Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

Dozens of these disappeared, about 70 years ago.. Can someone explain why and where?

post-70928-0-38350600-1358802014_thumb.j

That looks more like a Hawker Hurricane than a Spitfire to me. The greatest difference is the wingtip. It's marked "City of Winnipeg" and a little googling suggests that the CoW 402 squadron saw action mostly in the European theatre rather than the Far East.

I'm not really into the military side but I do wonder if the Burmese lost squadron story was misinformation.

It is a spitfire. The wing tips were detacheable and I believe it improved roll rate to go without.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dozens of these disappeared, about 70 years ago.. Can someone explain why and where?

post-70928-0-38350600-1358802014_thumb.j

That looks more like a Hawker Hurricane than a Spitfire to me. The greatest difference is the wingtip. It's marked "City of Winnipeg" and a little googling suggests that the CoW 402 squadron saw action mostly in the European theatre rather than the Far East.

I'm not really into the military side but I do wonder if the Burmese lost squadron story was misinformation.

It is a spitfire. The wing tips were detacheable and I believe it improved roll rate to go without.

Every day is a school day as I always looked at the wing tips to differentiate between the Spitfire and Hurricane in silhouette.

Every day is a school day as I always looked at the wing tips to differentiate between the Spitfire and Hurricane in silhouette.

post-104736-0-38073800-1359099631_thumb. . post-104736-0-70256500-1359099634_thumb.

. .Spitfire. . . . . . . Hurricane

David, they are the ones I am used to until seeing the posted pic of a Spitfire with "chopped off" wing ends.

Yes Siberian I think might be right, you are correct.

It looks like a 767. I don't now the route, if it is direct it will be a 300ER.

I am sure one of the plane spotters will correct me !

S7 = Seberia Airlines

post-104736-0-81770500-1358424478_thumb.jpg

I think it looks ugly, but so different it is a pleasant change.

Gezzz, Everyone is invade Thailand now. whistling.gif

Actually close but spelling is wrong.

Do you mean Siberia Airlines or Serbian Airlines ?

Give Terry Newman a chance to come back and reply ... wink.png

Still don't have a plane type.

Well done Terry ... clap2.gif

This hottie is brand new, delivered from California in December and shot, by myself, at Chek Lap Kok, HKG on 31/12/12. 1 point for identifying type (clue: it's just off the production line; anti-clue it's not yet in the "spotters" databases). 200 points for whose Christmas present it was. 555

post-31600-0-60912400-1359106860_thumb.j

What does strike me looking at 'private jets' when compared to commercial jet airliners is the relatively large size of both the wingspan and the size of the engines.

Is it just a perception ... or a defined reason?

Great Video BTW

OH ... it just appeared to be a pre-flight check as the air-brakes were also opened ... but you guys are the experts ... biggrin.png

What does strike me looking at 'private jets' when compared to commercial jet airliners is the relatively large size of both the wingspan and the size of the engines.

Is it just a perception ... or a defined reason?

Great Video BTW

OH ... it just appeared to be a pre-flight check as the air-brakes were also opened ... but you guys are the experts ... biggrin.png

Well, I wouldn't claim expertise on Private Jets. I tend to take an interest in things I'm more likely to fly in myself. I live under a glide path to London City which has a special private jet terminal and I have a suspicion that some jets are so regular from certain tax havens that they are actually air lines, in the original sense.

The people who use these things often head up global businesses, so there is a need for intercontinental capability. Luton is a good place to spot them, I'm told, as a company that was once described by its CEO as "a health service that happens to make cars", makes vans nearby.

Edited by lubbkis

I did fly in one of my cousin's private craft a long time ago but his pre-flight test was a walk round and a kick of the tyres (or tires as he would say.)

Well ... I'm sure Tywais is magnanimous enough to share the accolade of the correct airline with you.

However ... I have plane model slightly differently.

They do fly the 767-300er.

//edit - looking at the back windows now would say 767-300er pretty certain. Fleet

Well ... I'm sure Tywais is magnanimous enough to share the accolade of the correct airline with you.However ... I have plane model slightly differently.
They do fly the 767-300er.//edit - looking at the back windows now would say 767-300er pretty certain. Fleet

WOW ... you guys are good!Indeed it was a Boeing 767-36NER (B763)

From Nairobi, Jomo Kenyatta landing at Bangkok.

PlanespottersNet_258673.jpg

EDIT ... added the photo

Edited by David48

I don't have too many opportunities to shoot one. So I have my camera setting right next to my balcony doors and listen for something coming/going. Heard it, jumped up and stepped out on the balcony and got it. 600mm lens, Panasonic GH2. Way too easy but that's all I got. File name is a hint though for getting more details out of it. Location?

326%20pm.jpg

^^ Mate, we are posting at the same time, great photo ... thumbsup.gif

For those interested how it worked for me ...

post-104736-0-31421900-1359189545_thumb.

I just happened to located under that flight path.

For the planes to landing above me, the wind had to have been from the North, East or West.

Should the wind direction change to blowing from the south, the Airport adjusted their landing regime and the planes would take off overhead.

Even if the wind shifted to a Easterly or Westerly breeze ... they continued to land from the north.

For maybe 9 out of 10 days the wind was to our backs and the planes flew overhead ... and very low.

The Flight Radar website is here ... and it usually opens over Sweden the first time and every time you clear your cookies.

Currently the planes are landing into Swampy from the north.

Air Asia A320.... File name has a 326 in it, guessing that's the reference?

Is it Thai Air Asia, or Air Asia?

Think 'time' re: reference. wink.png

Thought I would show off my rig and what I used for my shot above. Table is right next to my upstairs balcony door. Absolutely perfectly clear day today considering where I am located. biggrin.png

camera.jpg