Honda 500Cc Family - News And Reviews

canuckamuck

I have just seen the CBR500R in my local showroom, thought it was a 250 until I got up very close, why would you spend 204k on a bike that looks identical to the 250 with obvious exceptions of course, what a big disappointment, after reading about this bike and assuming it was going to look a bit like the CBR1000 it just looks like the 250's dad, definitely forget this bike and go for the new Kawasaki 250 or the ER6n, Honda seem to be going backwards in design whilst Kawasaki are moving forward! although the CBR250R is awesome and definitely worth buying over this lame duck!

Poo. You miss the point. The 500 uses all that is good about the 250 and makes it slightly bigger and faster. A good result in my opinion. Also you could do with glasses if you think they look identical :)

sent from my Q6

I am not technical, with me it is all about looks, so for me it's not worth the extra 80k it looks just like the 250 to me, yes a little bit bigger, a little bit faster but looks very similar! If I was looking for a bike I would be straight down to Kawasaki and get the much better looking Ninja 250 or the ER6n! Or of course the 250R and like me put extras on it to make it look pretty!

Edited by dogpoo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe Passion is a better word for describing bikes ;)

Has to light a fire so to speak in most looking at sport type bikes.

I have seen the CBR up close & while not my cup of tea

does exhibit the good fit & finish Honda is known for.

Although back to fit & finish some things like tank mounting etc could have been done nicer.

I did not look too closely because as I said not my cup of tea.

But yes I agree that the look of it does not inspire me sport bike wise.

The new Ninja 250 did & that is the direction I went. But taste is personal

& I am sure it appeals to many.

• Like 1

I have just seen the CBR500R in my local showroom, thought it was a 250 until I got up very close, why would you spend 204k on a bike that looks identical to the 250 with obvious exceptions of course, what a big disappointment, after reading about this bike and assuming it was going to look a bit like the CBR1000 it just looks like the 250's dad, definitely forget this bike and go for the new Kawasaki 250 or the ER6n, Honda seem to be going backwards in design whilst Kawasaki are moving forward! although the CBR250R is awesome and definitely worth buying over this lame duck!

cbr250 is "awesome" but the cbr500 is "a step backwards in design" ?

i dont know if i agree that ,twice the power and only a bit heavier

factory fitted immobiliser key ?

probably much more economical due to brand new d4esigned modern engine

i think youve got it the wrong way around ,kawasaki 650 range are hardly state of the

art technology even though i am a happy owner of a versys and a ninja 650 and ive owned a couple of er6ns

as well

i think the kawasakis could give a bit more value for money and adda bit more technology especially

now the gap in price has widened even more and the versys is 100k more expensive (unconfirmed new price 319k ? )

But what I was getting at is given Honda's major presence already in Thailand

seems a shame not to use that network to at least show or sell a Honda family product.

Sure they can require service be only at Big Wings & sales be at a fixed Honda determined price etc.

Totally disagree. It's a good thing they took big bikes away from the clueless dealers, and moved them into the Big Wing centers, where they have the tools and trained mechanics to properly maintain these bikes.

It's the right move.

• Like 1

But what I was getting at is given Honda's major presence already in Thailand

seems a shame not to use that network to at least show or sell a Honda family product.

Sure they can require service be only at Big Wings & sales be at a fixed Honda determined price etc.

Totally disagree. It's a good thing they took big bikes away from the clueless dealers, and moved them into the Big Wing centers, where they have the tools and trained mechanics to properly maintain these bikes.

It's the right move.

Actually I agree & that is what I wrote wink.png

I was talking about using their vast network for exposure only.

Edited by mania

Wanted to guys let you know of one weird thing here. First of all if you go to bigwing website you will notice that PRices are back on the website as well as Finance Options. Looking closely 2 down-payments 10 and 15 % which makes 31,500 and 42,000 bht with interest on 3 years 6.5%. However it seems these prices are only applicable to BIG WING BANGKOK.

Finances in Chiang Mai are dealt by Nyom Panich and they require 50k down-payment and your interest will be 9% regardless of the time you take it on, which is quite unfair I think. I asked why is that and the only reply given was thats the conditions with Nyom Panich.

Edited by sup3r1or

Wanted to guys let you know of one weird thing here. First of all if you go to bigwing website you will notice that PRices are back on the website as well as Finance Options. Looking closely 2 down-payments 10 and 15 % which makes 31,500 and 42,000 bht with interest on 3 years 6.5%. However it seems these prices are only applicable to BIG WING BANGKOK.

Finances in Chiang Mai are dealt by Nyom Panich and they require 50k down-payment and your interest will be 9% regardless of the time you take it on, which is quite unfair I think. I asked why is that and the only reply given was thats the conditions with Nyom Panich.

I guess people reading this will go to bkk big wing. Same happend to me at mityon.big bike. They wanted 9% went to bkk and got 3.49%

I guess people reading this will go to bkk big wing. Same happend to me at mityon.big bike. They wanted 9% went to bkk and got 3.49%

Would strongly suggest to everyone here to go to BKK BigWing, it will save you a fortune overtime.

Would strongly suggest to everyone here to go to BKK BigWing, it will save you a fortune overtime.

Just don't go on a Wednesday, they're closed as I found out at lunch time...

• Like 2

Very interesting, I did not know that the “Made in Thailand” Ducati Monster 795 was only produced for 12% in Thailand. So that makes me wonder if even Ducati can claim “Made in Thailand” with only 12% parts produced in Thailand, how much parts of the “Assembled in Thailand” Honda CBR500R, CB500F, and CB500X are actual Thai parts.

