Complications In Thailand?.......

theblether

DONT under any circumstances buy a property. Renting is the way to go. Its cheap and you can move when some idiot decides to build a noisy ice factory next to your house, or a lady boy bar or an all night kareoke or something equally annoying

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif You have to learn to adapt yourself to Thailand and learn to relax.

i mean this sincerely ... especially for Brits and "type A" personalities who demand immediate solutions to every problem,

Thailand just doesn't work that way.

Not always, but most times, there is a compromise solution to a problem, and if you are listening to what the Thai who is your "problem" is actually saying you can use usually arrive at that solution that is satisfying to both sides.

But time and time again i hear foriegners argueing with Thai officials that THEY (the government officials) must do it the way the applicant wants, No compromise is possible because I took a whole afternoon off to get this visa change done and YOU must therefore do it today.

Even though it's now 2:30 and the office closes at 3:00, I'm here now and you need to serve me NOW,

At least that's the attitde of to many foriegners.

Usually, that attitude gets them nowhere, in fact, it just means the government official usually makes more problems for such noisy and argumentive a--holes.

For some reason, Brits seem to be particularly prone to trying to argue the way through roadblocks by insisting on there own way of doing things .... they know mor than any Thai because they are naturakky superior to the Thais ... at least they give that immpression.

This gets them absolutely nowhere with government officials .... especially immigration.

So the first rule I would stress is this:

there are always roadblocks and delays. But, for god's sake, learn to smile and relax. There's always a compromise soltion that you can agree with.

Smile, don't bluster and argue pointlessly, and often youand the other Thai person can reach that compromise.

Just relax, it will usually all work out, if you stay cool and collected.

whistling.gif

The crazy thing is that the bureaucracies and government officals in most western countries are 10 times worse than most of the government officals in Thailand. Given this, not sure where any of these foreigners would get into the habit to think that they could push around or mouth off to government officials.

I am originally from the US and have heard countless stories about US Bureaucrats on a power trip...

Maybe its just that foreigners don't normally need to deal with Bureaucrats very often in their own countries.

Make sure you get yourself in good physical condition before traveling.

So many overweight foreigners here ... Thailand doesn't need any more.

There are no excuses for being overweight and, when your old clothes are worn and you wish to buy new ... there are no sizes for you in the usual department stores ... whistling.gif ... is being fat really a choice?

• Like 2

Health insurance? Expats coming over here with typical older age chronic medical conditions such as high blood pressure on medications will have a very hard time buying any private health insurance that covers for any connection to cardiovascular disease (as one common example). Before I moved over here, I was led to have the impression talking to expats that getting insurance was looser here than in the U.S. (pre-Obamacare). I don't think so. In other words, what is the real value of insurance that excludes the expensive and serious conditions that you personally are most likely to get? This situation wasn't culture shock to me coming from pre-Obamacare USA but I think it would be for people from countries that provide medical cover for all citizens. Living here long term, the health insurance access and recently inflated medical costs in Thailand issue are the main things that would motivate me to leave Thailand (if the situation doesn't kill me first). To "self insure" in other words to have a pot of money and/or credit available instead of good insurance which may be impossible to obtain involves a much bigger pot of money than many people realize. I think for retirees this health care issue is ultimately a much bigger deal than issues like buying vs. renting.

Ya I got all those problems. I go to a better than Western hospital here once a month for a checkup 500 to 1500 baht depending on lab work. The hospital has a new cath lab and all new equipment for testing. Top quality doctors and nursing staff. Never a wait and when I'm done the nurse calls me a cab door to door service. The nurses bring me green tea in the waiting room and the lady who takes the blood is so good I never feel the jab. The doctor prescribes generic drugs when possible. So it costs me about 2 or 3 thousand baht more than it would in the States where I got the pills from the VA because the Army poisoned me 40 years ago. I think it's worth it. I never trusted the Army after they tried to kill me anyway (actually they did kill me, I just haven't died yet).smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 2

Just a few but there are many:

1. Being impatient.

2. Thinking close to certain tourist places would be a nice place to live.

3. Believing other foreigners advice.

4. Counting on a good exchange rate.

5. Using a lawyer.

6. Thinking that Thai experts know about their job

7. Buy cheap stuff

Without the details:

1. Made some silly decision while not having all the info. Now learned to be very very patient.

2. Samui... brrrr

3. 90 year rent is no problem, why not start a company for buying land etc... Barstool wisdom!

4. That caused living a year very very frugally.

5. Made things more complicated then it was, caused by my own lack of knowledge. Most lawyers have their own set of believes that do not concur with Thai law but only the loopholes that are actually not there.

