Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult 1, this requires some expertise. Aircraft details and carrier name please...

post-70928-0-21887500-1358449523_thumb.j

The Safety Card in the Seatback says 747-400 and looking at the alcohol I would guess Transaero?

Very observant RabCnessbit. Guess again...

First aircraft i ever flew on, 2nd flight same aircraft with this airline EMA to Majorca.

What aircraft?

Vickers Vanguard ?

Viscount, I think. The Vanguard was longer.

I had 11 Vanguard flights LHR to EDI and v.v. in 1968 and one leg on an Olympic Comet doing the leg for BEA.

I got a bit of a shock when the jet made a much steeper descent.

Edited by lubbkis

OK this was taken at Heathrow last summer. It's Canadian. Also flown by Thai - shot at CLK (HKG) in December. I've obscured the registrations, so what model is it.

Further which is landing and which taking off, and how do you know?

post-31600-0-34507200-1358547360_thumb.j

post-31600-0-55349300-1358548267_thumb.j

Edited by lubbkis

OK this was taken at Heathrow last summer. It's Canadian. Also flown by Thai - shot at CLK (HKG) in December. I've obscured the registrations, so what model is it.

Further which is landing and which taking off, and how do you know?

A330-300 Air Canada is landing due to the flaps.

On this trip to Thailand, we took the Farm mother and Father for their first ever flight.

We visited Chiang Rai/Mai.

I purposely booked booked both of them a window seat ... Mother for the nice view and Father so that he could observe the wing mechanics at take-off and landing.

I started to translate the principles of flight, what the air-brakes were then they popped up in the pre-flight check.

After a about a minute I got the reply back ... HE KNOWS ... but I'm not sure ... ermm.gif

BTW ... Farm Mother really only got to see the back of Farm Father's head ... as he was glued to the window.

Oh ... I did book them both a window seat but the Mother insisted on sitting next to Father ... huh.png

One question for the gurus that I don't know ... do they, or can they chuck the engines into 'reverse' to create a reverse thrust to act as an additional brake on the shorter runways a plane encounters?

S7 = Seberia Airlines

post-104736-0-81770500-1358424478_thumb.jpg

I think it looks ugly, but so different it is a pleasant change.

Gezzz, Everyone is invade Thailand now. whistling.gif

Actually close but spelling is wrong.

Do you mean Siberia Airlines or Serbian Airlines ?

Give Terry Newman a chance to come back and reply ... wink.png

Still don't have a plane type.

One question for the gurus that I don't know ... do they, or can they chuck the engines into 'reverse' to create a reverse thrust to act as an additional brake on the shorter runways a plane encounters?

I recall back in 1991, a Lauda Air 767 pilot activated the reverse thrust on his aircraft. Problem was, the flight was at about 10,000 feet on its way to Vienna from BKK. 223 souls were lost.

On this trip to Thailand, we took the Farm mother and Father for their first ever flight.

I purposely booked booked both of them a window seat ... Mother for the nice view and Father so that he could observe the wing mechanics at take-off and landing.

I started to translate the principles of flight, what the air-brakes were then they popped up in the pre-flight check.

After a about a minute I got the reply back ... HE KNOWS ... but I'm not sure ... ermm.gif

BTW ... Farm Mother really only got to see the back of Farm Father's head ... as he was glued to the window.

Oh ... I did book them both a window seat but the Mother insisted on sitting next to Father ... huh.png

Jet engines do not have a reverse, what they do have is scoops that extend from the engine casing to reverse the direction of the thrust.

As per:

post-80090-0-25142900-1358559147_thumb.j

David it above images are of high by pass engines, some models it does not actually get diverted Fwd (although commonly does now) but even at 90' it helps you stop due to the thrust vector. (Physics geekie stuff) High by pass referring to the air, the fan in the front of the donk is in a way just like a propeller making most of the air movement, compared to the low by pass engines being pure jet in it purest form. A common example is on the B727 of a low by pass. for reverse thrust you divert the thrust, (in this case exhaust gas) with buckets on the rear of the engine on landing.

