Honda 500Cc Family - News And Reviews

canuckamuck

There is another thread about this, but it is primarily speculation of a new bike coming to Thailand. As its title suggests http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583461-cbr-500cc-leaked-pic/

Now the bikes are actually on the street; so here is a fresh thread to be filled with facts and impressions about the three new Honda CB 500's.

Here is a general look by HFL http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/meet-the-cbr500-family/

Here are two links about the bike I am most interested in, the CB500X

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/12/2013-honda-cb500x-first-look/

http://www.amoztsa.com/2013-honda-cb-500-x.html

Any actual rider comments would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rode a 500R up and down the Bigwing car park in CM. Very similar feel to the CBR250 - a bit toy-like in the lightness of controls, lightweight enough for traffic. Much more zoom than the 250, which makes it a potential fun bike for weekends, and it seems on paper enough power for decent long- range touring through mountains. Sound is subdued, not unpleasant. Riding position feels slightly more upright than 250, and the F is more so (and the X even more when it comes in Feb/March). Seat may be ok for lighter riders, but XL riders and above will probably want some more padding.

I don't like the looks so much - lots of plastic, and that wide open rear end that throws water onto pillions (and demands ingenuity for mounting luggage systems).

I don't see it becoming a classic for collectors 20 or 30 years from now. Doesn't have the "x" factor of its bigger brethren - the 600 and 1000 cc machines. Overall, I think it will be a very practical bike for everyday out-of-town use, although a run to Mae Hong Son would be a better test than a dawdle in the car park.

I took it for a spin at Big Wing Bangkok yesterday. Same thing though. The test ride area wasn't big enough to really get a feel for the bike.

So, Bug Wing is the only place you can test ride/buy one? If so, it maybe a few weeks before those of us in Phattaya get a chance to see one.....out of interest. biggrin.png

i would imagine some of the rental places will have them in the New year.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems there are one or two on the roads now, It might be that we will get some 1st hand reports rolling in. But as far as I can see, there is going to be a very small trickle of bikes coming off the line in the next few months. So we aren't going to know a lot about these bikes quickly.

Still, any reports will be appreciated.

It seems there are one or two on the roads now, It might be that we will get some 1st hand reports rolling in. But as far as I can see, there is going to be a very small trickle of bikes coming off the line in the next few months. So we aren't going to know a lot about these bikes quickly.

Still, any reports will be appreciated.

The one thing that seems odd to me so far is the lack of any road reports anywhere on the web.

I mean real world not a magazine trial at the unveiling. Even You Tube is only Official Trailer type videos.

Did the rest of the world not get these bikes yet?

^

it is bizarre only 2 shops in the whole country selling them

Mania correct no where in the world has these bikes yet set for release April I think

3 shops. Bangkok. Pattaya. Chiang Mai. With more coming.

sent from my Q6

In a country of 70 million that seems a little odd to me.

I understand it is a business plan/decision but I just wonder how sound it is.

Surely in places like the US no such policy exists & any Honda dealer can sell them.

Perhaps it is down to servicing them?

In any case even at that I would think Honda Thailand might instead consider making dealers sell at a fixed price

but allow dealer network to stock & sell them. Even if they demand servicing being done at Big Wings only.

Just would seem a better path to releasing new products & getting them out to Joe Public IMHO

In a country of 70 million that seems a little odd to me.

I understand it is a business plan/decision but I just wonder how sound it is.

Surely in places like the US no such policy exists & any Honda dealer can sell them.

Perhaps it is down to servicing them?

In any case even at that I would think Honda Thailand might instead consider making dealers sell at a fixed price

but allow dealer network to stock & sell them. Even if they demand servicing being done at Big Wings only.

Just would seem a better path to releasing new products & getting them out to Joe Public IMHO

It very simple. How many of those 70 million are going to buy a 500 this year. Its exactly how Kawasaki started. How many dealers did they have on month one. .. . One. How many now 3 years later . . 6-7 maybe 10 tops.

Give them time they only officially opened last month.

sent from my Q6

• Like 1

It very simple. How many of those 70 million are going to buy a 500 this year. Its exactly how Kawasaki started. How many dealers did they have on month one. .. . One. How many now 3 years later . . 6-7 maybe 10 tops.

Give them time they only officially opened last month.

For sure & true about Kawasaki.

But unlike Honda they had no presence

But as to how many of those 70 million will buy a CBR500?

A lot less than possible given only 3 places to buy or see one.

But what I was getting at is given Honda's major presence already in Thailand

seems a shame not to use that network to at least show or sell a Honda family product.

Sure they can require service be only at Big Wings & sales be at a fixed Honda determined price etc.

Edited by mania

^

it is bizarre only 2 shops in the whole country selling them

Mania correct no where in the world has these bikes yet set for release April I think

sent from my Q6

Pattaya big wing is not open yet. Not sure why but they dont seem to be in a big hurry.

The Honda CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X are only assembled in Thailand, according to Honda Thailand press release, so the question is where most of the parts are manufactured as the product cannot qualify as Made in Thailand...

Source: Bangkok Post, Honda Thailand Press release and Honda Thailand international press release all speak about the new Honda 500cc series as being assembled in Thailand not Made in Thailand...