The rumor and the increased Chinese container shipments to the Thai motorcycle facility actual tells us maybe the truth of the origin…

The Ducati factory out at Amata City is a fairly large concern. Maybe most of the size is storage space and the manufacturing area is about the size of a one bedroom condo!

So now finally there are a few ride reports rolling in, all be it on the previous thread.

Here is Loserlazers input: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583461-cbr-500cc-leaked-pic/page__st__1200#entry6012472

I had hoped we would start with a clean thread with a better title and not 49 pages of speculation before the first hands on impresssions. Also inclusive of the other two 500CC models to come. But whatever, I will follow either thread no matter how it turns out. Congrats LL and Sup3r1or for being first on the road with these bikes. you are in an exclusive club, for now.

• Like 1

I think you still do not understand, nowadays everything is made in china but parts or products made for companies like honda or ducati are strictly supervised where ever they are made unlike other chinese bikes.

That does not mean it is originated from China!

So do you call an iphone chinese too? laugh.png

But how come ducati claimed as made in thailand, i am not sure too!

What is the limit legally to claim something as made in Thailand? Anyone knows?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Tiger Boxer 250 had the worst quality of any bike i ever had the misfortune of owning

it was so shit the factory bought it back from me because it spent more time at the service centre

than i spent riding it

the service centre couldnt even fix their own bike inside the warranty period and sent it back to the factory who also

couldnt fix it ,i beleieve they also are made from chinese parts assembled in thailand but to compare it to honda or kawaski would be just laughable

So that's why the BIB didn'tt bother to give chase should someone ride past a road block.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a good photo - but there's an interesting 'adventure styled' CB 500X at the Bangkok Bike Show in Central World ....

post-64119-0-15481000-1359628271_thumb.j

It has Ohlins USD forks (and so new fork yokes) and the ignition key support seems to have been cut and then bolted to the new top yolk.

Nice crash bars and luggage, extra spot lights and a very tall screen.

The Versys still looks better to me though.

Not a good photo - but there's an interesting 'adventure styled' CB 500X at the Bangkok Bike Show in Central World ....

It has Ohlins USD forks (and so new fork yokes) and the ignition key support seems to have been cut and then bolted to the new top yolk.

Yeah but 100,000 thb more!

Cbx has great value imo and i m sure can do anything versys can do in Thailand besides 20 kg lighter.

Cbx has great value imo and i m sure can do anything versys can do in Thailand besides 20 kg lighter.

The Versy has better suspension and is quicker.

Using that logic I'm not sure why you'd spend 100k upgrading from the cbr250 to the cbr500 to be honest. You want a better bike you pay more, simple isn't it?

Actually the difference is only 10kg. 206 to the CBX's 196.

guys, i am not questioning the better spec and quality of versys here, of course versys is a better bike.

But, value of cbx500 is perfect for Thailand and for masses, beginners as cbx can climb the hills of North as much as versys can climb and can do 150 kmh as versys can do too at the end - which people mostly tour on these kind of bikes less than that.

So, if you want to tour and go for mild trails, it is an cheaper option of versys so we must be happy here to have a choice 100 k less than versys. What is wrong with that?

Besides, some people might not want to throw more money - 100 k - on versys and be satisfied with less power and ride as some might find that extra power excessive or fuel expenses high on versys.

There are many factor for riders to choose their bikes and they are not only top speed or suspensions.

And versys with ABS is 209 kg wet.

• Like 1

guys, i am not questioning the better spec and quality of versys here, of course versys is a better bike.

But, value of cbx500 is perfect for Thailand and for masses, beginners as cbx can climb the hills of North as much as versys can climb and can do 150 kmh as versys can do too at the end - which people mostly tour on these kind of bikes less than that.

So, if you want to tour and go for mild trails, it is an cheaper option of versys so we must be happy here to have a choice 100 k less than versys. What is wrong with that?

Besides, some people might not want to throw more money - 100 k - on versys and be satisfied with less power and ride as some might find that extra power excessive or fuel expenses high on versys.

There are many factor for riders to choose their bikes and they are not only top speed or suspensions.

And versys with ABS is 209 kg wet.

That should mean perfect for the expat masses. For the average Thai it`s impractical and they stand more chance of walking on the moon than ever being able to afford one. We`re lucky in having a lot of disposable income but we`re still a limited market and probably not too important in the bigger picture.

I don't have specs in front of me, so cannot check whether it was dry or wet weight, but I do recall that the CRX 500 is 187kg.

Honda Thailand's spec is saying 197kg

http://www.aphonda.co.th/hondabigwing/home-test.ashx#product-CBR500X-spec.html

Yep - my error. 197 it is. And does "curb weight" mean wet or dry? If dry, that means another 15+ kilos on the road.

Yep - my error. 197 it is. And does "curb weight" mean wet or dry? If dry, that means another 15+ kilos on the road.

Yes "curb weight" is confusing isn't it?

I liked wet & dry better myself smile.png

But yes curb is wet weight with full tank of fuel & coolants added.

A good way to remember is the bike is curbside & ready to go.

Edited by mania

^

it is bizarre only 2 shops in the whole country selling them

Mania correct no where in the world has these bikes yet set for release April I think

3 shops. Bangkok. Pattaya. Chiang Mai. With more coming.

sent from my Q6

Pattaya is still a pile of rubble, they advertised as a dealer at the bike fest but its way way from being open yet.