Thailand's Cola Conflict: Est Vs. Pepsi

webfact

Strange reactions. The taste difference between Pepsi, Coke and EST is negligible. Maginal differation. The stuff is as close to identical as possible. Huge amounts of sugar, caffein, unknown addictive substances, etc. Personally, if I have a oportunity to buy locally I enjoy the product all the more. In this case I also factor in the fact that Serm Suk has be supporting various charities and the Forest Monastaries without advertising its generosity for over 30 years.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But still no word or indications of what happened to all the Pepsi and Pepsi max.

Ok so they broke the contract and Pepsi is not leaving Thailand soooo where is all the Pepsi ?

Not a smart move by Pepsi to leave the shelves empty for a while as many may switch brands

we noticed that also in Big C no pepsi on the shelves. found a couple of bottles in Tesco but not much around. Still plenty of Coke on the shelves. Doesn't Coka Cola hold the major market share?

In most countries yes but in Thailand for some reason it's Pepsi, or at least it was.

Tried est and will not do so again. It tastes like recycled buffalo water.

So you've tasted recycled buffalo water!

EST = Extra Sugar Thailand

Of course all ingrediants are subject to regular business practices; I tried it with Blend 285, I tried it with Sang Som, I tried it straight. I'll use Coke until Pepsi gets situated.

We aren't talking a vintage Napa Valley chardonnay ; it's freaking cola! It's carbonated water, sugar and some artificial flavorings!

What is truly amazing is that the contempt for all things Thai has many standing up for a huge, multi-national conglomerate, which, in many's opinion, has repugnant business tactics.

You'll have to enlighten me I'm afraid. What's in a vintage Napa Valley Chardonnay exactly?

But still no word or indications of what happened to all the Pepsi and Pepsi max.

Ok so they broke the contract and Pepsi is not leaving Thailand soooo where is all the Pepsi ?

Not a smart move by Pepsi to leave the shelves empty for a while as many may switch brands

we noticed that also in Big C no pepsi on the shelves. found a couple of bottles in Tesco but not much around. Still plenty of Coke on the shelves. Doesn't Coka Cola hold the major market share?

In most countries yes but in Thailand for some reason it's Pepsi, or at least it was.

Pepsi holds the market share over Coke in India also. I believe the CEO of Pepsi is an Indian woman. I recently saw a comentary about Pepsi Co. on TV. burp.gif
  • Like 1

Strange reactions. The taste difference between Pepsi, Coke and EST is negligible. Maginal differation. The stuff is as close to identical as possible. Huge amounts of sugar, caffein, unknown addictive substances, etc. Personally, if I have a oportunity to buy locally I enjoy the product all the more. In this case I also factor in the fact that Serm Suk has be supporting various charities and the Forest Monastaries without advertising its generosity for over 30 years.

Pepsi and Coke are about 24bt a bottle, what is the price of this esp? I haven't noticed it on the shelves but then again I haven't looked.

Edited by chooka

Hard to feel sorry for Pepsi IMO. They have used their mega corporation tactics for years to get market share.

Now EST comes onto the market... looking very much like pepsi, using the bottling plants and distribution network built up by pepsi. (tasting different obviously) What would be a clear commercial rip off in many countries.

This is just two big companies slugging it out. Long term I would be putting my money on Pepsi as they can afford to throw more cash around.

As for me I remain unaffected, rarely drinking any carbonated beverage.

A company copied Pepsi's look, and is using the distribution network and bottling plants built up by Pepsi, but it's just another case of two companies slugging it out? blink.png

I hope Pepsi puts a raping butt hurt on these sheisters.

• Like 2

It is horrible (the taste of Est) They are squeezing the mom and pop shops they supply. stock Pepsi and we will not deliver anything anymore is what these shops are told I was told by the owner of the store in my condo downstairs.

In my years in Thailand this is the 4th time I've seen this done. Pizza Company (Pizza Hut), Chang (Carlsberg). True (Orange) and now Est. It is clear Thai business partners will copy any foreign brands product and then boot out the foreign partner.

W

China will do the same however not with pizza or carbonate drinks, but with aeronautic (Airbus, Dassault fighter aircraft Rafale)

high speed train (Siemens) for instance. They call that technology transfer LOL

Hard to feel sorry for Pepsi IMO. They have used their mega corporation tactics for years to get market share.

Now EST comes onto the market... looking very much like pepsi, using the bottling plants and distribution network built up by pepsi. (tasting different obviously) What would be a clear commercial rip off in many countries.

This is just two big companies slugging it out. Long term I would be putting my money on Pepsi as they can afford to throw more cash around.

As for me I remain unaffected, rarely drinking any carbonated beverage.

A company copied Pepsi's look, and is using the distribution network and bottling plants built up by Pepsi, but it's just another case of two companies slugging it out? blink.png

I hope Pepsi puts a raping butt hurt on these sheisters.

It was very brazen indeed. But yes, just two huge companies slugging it out, getting away with what they can.

Never seen or heard of EST, so all very interesting, doubt either company above dirty tricks. Asked the wife who likes Pepsi and she didn't like EST at all, although she doesn't mind Big Cola.

The only Soda I ever drink is Soda Water (when sparkling mineral unavailable) with a lime squeezed into it. Apparently lemons and limes have quite a strong anti-cancer effect, so not only zero calories with vitamin C but also good for you, something you wont get from any bottler.

Wow this is such such old news! Being reported on Thai already 2-3 weeks.

Why did it take Thai English rags so much time to pick up on it? or did they?

Are they scared of the biggest Thai food company involved in the take over??

The other Thai news at the moment is the Asbestos scandal.

Perhaps the English rags will pick that one up or may be better lest unknown.

What's the asbestos scandal?

Seems it was banned this year for building purposes but some companies are still using it, Thai news wouldn't say which company.

Google Uk seems to have the answer though not sure about Thai google i was logged into my UK account.

Would be nice to have a report in English though!!

Edited by monkfish

Seems it was banned this year for building purposes but some companies are still using it, Thai news wouldn't say which company.

Google Uk seems to have the answer though not sure about Thai google i was logged into my UK account.

I understand that asbestos was banned 2 years ago.

I believe legislation was finally passed in 2012 to ban it in building materials but not much info in the Thai English press at all!!

The real point though is 1 major manufacturer of building materials is ignoring the ban and the media won't let on which.

Never seen or heard of EST, so all very interesting, doubt either company above dirty tricks. Asked the wife who likes Pepsi and she didn't like EST at all, although she doesn't mind Big Cola.

The only Soda I ever drink is Soda Water (when sparkling mineral unavailable) with a lime squeezed into it. Apparently lemons and limes have quite a strong anti-cancer effect, so not only zero calories with vitamin C but also good for you, something you wont get from any bottler.

I believe there is sugar in Soda water.

If you drink it regularly and in volume, the differences are noticeable.

I believe there is sugar in Soda water.

And you believe this because?

• Like 1

I thought it was over 30 yrs ago