So which country they actual produce the parts, which has cheaper production to Thailand and has the ability to ship motorcycle with a free trade agreement to the Thai assembling factory.... China...

Even the Ducati Monster 795 is Made in Thailand because most parts are made in Thailand, even they have a huge part of parts imported from a none free-trade-country like Italy.

Even some Chinese companies who setup businesses in Thailand can claim, with government approvement, that they Made in Thailand.

No the the new Honda CBR500R, CB500F and CB500F can only get the status of being assembled in Thailand...

The Honda CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X are only assembled in Thailand, according to Honda Thailand press release, so the question is where most of the parts are manufactured as the product cannot qualify as Made in Thailand...

Source: Bangkok Post, Honda Thailand Press release and Honda Thailand international press release all speak about the new Honda 500cc series as being assembled in Thailand not Made in Thailand...

So which country they actual produce the parts, which has cheaper production to Thailand and has the ability to ship motorcycle with a free trade agreement to the Thai assembling factory.... China...

Even the Ducati Monster 795 is Made in Thailand because most parts are made in Thailand, even they have a huge part of parts imported from a none free-trade-country like Italy.

Even some Chinese companies who setup businesses in Thailand can claim, with government approvement, that they Made in Thailand.

No the the new Honda CBR500R, CB500F and CB500F can only get the status of being assembled in Thailand...

Interesting they can say ducati monster is made in thailand as only 12% are local products.

Edited by yankee99

Very interesting, I did not know that the “Made in Thailand” Ducati Monster 795 was only produced for 12% in Thailand. So that makes me wonder if even Ducati can claim “Made in Thailand” with only 12% parts produced in Thailand, how much parts of the “Assembled in Thailand” Honda CBR500R, CB500F, and CB500X are actual Thai parts.

The rumor and the increased Chinese container shipments to the Thai motorcycle facility actual tells us maybe the truth of the origin…

Very interesting, I did not know that the “Made in Thailand” Ducati Monster 795 was only produced for 12% in Thailand. So that makes me wonder if even Ducati can claim “Made in Thailand” with only 12% parts produced in Thailand, how much parts of the “Assembled in Thailand” Honda CBR500R, CB500F, and CB500X are actual Thai parts.

The rumor and the increased Chinese container shipments to the Thai motorcycle facility actual tells us maybe the truth of the origin…

Give it a rest mate. The I phone is made in China and it's a quality product because of quality control, just like Honda would be. It's when Chinese companies do things of their own back when problems start.
  • Like 2

I think you still do not understand, nowadays everything is made in china but parts or products made for companies like honda or ducati are strictly supervised where ever they are made unlike other chinese bikes.

That does not mean it is originated from China!

So do you call an iphone chinese too? :lol:

But how come ducati claimed as made in thailand, i am not sure too!

What is the limit legally to claim something as made in Thailand? Anyone knows?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I think you still do not understand, nowadays everything is made in china but parts or products made for companies like honda or ducati are strictly supervised where ever they are made unlike other chinese bikes.

That does not mean it is originated from China!

So do you call an iphone chinese too? laugh.png

But how come ducati claimed as made in thailand, i am not sure too!

What is the limit legally to claim something as made in Thailand? Anyone knows?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Tiger Boxer 250 had the worst quality of any bike i ever had the misfortune of owning

it was so shit the factory bought it back from me because it spent more time at the service centre

than i spent riding it

the service centre couldnt even fix their own bike inside the warranty period and sent it back to the factory who also

couldnt fix it ,i beleieve they also are made from chinese parts assembled in thailand but to compare it to honda or kawaski would be just laughable

Would that be the rumour you are trying start by any chance, it's pretty obvious the parts come from japan Richard ,just as I proved to you with the crf wheels when you was trying to tell me that klx/crf uses the same wheels as Chinese manufactures funny they have a big stamp on saying made in japan.

• Like 1

I have just seen the CBR500R in my local showroom, thought it was a 250 until I got up very close, why would you spend 204k on a bike that looks identical to the 250 with obvious exceptions of course, what a big disappointment, after reading about this bike and assuming it was going to look a bit like the CBR1000 it just looks like the 250's dad, definitely forget this bike and go for the new Kawasaki 250 or the ER6n, Honda seem to be going backwards in design whilst Kawasaki are moving forward! although the CBR250R is awesome and definitely worth buying over this lame duck!

Edited by dogpoo

I have just seen the CBR500R in my local showroom, thought it was a 250 until I got up very close, why would you spend 204k on a bike that looks identical to the 250 with obvious exceptions of course, what a big disappointment, after reading about this bike and assuming it was going to look a bit like the CBR1000 it just looks like the 250's dad, definitely forget this bike and go for the new Kawasaki 250 or the ER6n, Honda seem to be going backwards in design whilst Kawasaki are moving forward! although the CBR250R is awesome and definitely worth buying over this lame duck!

Poo. You miss the point. The 500 uses all that is good about the 250 and makes it slightly bigger and faster. A good result in my opinion. Also you could do with glasses if you think they look identical :)

sent from my Q6

• Like 1