Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

Quite right. Malaysian. You can just make out a touch of blue in the original shot.

This is how it looked shortly afterwards.

The metadata says it was December 1st 2012. All the other anoraks were over on Myrtle Avenue that morning.

post-31600-0-92083700-1357003086_thumb.j

post-31600-0-87722000-1357003164_thumb.j

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at Davids images of the planes in and out of BKK I can almost taste the pollution in the images. It must be a strange mix where you live there David48, out in the farming lands, but under a major hub flight path getting all the gross pollution of Bangkok, an interesting mix of two worlds !!!.

As for the Caledonian, it's a Bristol Brittania. You were probably flown to Kai Tak. I used to see the troop rotation VC10 at Kai Tak every Monday driving to my office in the 1980s. One day, I saw Concorde land and pulled over by the perimeter fence. The police pulled over and told me I'd parked illegally. I told them my taxes had paid for the development of Concorde. Remarkably, they waived the ticket.

Go to the top of the class and have a Cigar, yes a Bristol Britannia. Only as far as Akrotiri, was 7 hours plus though as in those days we couldn't overfly a lot of Europe in a military aircraft. I do also believe it was first leg of the trip that eventually ended in Kai Tak. Cyprus, Mazerah , Ghan, Singapore and then Hong Kong.

Mention of trooping-flights reminds me that, when I was at Britannia Airways in the late-80s, I was told that we were still required by the MoD (the charterer of a couple of weekly flights to Germany) to announce to their passengers that it was dangerous to poke knives through the skin of the fuselage, so not to do it, please ! laugh.png

That was with B737-200s, though.

Might one congratulate the OP, on having started a very-entertaining thread, by the way ? thumbsup.gif

A New Day, A New Year ... A New Plane

post-104736-0-84816700-1357015765_thumb.

Easy one to start the year with ...

I'll even throw in the YouTube to assist as the Farm Father was sharing his music with all of Thailand this morning ... w00t.gif

Wishing you all a great New Year and please feel free to contribute what ever plane photos you have.

If you are flying somewhere unusual and can grab a pic ... please ... you are welcome here ... biggrin.png

Looking at Davids images of the planes in and out of BKK I can almost taste the pollution in the images. It must be a strange mix where you live there David48, out in the farming lands, but under a major hub flight path getting all the gross pollution of Bangkok, an interesting mix of two worlds !!!.

It's sort of OK here in regards to the pollution.

We are on the landing side of the equation 9 days out of 10 due to the wind factor.

Because they are landing the engines are well throttled down.

My feelings are for those just north of the Airport ... they would cope most of it ... sad.png

When you look at the flight data in real time, many of them are only 250 metres above the Farm.

(remembering that the flight data I capture and display is well before they get to the Farm most times as the data vanishes when they land)

The only things with wings here that affects my health adversely are the dam mosquitoes ... and they especially thick last night ... dry.png

00000789.jpg

That one is photoshopped. There has never been a shortened 747-400.

Incorrect B747 SP, Google it. Long range - one of the first to do YSSY to KLAX non stop. I flew in them (Pan AM) in the early 80s. OK the SP didn't have winglets, sorry didn't see the -400!

I hate bloody mozzies. we go to a restaurant often that is really nice, and the out door tables have little balls made form fly screen / shade cloth about the size of a tennis ball hanging under the tables stuff with some leaves. You can only smell then if you take a deep breath sniffing them like a dog would an arse, (really close up). It seems to work really well. I will find out next week what plant they stuff them with and let them know.

Our home is well guarded from the, even all the vent under the eves out side. Dengue is not taken seriously in Thailand.

I drove to Bangkok last week, half way there start coughing and splattering. It really is horrible air when you are not used to it.

I actually 'like aircraft noise' but I don't miss it !!!!!! All I ever seem to get is the Bangkok Airways ATR going over head on decent through 11,000' into Trat (The Koh Chang Express) and it has at height on it's way out. You don't here it unless you are outside.

It has defiantly been photo-shopped. Here is Google images of the same machine. The SP is defiantly a old 100 variant and enjoyed more by many pilots than the 100. Out of the classics, the -200 was the most successful one, many 200's were converted into freighters.

The -300 was superseded b the -400 quick enough which was hugely successful. Lets see how the 800 goes.......

Although not plane spotting, this link has some great images, about 70 years old.

Many great plane pics. http://pavelkosenko....x5-kodachromes/

Example: October 1942. Workers installing fixtures and assemblies in the tail section of a B-17F bomber at the Douglas Aircraft Company plant in Long Beach, California. 4×5 Kodachrome transparency by Alfred Palmer.

05.jpg

A New Day, A New Year ... A New Plane

post-104736-0-84816700-1357015765_thumb.

Easy one to start the year with ...

I'll even throw in the YouTube to assist as the Farm Father was sharing his music with all of Thailand this morning ... w00t.gif

Wishing you all a great New Year and please feel free to contribute what ever plane photos you have.

If you are flying somewhere unusual and can grab a pic ... please ... you are welcome here ... biggrin.png

Looks like Bangkok Airways A320

PS Your shooting conditions are ideal for a quiz - distance, poor air. I've often wondered about shooting at SuperBoomi. I got bad sunburn at Chek Lap Kok yesterday but there was clear blue sky above 500 ft. A spotter from Guanzhou insisted to go over to the Haeco sheds to get arrivals but the local Hong Kogers said his backgrounds would all be grey.

PS Your shooting conditions are ideal for a quiz - distance, poor air. I've often wondered about shooting at SuperBoomi. I got bad sunburn at Chek Lap Kok yesterday but there was clear blue sky above 500 ft. A spotter from Guanzhou insisted to go over to the Haeco sheds to get arrivals but the local Hong Kogers said his backgrounds would all be grey.

