attend, and receive a credit in the amount of the dinner toward dining at the hotel restaurants and bars at the hotel. Works out fine if staying for a week. Otherwise, just change hotels for the night. Not a big hassle if you travel light. Just have to plan accordingly. I do agree that the compulsory nature of these things is BS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Once had to offer simply not to check in due to some Xmas / NYE gouging attempt and once had it applied to my account in error. In fact, I have found the top line international hotels to be quite understanding of your requests in this regard whereas some of the more pretentious "boutique" or Asian ownership (read Chinese / Chinese Thai) hotels don't actually have anyone available with sufficient gravitas to sidestep such a charge.

The receptionist blows you and you get to trash the room free of charge.