Complications In Thailand?.......

theblether

Ho-hum..... Here's another potentially very useful thread turning into rat's-mess. Why do some people always find the urge to belittle and abuse all thingsThai so totally irresistible? It is feasible that some of the points raised might have been valid, but some posters are unable to phrase their frustrations in such a way as to explain them adequately. The excuse of english not being one's native tongue does not apply here, because said poster seem to have mastered abusive english all too well.

C'mon guys, we've all left the school yard behind. Give it a rest, eh?

(Happy New year, by the way wai.gif ...... except the abusive ones...youse can get it right up ya cheesy.gif )

Rant over tongue.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inability to SPEAK even a single sentence in another language no longer they have in school is a point that is FAIRLY stated against The Japanese and the Japanese school system.

Tanaka being a Japanese name Just wondering who he is talking about as on a whole i dont think the amount of time that Thais learn English in school and the amount of time Japanese learn in and at after school English classes is even remotely comparable and in general the level of English is much higher here in Thailand than in Japan

And what language might this be?

• Like 1

Never buy or rent anything in a Thai nationals name.

It may seem like a good idea at the time, but it isn't.

Only if they see you as a gullible farang to be fleeced.

If it's a family member you trust and have had a long- term relationship with, then it makes sense.

Its not the gullible farang

Its the other poaching family members who dont give a sh*te about the farang because thai family blood is thicker than any water

Wow, what an attitude. Have you ever thought it might be because you married into a dysfunctional family?

Are you suggesting that all Thai family members don't care about their son/brother - in - law? I get a strong feeling that mine do. I'm visiting the family home today and meeting with all the family who come from around the country. I've been doing this NY routine for 13 years and they are like, well family. We have been through a lot together, good and bad, and trust them totally.

I have been visiting my inlaws in Thailand for twenty years. Some of my inlaws have issues, but that is not different than my own family members in the USA. My inlaws in Thailand are part of my family. Everyone has a slightly different situation, you need to be smart enough to know what is going on around you. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, not all Thai inlaws are out to take all your money and treat you like a walking ATM.

Wow, what an attitude. Have you ever thought it might be because you married into a dysfunctional family?

Are you suggesting that all Thai family members don't care about their son/brother - in - law? I get a strong feeling that mine do. I'm visiting the family home today and meeting with all the family who come from around the country. I've been doing this NY routine for 13 years and they are like, well family. We have been through a lot together, good and bad, and trust them totally.

Who pays the bill?

I'm guessing you!

The sheer stupidity you are met with all the time. The inability to speak even a single sentence in another language no matter how long they have in school. The total lack of empathy, the lazyness ang ignorance at all levels in society. The curroption. The criminals in brown uniforms. I stop here.

Have you tried Burma. I hear there are more English speaking people there.

The sheer stupidity you are met with all the time. The inability to speak even a single sentence in another language no matter how long they have in school. The total lack of empathy, the lazyness ang ignorance at all levels in society. The curroption. The criminals in brown uniforms. I stop here. were as wrong as the expression of them was

Why stop?

Why not continue right on to the airport and go home where you belong?

That comment is so infantile and ignorant it does not render a reply.

I'm sorry my post failed to please.

I was trying to reply concisely to your opinions that were as wrong as the expression of them was comically ill-humored.

My point - in case you missed it - was that chronically dissatisfied foreigners should leave Thailand.

You spoil the scene for the rest of us.

Fly away butterfly, back to Japan

Tempt not a pinch at the hand of a man,

and strive not to sting ere you die away.

So pert and so painted, so proud and so pretty,

to brush the bright down from your wings were a pity-

Fly away butterfly, fly away.

I heard about these 2 guys who knew all about Thailand but couldn't work out how to post their own thread in a forum, instead needing a friend to complete the task...

I dont think they survived more then a week.

Edited by Jigger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The inability to SPEAK even a single sentence in another language no longer they have in school is a point that is FAIRLY stated against The Japanese and the Japanese school system.

