Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

He was doing servery work, both sensors (which is amazing technology) and photography. Typically, he would not have been hangout of a plane with a camera though, but, operating extremely expensive gear through holes in the floor of the plane. The planes fly long, straight lines, often very high in un-pressurized planes, where the operator and the pilot are sucking O2 for hours on end. (Which really sucks). An example where I found this pic.

The Porter that Blinky Bill died in, No he was killed in by negligence by a company that made the Thai police and politicians look like angles regarding corruption by comparison. The porter has a hole already installed by the manufacturer, making it a more versatile work horse.

10699727-22615240-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARE

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice links CLB. I have never seen St. Elmos Fire before this. In fact, all I had heard during my PPL was that it was an electrical discharge usually seen on the wings.

During my first dual x-country, I arrived back at my home airport just as day was giving way to twilight and a small thunder storm was visible about 30 miles to the west. It was a pretty cool sight.

This is a link to the company Blinky Bill was working for and what he was actually doing. http://www.surtech-group.com/services/airbone-laser-scanning/

They had charted a company called Susi Air to provide the aircraft for their gear. Surtech management has since lead the charge to try and clean the world of rouge operators like this.

Ont he link above, check out these links, really amazing stuff.

Ok, one last attempt on this one. For some reason I am unable to see the pic I posted a couple of times last night. As a result, I'm not sure if no one is guessing because no one else can see it either or if no one else cares coffee1.gif . Regardless, one more time because I hate to waste an opportunity.

post-170438-0-61381800-1374052486_thumb.

Ok, one last attempt on this one. For some reason I am unable to see the pic I posted a couple of times last night. As a result, I'm not sure if no one is guessing because no one else can see it either or if no one else cares coffee1.gif . Regardless, one more time because I hate to waste an opportunity.

attachicon.gifIMG_1021.jpg

To put you out of your misery - F/A 18 Hornet (perhaps /C or /D rather than /A but not sure they took delivery of those versions due to the financial crisis). biggrin.png

attachicon.gifIMG_1021.jpg

This is the first time I have seen this image Spud. I had seen some failed attempts, TV has been very dickie in the last few days uploading pics & double post.

Yes, I've had the double posts, then one would disappear. And for some reason I could not see my posted images until this past one.

Anyhow, it is an FA18/B (Tywais) - training variant as noted by SVB. They were in Iqaluit last Tuesday to mark the 20th anniversary of the creation of Nunavut Territory. Along with them were a Herc and an Aurora. However, they were unexpectedly joined by 3 more Hercs and 4 USAF Metroliners. The unusual part of the Hercs was that 2 were commercially owned: Lynden Air Cargo and First Air. Suffice it to say that our little aprons were very full for a holiday.

post-170438-0-59605800-1374057227_thumb.

post-170438-0-94148500-1374057259_thumb.

post-170438-0-71295100-1374057299_thumb.

Not sure that there is any real difference but on the west coast, the pilots referred to the P3 as an Orion. On the east coast, the military calls it the Aurora.

Although the airframe and engines are the same -I think there are some systems differences between the P3-C Orion and the CP-140 Aurora...

Different electronics inside mainly

Interesting that the P3-C Orions share the same Allison T-56 engines as the Grumman Tracker that was posted a couple of pages back...

I think (100% not confirmed) that OZ is phasing out the Orion's to be replaced by 737's, people that are paid a sh1t load of money because they much smarter than me would know better, but that is really sad.

I have a soft spot for the Orions, they are amazing for SAR (Search And Rescue) with an incredible endurance and dropping capability. They are also a VERY FAST turbo prop. I really do not know much about them really, but they tick so many boxes, I reckon that in the future you will see a new design based on them built from new technology. Yes they are old now, but still so dam_n capable.

I understand there is no point flogging a dead horse, but this is far from dead. I have utmost respect for its crews as well, the do really amazingly technically difficult flights, like water off a ducks back.

I HOPE they don't chop them up and bury them like the PIGS

Story about this pic below, it is depressing. There was nothing wrong with the wings. replacing them with the Hornets was a corrupt deal.

