Images Of Chiang Rai

mcgriffith

I considered posting this in the haze or Pm thread but settled on posting it here as this is an ever present sight this time of year in Chiang Rai. This was taken this afternoon in the front yard. There are usually a few of these everyday and a few more every night.

Smoke%2520%2520001.jpg

Very clear compared to our place.

I tried the macro button on my Canon the other day and wasn't all that impressed, my old Casio was far better, so I decided to try the iPad.

Never been much of one for using gadgets as cameras but the iPad has a number of applications that make it an interesting photographic toy.

We recently painted the gate and the paint has attracted ants, the black variety have one end and the larger reds the other.

The reds stay put but defend their turf against the more territorially aggressive blacks.

8484624492_98a691a470.jpg

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of reservoirs. Whether in villages or in the mountains they are a lovely place to spend some time reflecting on the beauty of Chiang Rai.

bigsky%2520%2520%2520006.jpg

Villagefarang,More beautiful shots from behind your lens! Great. Keep shutterbugg'n. siamiamtom

• Like 2

Blithesome Blogger,The images you captured are terrific! Truly wonderful.My family and I are in the process of relocating to Chiangrai.Someday I hope our paths cross.Great compositions! Thanks siamiamtom

Always nice to hear from a fan.smile.png Thank you for the kind words. Hope your relocation goes smoothly and I am sure we will cross paths someday.smile.png

933 steps up the hillside at Bandu Monastery to visit the secluded foot print of Budda - The footprints of Budda symbolize the Buddha's presence, as they are believed to be the imprints where the Budda actually touched the ground.

post-42806-0-41841700-1363998134_thumb.j

post-42806-0-71761000-1363998253_thumb.j

post-42806-0-12080400-1363998616_thumb.j

post-42806-0-55008700-1363998735_thumb.j

post-42806-0-47636500-1363999004_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This was taken in the Textile Museum at Chiang Rai Rajabhat University. If you are coming from the airport - heading towards Mae Sai, turn left into the University Avenue. Enter the University and drive down around 1/2 km. There is restaurant for students on the right hand side. The Textile Museum is located near the exit from the restaurant complex.

post-21351-0-14958200-1365736223_thumb.j

Edited by toybits
  • Like 1

Smoke is popular on thaivisa but smoke is not popular with the residents in the North.
It is difficult to make an image showing smoke.

Earlier this week I have found a burning tree at the edge of a forest in Wawi district.
I decided to post an image to show the contrast between the normal green landscape
with blue sky and the smoke filled landscape at the end of the dry season.

An obituary of the burning tree.

The tree in the images, or at least part of the tree, is a strangling fig (Ficus).
About half, of the 30 Ficus species in northern Thailand, are 'strangling' figs.

Strangling or strangler figs start life as an epiphyte on a host tree. The seeds
are dropped by birds which ate the figs and passed out the seeds unharmed. The
advantage of starting higher up: more light is available than in the deep shade
of the forest floor.

Once lodged on a host tree, the seed sends out roots which seek water and nutrients
as an epiphytic plant. When the roots touch the ground, they start drawing water
and nutrients more easily: the strangler starts growing as a tree.

Over time the roots encircle the trunk of the host tree and self-graft under pressure.
The roots thicken and become 'root stems' for their own crown.

The trunk of the host tree cannot grow outwards anymore and is gradually 'ringed'.
The strangler fig also competes for light and water and eventually kills the host
tree, leaving it standing with a hollow center.

Fig tree wood has no commercial value and this strangler has survived the logging
which has removed or degraded the surrounding forest.

Hill tribe farmers started to use the logged forest to cultivate crops. The spreading
crown took away light for the crops below so they cut the branches. (The bamboo pegs
hammered into the large branches and the tied bamboo pole are visible.) Eventually
the farmers decided to remove the tree by the only method available to them: fire.

If the fields are left undisturbed for a long period of time, a secondary forest of
fast growing trees will develop. Strangling figs will colonize these trees and their
crowns will provide the shade for other rain forest trees to germinate.

post-54996-0-67454200-1365768609_thumb.j

post-54996-0-48293800-1365768636_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...