The faster the plane is going, the more effect reverse thrust is on slowing you down. With your comment on short runways, on a sealed runway, it is used every time, in order to save the expensive breaks and not to heat them up, which causes problems for the next departure on some types. The brakes have many temp sensors, to ensure max breaking on an aborted TKOF they have to below a required temp and thus can delay a departure if used. The Brakes on the Qantas A380 that landed in Singapore with a bunch of issues had breaks at over 900'c plus. When a plane is certified by the FAA or who ever after a max break landing, they often catch on fire and the plane must be designed to take a fire in the landing gear from ignition of the break for 300 seconds before ground based fire crews are allowed to attack it.

Below, this is form a low by pass engine, the buckets or clam shells work like this. Imagine the engine bolted on to the left and the thrust going left to right.

It wasn't long ago that aircrew would warn passengers of excessive noise when reverse thrust was about to be deployed.

BTW Have you heard, Heathrow's snow fun at the moment. S'no fun at all. Basically, when you have a system operating persistently at near capacity it is a brittle system - liable to break with only minor variations in condition.

Seeing the picture of the Viscount made think that it was probably the most popular commercial airframe of it's time and that slot had previously been occupied by the Dakota, the Viscount being followed by the 707. I haven't researched this but I think these particular airframes dominated their times. Of course, next up would be the 747 but will we see A380 or 787 next?

First aircraft i ever flew on, 2nd flight same aircraft with this airline EMA to Majorca.

What aircraft?

Vickers Vanguard ?

Viscount, I think. The Vanguard was longer.

I had 11 Vanguard flights LHR to EDI and v.v. in 1968 and one leg on an Olympic Comet doing the leg for BEA.

I got a bit of a shock when the jet made a much steeper descent.

Viscount correct

Jet engines do not have a reverse, what they do have is scoops that extend from the engine casing to reverse the direction of the thrust.

As per:

That deployed in flight with the Lauda air crash 767 out of BKK, no hope of recovery in that situation I would think.

As per:

That deployed in flight with the Lauda air crash 767 out of BKK, no hope of recovery in that situation I would think.

I was working at a University in HK at that time. One of our students had been on the flight.

Military but the first aircraft I sat in aged about 10 and in pilots seat, aircraft engines was being serviced by my old man. Anybody military expertise as to what?

Change the file name old chap. It's a dead give away.

whoops know for next time

As per:

I was working at a University in HK at that time. One of our students had been on the flight.

Must have been horrendous, it did originate in HK as you say, pilots thought it was a malfunction warning light, then words "Oh, reverser's deployed!"recorded. Another sad fact "After the accident, scavengers collected electronics and jewelry.[6] About one quarter of the airline's carrying capacity vanished as a result of the crash"

Lauda Air is now owned and operated by Austrian Airlines. Here is the fatal flight ex DMK mentioned above.

You can walk into the crash site, there is still wreckage every where. Although the Thai Gov blame local village people, many people have confirmed that the rescue crews stole all or anything of value form the dead victims like wallets, rings on their fingers etc.

If I remember correctly, a "Mayor" in Chiang Mai and his family were killed, so that province paid for some memorial for them at the site. Disgustingly Lauda Air / Austrian contribute %40 USD a month to the maintenance of the memorial, it is mainly kept by volenter Thai ladies respecting the dead.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Dozens of these disappeared, about 70 years ago.. Can someone explain why and where?

post-70928-0-38350600-1358802014_thumb.j

That looks more like a Hawker Hurricane than a Spitfire to me. The greatest difference is the wingtip. It's marked "City of Winnipeg" and a little googling suggests that the CoW 402 squadron saw action mostly in the European theatre rather than the Far East.

I'm not really into the military side but I do wonder if the Burmese lost squadron story was misinformation.

Yes Siberian I think might be right, you are correct.

It looks like a 767. I don't now the route, if it is direct it will be a 300ER.

I am sure one of the plane spotters will correct me !

S7 = Seberia Airlines

post-104736-0-81770500-1358424478_thumb.jpg

I think it looks ugly, but so different it is a pleasant change.

Gezzz, Everyone is invade Thailand now. whistling.gif

Actually close but spelling is wrong.

Do you mean Siberia Airlines or Serbian Airlines ?

Give Terry Newman a chance to come back and reply ... wink.png

Still don't have a plane type.