Tanaka being a Japanese name Just wondering who he is talking about as on a whole i dont think the amount of time that Thais learn English in school and the amount of time Japanese learn in and at after school English classes is even remotely comparable and in general the level of English is much higher here in Thailand than in Japan

Apparently you have very little knowledge about both Thailand and Japan.

Why? It have worked fine for me. The only problem have been for one or two Thais who thought it gave them an advantage over me but it turned out to be the opposite.

• Like 1

When you sit at a poker game amongst friends it is still a game where you try to win but don't get too upset if you lose. However, if you sit in a serious poker game for high stakes you must play your cards right and yet still rely on a good deal of luck. The longer you can play your cards right and not gamble too much, the better chance you have of coming out ahead in the end. Very often the adventure has been worth the risk even if you lose. That is very much like the game of love. You gamble a bit or a lot and hope to come out ahead in the end. Sometimes, even when you lose you still feel it was worth the ride.

• Like 1

Never had any complications in Thailand to date. But then again I mind my own business, stay off forums to avoid becoming jaded and complain very little.

IMHO Its all about managing your expectations.

• Like 1

Why? It have worked fine for me. The only problem have been for one or two Thais who thought it gave them an advantage over me but it turned out to be the opposite.

That's a very valid and often overlooked point. I wonder how many others are as admirably Machiavellian as you. thumbsup.gif

When I was one and twenty I heard a wise man say

Give pounds and crowns and guineas but not your heart away

Give pearls away and rubies, but keep your fancy free

But I was one and twenty, no use to talk to me

When I was one and twenty, I heard him say again

The heart from out of the bosom is never given in vain

Tis paid with sighs a-plenty and sold for endless rue

And I am two and twenty, and oh, tis true, tis true.

A E Housman

• Like 1

Outfitting a house was my biggest headache.

Bring the higher qualiy things that you appreciate with you. Cheap things are cheaper in Thailand but quality things are more expensive or simply unavailable. Bed linens in particular (flat sheets are difficult to find and good quality products are more expensive if you can find them), electronics, quality kitchen wares, etc.

Very interesting!

I think I would advise them to really consider if they are adaptable enough to deal with the different mind set. Used to say to my kids...everything may look much the same here as it does at home but life is driven by quite different perceptions, reasoning, purpose, pursuit of pleasure etc. Not better or worse, just different.

• Like 1

Everything is complicated in Thailand. Everything! A doctor's appointment set for 9:30 and the Dr. sees you at 11:45. Getting a drivers license takes all day and you end up failing the test and come back the next day because the English version of the test is unintelligible. Everybody here is on Thai time and no one takes any responsibility for anything. The simplest contracting work will never be completed unless you withhold money. Everything is complicated.

You first of all, have to lower your expectations. Learn to laugh at the frustrations or the place will dive you crazy.

I would suggest two things. Never consider having a business here (they will always get you in the end). I also suggest you never get involved with a girl who is in the game.

Everything is complicated in Thailand. Everything! A doctor's appointment set for 9:30 and the Dr. sees you at 11:45. Getting a drivers license takes all day and you end up failing the test and come back the next day because the English version of the test is unintelligible. Everybody here is on Thai time and no one takes any responsibility for anything. The simplest contracting work will never be completed unless you withhold money. Everything is complicated.

You first of all, have to lower your expectations. Learn to laugh at the frustrations or the place will dive you crazy.

I would suggest two things. Never consider having a business here (they will always get you in the end). I also suggest you never get involved with a girl who is in the game.

I am involved in making steel parts of more than 10 tons each that sell all over the world with all Thai labor. I have also been involved with hundreds of girls who are in the game. I think it depends on if you are any good at what you do.smile.png

My list:

(1) Falling in love with the wrong girl. Even when purchasing an old car i would do a lot more research.

(2) Staying with the wrong girlfriend after the early warning-signs hit quite high on the Richter scale.

(3) Failing to understand why Lawyers recommend me to give a sum like 20 000 or more in case of separation. The reason now is quite clear. If You don't settle she will probably take everything in your house and claim its hers. The police will not help You. Better to move everything first, or change the locks. But move everything first, without her knowledge is probably the best.