191570-f111s-dumped-near-ipswich.jpg

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I think (100% not confirmed) that OZ is phasing out the Orion's to be replaced by 737's, people that are paid a sh1t load of money because they much smarter than me would know better, but that is really sad.

I have a soft spot for the Orions, they are amazing for SAR (Search And Rescue) with an incredible endurance and dropping capability. They are also a VERY FAST turbo prop. I really do not know much about them really, but they tick so many boxes, I reckon that in the future you will see a new design based on them built from new technology. Yes they are old now, but still so dam_n capable.

I understand there is no point flogging a dead horse, but this is far from dead. I have utmost respect for its crews as well, the do really amazingly technically difficult flights, like water off a ducks back.

Agree 100% with you - I have always been a huge fan of the Orion. First time I was attached to an active operational unit in the RAAF many years ago was 11 SQN flying P3-C's (I was only a trainee then, just went along as observer on a lot of flights)

I think they are a wonderful aircraft

You are correct, the RAAF will receive the new Poseidons as a replacement for the Orions (P-8's?), based on an 800 series 737

I wonder why Iqaluit is so busy spud?

High Single Pot, I am interested in Spuds answer as well, I have landed in Iqualuit at least 50 times, for the east coast, it is the last "civilized" place as you go North and I use that term loosely. A huge amount of Gov paid for flights go there there are base there. Be it Indigenous, mining etc... Many of the military stuff heads to Alert. I had much more to do with the west coast up to Inuvik & Victoria Island area.

It it just so bloody bizare up there, I can under stand how or why people fall in love with it, but it is not my cup of tea. Looking back I feel privileged to experience living and working is 24 darkness and 24 hour -40'c and in Summer 24 hour day light and glorious weather. But I NEVER want to work in that stuff again.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I HOPE they don't chop them up and bury them like the PIGS

Story about this pic below, it is depressing. There was nothing wrong with the wings. replacing them with the Hornets was a corrupt deal.

Our FA18s were looking as if they were going to be replaced by the F35 Joint Strike Fighter in the near future. However, due to incredible bungling of the file by the Minister of Defence, low-balling the price and failing to follow a proper bid process, has put back the procurement timeline years. And I expect we will end up with the Super Hornets as the F35s are now toxic in public opinion here.

RAAF already has Super Hornets. They were brought in as a stop gap between the F-111's retiring and future delivery of the F35 JSF (which as you said is a complete disaster)

First Super Hornets were delivered in 2011.

Busy is a relative term for Iqaluit. We handle about 20,000 movements per year at the airport, almost none of which are circuits. Our normal scheduled traffic is 3 B737s daily, B767 5/week, B757 4/week and 3 more B737/week arrive from the south. From here a fleet of ATRs and Dash 8s distribute people and supplies onwards. However, the traffic we do have is driven by its isolation.

First, it is the hub for all villages north of the mainland and east of Hudson's Bay. All winter supplies and fresh foods - I use that term loosely - for all of these villages pass through here. Mining exploration is under way for iron, gold and diamonds. A large mine at Mary's River is in the process of being built now. They are proposing the northernmost railway in the world at a cost of $2 billion whose only function will be to ferry ore to the coast and supplies to the mine.

Second, territorial services are based here: air ambulance, police tactical and reinforcement teams, judicial services.

Finally, for west-coast based LJ or Citation charters bound for Europe, it is a convenient pit stop, especially in the summer. If you are American, flying and American registered aircraft and your most recent departure is from an American airfield, it is possible that customs will not even bother coming out. Also, once fuel is bought for the year, the price does not go up. So our current fuel sales are priced from last summer's purchase price.

The traffic last Tuesday was an anomaly but we do regularly receive American military aircraft and Lyndon is a weekly visitor on their way to Thule. Also, Pilatus stops for refueling their PC12 deliveries to North America.

CLB, interestingly, I am finding for myself and the others working in the tower, the almost complete darkness of winter seems to be easier to take because we can fall asleep after work. During the summer, the constant light makes it difficult to sleep without some occasional help.

interesting pic from David.

I like planes. When we are looking at warplanes however I can't help thinking.

No military plane lands on an airfield or aircraft carrier anywhere in the world without there being a bloody good reason.

I find the image of warplanes in a ditch being covered by earth somewhat ironic.