They are really good, excellent, up till about 11.30 then sun angle and flight path coincide with a back-lit direct sun.

I did get sunburt when I first started taking some shots.

If anyone has any requests ... just PM me with the arrival details, day and time, Airline etc ... but only arrivals at Swampy ... biggrin.png

I can only do swampy ... but happy to personalise it.

Looks like Bangkok Airways A320

Well spotted lubbkis ... clap2.gif

post-104736-0-13723600-1357045428_thumb. . post-104736-0-57358400-1357045432_thumb.

Indeed a Bangkok Airways flight, an A320-232 from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi

• Airline: Bangkok Airways
  • Flight: PG932
  • To: Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi (BKK)
  • Aircraft: Airbus A320-232 (A320)
  • Reg: HS-PPD
  • Altitude: 875 ft (267 m)
  • V/S: -768 fpm
  • Speed: 133 kt (246 km/h, 153 mph)
  • Track: 14°
  • Hex: 884204
  • Squawk: 1627
  • Pos:
  • Radar: T-VTBD1

Details here

Korean Airlines

Looks like a 787 but can't find a reference that they are using them yet.

If not 787 then A330-300.

I'd vote for the 800 as the only upward wingtip is a Boeing feature wheras Airbus favour delta shaped tips.

It's a nice shot of a beautiful bird.

I've just had a quick look on www.flightradar24.com and right now HL8247 is approaching the Korean Penninsula from Bangkok.

Korean Airlines

I'd vote for the 800 as the only upward wingtip is a Boeing feature wheras Airbus favour delta shaped tips.

I've just had a quick look on www.flightradar24.com and right now HL8247 is approaching the Korean Penninsula from Bangkok.

Fair call just looked a bit large for a 737-800 but now see you are correct.

Sorry guys ... I have some computer issues.

Was using a borrowed computer and had all the various flight information saved in word documents.

Trouble is the gf's computer has a much newer version (copy, of course) version of Microsoft Office

then I have and when I transferred the file, my older verion initially opened the files through using the converter

but did not this morning and they are showing up as blank and the file was moved and not copied

so I might have to use a file recovery search and bla bla ...

Maybe you guys have some stories/photos to share during the interuption?

Normal service shall return shortly ... I hope.

Hazard a guess at Finnair A330-300 from Helsinki AY095

Come on, you have got to be joking. Worlds best guess.

The Guess was if it was Finnair because of the angle, if that was right then the rest was easy.

Should have used my luck choosing the lottery numbersthumbsup.gif

Korean Airlines

Actually, I misread your 787 as 737. I think that, currently, nobody is flying the 787 except All Nippon who are using it for domestic flights.

Korean Airlines

Actually, I misread your 787 as 737. I think that, currently, nobody is flying the 787 except All Nippon who are using it for domestic flights.

Can confirm a friend flew the 787 from Doha to LHR with Qatar on Sunday and believe there are others now using it. He said the Business Class was superb.

I just checked my own statement with a filter on Flightradar. It's a few months since I checked out the in-flight 787s. They were showing JAL from Logan to Tokyo, Several ANA some now international, Air India Delhi to Chennai, and two UAL giving strange readings.

I was a bit disappointed with Qatar's biz during Ramadan a few years back. They were serving wine by the thimble. I wrote and complained and had a courteous reply.

Rephotographed #008 yesterday ... still trying to recover the previous information.

Flight information (yesterday) was ...

Korean Airlines, flight KE657, a Boeing 737-8Q8 (B738) from Seoul, Incheon to Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi

post-104736-0-88363600-1357258239_thumb.

Original photo from a few days ago

post-104736-0-11228500-1357258684_thumb.

post-104736-0-46392000-1357258681_thumb.

Yesterday's photos

Here is the flight photo as detailed ... http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=240948

Haven't been able to upload the YouTube yet ... wacko.png

Will post again hopefully today with 2 new planes.

An easy one for those who haven't got one before ... and something more difficult for you ole' timers ... biggrin.png

Rephotographed #008 yesterday ... still trying to recover the previous information.

Flight information (yesterday) was ...

Korean Airlines, flight KE657, a Boeing 737-8Q8 (B738) from Seoul, Incheon to Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi

post-104736-0-88363600-1357258239_thumb.

Original photo from a few days ago

post-104736-0-11228500-1357258684_thumb.

post-104736-0-46392000-1357258681_thumb.

Yesterday's photos

Here is the flight photo as detailed ... http://www.planespot....show?id=240948

Haven't been able to upload the YouTube yet ... wacko.png

Will post again hopefully today with 2 new planes.

An easy one for those who haven't got one before ... and something more difficult for you ole' timers ... biggrin.png

I will probably miss this as I'm at CLK waiting to get on an A340 for about 11 hours.

Now, if you have one to share, by all means please post it here.

Don't worry if you don't have all the fancy info I posted above.

As long as you know the info, and let someone else guess.

Norrad, please do one for us and while we are waiting, I'll post the next one.

Does this apply to your OP, Dave?

Have been addicted to this, this summer in europe when clear skies where present..

http://casperflights.../?location=egkk

This for our Scottish spotters..

http://casperflights.com/unified/?location=egpf

Casper does look great, doesn't it. At the time of posting this though (7AM Munich time) it is showing absolutely nothing over Scotland. The MAS & SIA flights were getting into Heathrow and much of the European transatlantic traffic showed up.

Does Casper still show 15 minute delay until you pay?

(David Lubkkis - posting from the Lufthansa lounge in Munich)

Archived