6. Even when a Thai tradesman does his job for over 20 years, the probability he does most things wrong is 99%

7. Thinking that saving a few baht would be good (caused by point 4 but got stuck in it), it actually minimizes lives pleasure.

• Like 2

Over the years the most frustrating thing is trying to get the truth and also a straight answer. That is the truth as we understand it. Thai truth is not the same thing. Getting straight answers to may things from a Thai is difficult.

In both scenarios I have discovered it is always best to double check.

Who cares about the truth or straight answers anymore?

Learn to relax and not take anything too seriously.

Can't comment on retiring in Thailand but as others have said Thailand varies largely in different areas.

Some love Pattaya and some love Issan, although they could be in different countries. Don't settle down too soon until you know the area right for you.

Forget western time and ways and arrive with an open mind.

• Like 1

You've just been sentenced to death by firing squad for carrying illegal drugs found in your luggage.

At what point do you smile and relax?

You've just been sentenced to death by firing squad for carrying illegal drugs found in your luggage.

At what point do you smile and relax?

I would have paid the bribe long before it got to that stage.

Only honest people get shot in Asia.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

If the girl is good in bed, it doesn't mean she likes you.

I no understand you thinking.

do that mean if you bad in bed, you like her.

you have funny thinking ... 555

MissFarm Girl.... Andrew is incapable of sensible thought, so do not worry about this post, he is just trolling, as usual. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Never buy or rent anything in a Thai nationals name.

It may seem like a good idea at the time, but it isn't.

Only if they see you as a gullible farang to be fleeced.

If it's a family member you trust and have had a long- term relationship with, then it makes sense.

If you've been here for a number of years and still don't know any Thais you can fully trust then it's time to think about leaving.

Don't just think about it. Do it. Leave. The sooner the better.

Dysfunctional losers who can't even trust their own families are as out of place in Thailand as they would be anywhere else.

• Like 1

Over the years the most frustrating thing is trying to get the truth and also a straight answer. That is the truth as we understand it. Thai truth is not the same thing. Getting straight answers to may things from a Thai is difficult.

Maybe you don't give a monkey's any longer but to me a bit of truth can go a long way in any relationships. And I'd rather have a straight answer.

Maybe you don't give a monkey's any longer but to me a bit of truth can go a long way in any relationships. And I'd rather have a straight answer.

Have YOU ever had a straight answer ? I've not. sad.png
  • Like 2

There are no excuses for being overweight and, when your old clothes are worn and you wish to buy new ... there are no sizes for you in the usual department stores ... whistling.gif ... is being fat really a choice?

Oh of course there are! Mah Boon Khrong Center, Bangkok (MBK), 6 th floor. Just start feeling well in all that glibber and don't listen to these extra slim carbosaturated Joes trying to make you feel bad . . .

Oh of course there are! Mah Boon Khrong Center, Bangkok (MBK), 6 th floor. Just start feeling well in all that glibber and don't listen to these extra slim carbosaturated Joes trying to make you feel bad . . .

Be fat if you like its a choice if you like it be it, but don't complain about it. I have no problem with fat guys at all just the ones complaining about their weight while they are the only ones who can change it.

Have YOU ever had a straight answer ? I've not. sad.png

Thai + straight answer = dream

Are you seriously saying that being Thai is some kind of barrier to giving a straight answer?

Or is it the Thais you are mixing with?

First thing they should do is take Thai language lessons... would recomend 2 hours a day, 5 days a week for at least a few months, then maybe pull it back to at least a few times a week for the next 6-9 months.

As once you can speak passable Thai a whole lot of things become easier and a whole lot less frustrating.

The funny thing is, once you can speak good Thai, you will start to notice that things really ain't that much different here then anywhere else in the world...

Once you get out of the bars and tourist areas, Thais are mostly just normal folks going through life trying to better themselves in the rat race and trying to provide best possible future for their kids that they can afford...

Also don't believe it if anyone makes some outragous claim about having to pay or do something that doesn't make much sense or feels wrong to you, as it is "Thai Culture".

As once you get outside "the scam zone", it really ain't like that... and the sooner you can speak Thai, the less time you will be spending in "the scam zone".

I dont speak Thai but i see where you are coming from about being able or putting the efforti nto speaking Thai.

people who aew wasuly frustrated would be anywhere so just relax and enjoy the sunshine and the mosquitoes.

Thailand to me is like Scotland 30 years ago or even today.I Peole doing shitty jobs for little or no money having a good drink with there mates after work

going home to the wife and kids/Talking to their wives and kids

go to bed get up g to work

simple no scams just good hard workinh honest people who speak a different language

,.Knowing the language can also lead to your understanding of how much shit the average peson speak,only need to look at Thai tv to see that but that is another story

Being friends of the blether i,m sure they have their heids screwed on the right way