As examples of magnificent engineering, warplanes are fantastic. But they all have a history.

829891-hercules-trip.jpg

It is Aussie, the number 50 is a dead give away. The tail is painted in Aussie camo.

The background is 100% Aussie, NSW or South East QLD in Autumn or early winter before all the grass dies off and is very brown from the air.

Significance: ? I see a stripper in the cockpit with her ass compressed against the skippers front window. prove me wrong tongue.png ( planes front left window ) (your right looking at it). But David48 is looking for something to do with, " Hercs fly over Sydney Harbour to mark 70th anniversary of the No 37 Squadron's formation. "

One would think that it must be a blo0dy fast shutter for this pic, to freeze the props, but far from it. These have about 4500 SHP, impressive I feel, (about a 5000 HP Donks X by 4 of em). Turbo props measure Shaft Horse Power at the point to the gear box, that is only use full on take off, but you use all the bleed in other systems, if it was a "car" donk,it would be rated around 7000HP each--- my guess---).

As a rule of thumb, the more horse power, the more the prop is geared, (and ginormous blades etc.... bigger they are, the faster the tips gets, = speed of sound issues, same crap with many Cessna 210's that are ear piecing) I am 99% sure that these spin slow, much slower than a common 6 seat Cessna.

Prob only , 2000 RPM on TKOF and 1200RPM - 1600RPM in cruise. I am only guessing, they may even be slower, actually, the crew will prob never know unless they hit the text books, it is probably a percentage of a fixed engineering datum and simply expressed as a % number in the cockpit. Nice pic, someone was close to get it so focused from a moving platform. Must have been a Canon w00t.gif If quality of the image is anything to do with faulty products and shame full Nikon service and Warranties in Thailand, this pic ain't from a <deleted> Nikon, there is no oil dots on it !!!!! ) cheesy.gif

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

The aircraft type is easy enough as it is in the file name. biggrin.png Lockheed C-130 Hercules in Australian Service

DOH ... I fell for that again ... facepalm.gif

It is Aussie, the number 50 is a dead give away. The tail is painted in Aussie camo.

... But David48 is looking for something to do with, " Hercs fly over Sydney Harbour to mark 70th anniversary of the No 37 Squadron's formation. "

Um, yes ... that was it!

Story below ...

Air-Force No 37-Squadron celebrates its 70th anniversary ...

Another milestone has been ticked over by Air Force’s No. 37 Squadron, which today celebrates 70 years since its formation.

Established on 15 July 1943 at RAAF Base Laverton as an air transport unit, No. 37 Squadron has gone on to support key Defence operations around the globe.

Today, it flies tactical airlift missions with a fleet of 12 C-130J Hercules transport aircraft from RAAF Base Richmond. To celebrate the anniversary, No. 37 Squadron has hosted reunions of past and present members at RAAF Base Richmond.

During the Second World War, No. 37 Squadron transported Defence personnel throughout Australia and South East Asia, including the return of wounded Diggers and Australian Prisoners of War. The squadron was disbanded between 1948 until 1966, when it was re-established to provide air transport with the C-130E Hercules.

The squadron has recorded countless achievements, from providing relief supplies following the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake to flying Search and Rescue missions during the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Its aircraft have brought home Australians injured by the Bali Bombings, transported Jackson Pollock’s painting ‘Blue Poles’, and carried peacekeepers to Somalia. The core business of No. 37 Squadron is transporting Defence personnel and cargo, evidenced today by its deployment of two C-130Js to the Middle East Area of Operations.

HERE

37SQN-Media-Pack.png

Just thought you guys might appreciate this story ... the Media Pack image above is a clickable link.

Some photos over Sydney below ...

885510-darren-goldie.jpg

Pictured is Commanding Officer of the 37th Squadron Darren Goldie,

after a flight on board an Air Force C-130J Hercules transport aircraft today,

marking the 70th anniversary of No.37 Squadron Source: The Daily Telegraph

832588-hercules-trip.jpg

RAAF personnel on board a C-130J Hercules transport aircraft today to mark

the 70th anniversary of No 37 Squadron.

Pic: Tim Hunter Source: The Daily Telegraph

829160-hercules-trip.jpg

Story and balance of photos